Wedding Reception Forum
Options

no microphone?

We're trying to decide if we need to set up a microphone for toasts at our small wedding (less than 50 guests). Our officiant is bring a mic/PA system for the ceremony, but she will be leaving with it afterwards and not staying for the reception. We are not having a DJ, but are bringing in speakers from home which will play music from an iPod during the reception. Unfortunately we can't easily hook up a mic to this system.

Dinner will be outside; dancing and cake-cutting will be inside. The way I see it, we could either have toasts during dinner (outside), OR right before the cake-cutting (inside). If done during dinner, some people would be as far as 40 feet away from the person speaking, so I'm afraid they may not hear without a mic.

So my question is, do we need a microphone? And if we go mic-less, would it be best to have toasts indoors to minimize ambient noise?

Re: no microphone?

• Options
    I think with that small of a wedding its manageable. The only thing I would worry about is that everything's not in the same space. I went to a wedding a month ago where they had part indoor-part outdoor (no mic) and people missed the cake cutting, first dances, toasts, etc because they didn't get the message. At one point the bride came up and asked me to run around telling people it was time for spotlight dances. I did my best bit the city WD was still small. They had about 125 people though so maybe that was the problem...
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I think a mic is essential. The person speaking is (presumably) not a professional speaker and won't know to project their voice so they're heard. You're going to end up with a bunch of people yelling "speak up!". Get the mic so everyone can hear comfortably.
  • Options
    Thanks! I talked with FI tonight and worked out the mic situation, so we'll definitely have one now. He even already has something we can bring.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards