Wedding Party

How common is it for brides to be each other's MOHs?

Just as the post asks, I am wondering how often a bride serves as the MOH for the same girl who was picked to be MOH in her wedding? Is it considered hurtful to just be asked as a bridesmaid by a bride who was your MOH? Were you personally the MOH for the woman you chose to stand as your MOH?

Re: How common is it for brides to be each other's MOHs?

• I suppose if I had a twin sister and was very close to her, I might feel hurt if we weren't each other's MOH, but otherwise, I wouldn't be hurt if my MOH were to ask someone else to be her MOH.  We're different people with different relationships.
  • My MOH will be having her sister as her MOH.  They were both in my wedding, and I am in both of their weddings, one in September and one in May.  I wouldn't expect to be chosen over a sister, so I completely understand not being my MOH's MOH.  I have, however, attended two weddings for other friends who were each other's MOHs.  

• I was, but my sister was my MOH and I was one of hers. My sister's other MOH had my oater be a BM at her wedding. NBD.
  • My sister and I were each others MOHs.  As for the rest of my bridesmaids, one was already married when I met her, so no reciprocal bridal party there, and I'm not sure I'd be asked either of other bridesmaids gets married - DH's youngest sister has three other sisters and a bunch of friends and sorority sisters I think she'd turn to, for example.  It's not a big deal - relationships and friendships change and evolve.
    Anniversary

• I was my BFF's MOH (along with her other BFF) in her wedding 3 years ago. I chose not to have a bridal party and I know she get really upset by the fact that she wasn't going to get to be in my wedding. I thought it was completely immature but she's over it now.
  • I was a BM in my BFF's wedding because she chose her cousin to be MOH.  But for my wedding, I had my BFF be CO-MOHs with my sister.  Weddings aren't tit for tat, so its not necessary to have the same positions in each other's weddings or even have someone in your wedding when you were in theirs.  Picking WPs are personal decisions and while it's ok to be bummed about something, it shouldn't be held against that bride or groom.
  • I am getting married in October and my MOH is my closest cousin. I chose her over my BFF because we are very close and i know that we can fight and get over it because we are family. She also chose me as her MOH for her wedding next May, maybe for the same reason. But i certainly would not have been offended if she had asked me to be a bridesmaid instead.
  • Me and my sister were/will be eachother MOH's

Anniversary
  • I have 2 best friends and we have all been each other's MOH's. My one friend got married first and me and the other were co-MOH's. Next year I will get married and they are my co-MOH's and when the third gets married we will be hers. However, I have no sisters and neither does my friend who will be getting married after me. Our one best friend who got married a few years ago has a sister but we were her MOH's and her sister was perfectly fine with that.

So to answer your question I am sure it is common however it doesn't have to be that way. Like one of the brides said, all relationships are different so you need to choose whomever is closest to you and think will be there by your side to support you through the process. :)

• I have been in 5 weddings, and 4 of those brides are in my wedding next month.  The 5th isn't, mostly because she had a short engagement and had asked me to be in hers after I had already set my bridal party.  There is no REQUIREMENT to go tit-for-tat or reciprocate or anything, but to me it felt right because these women really are my nearest and dearest. 

Of those 5 weddings, I was a MOH once, and that bride is now my Matron of Honor.  I am also having a Maid of Honor, but when she gets married, she wants to elope, which I fully support. :)
  • I picked my sister for my MOH and my cousin and FI sister for BM. FI sister was married long before I met FI and my cousin got married a year ago and I wasn't in her wedding but was invited to the bachelorette party and such. My sister (MOH) is not married yet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My sister and I were each other's MOHs.

My best friend chose another friend as MOH. I'm not surprised. And I am not upset. I am a BM.

I also asked a girl to be a bridesmaid after her wedding where she had asked me to be a reader at her wedding (so obviously I was not one of her bridesmaids and she had 7 or 8). Not upset.
  • Me and my sister were/will be eachother MOH's
    This was us.   Not only that when my sister got engaged she said "you know you are my MOH and I'm going to be yours"

Ha.   Luckily I like my sister.

I was a MOH at another wedding.  She wasn't even in my WP.   She was at my wedding though.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • KPBM89 said:
    My MOH will be having her sister as her MOH.  They were both in my wedding, and I am in both of their weddings, one in September and one in May.  I wouldn't expect to be chosen over a sister, so I completely understand not being my MOH's MOH.  I have, however, attended two weddings for other friends who were each other's MOHs.  
    My situation is exactly this. I have two cousins in my bridal party, one as MOH and one as a BM. They are very close, and I expect my MOH will ask her sister (my BM) to be her MOH). I definitely won't be hurt by this! 

Friendships can change a lot over time. Just because two women were best friends when one got married doesn't mean they'll be as close when the other gets married. Also, people have different groups of friends. One of my BMs has been in 8 weddings and has three scheduled for next year. She isn't going to ask all 11 of us to be in her wedding. 
  • I probably won't be MOH for my MOH. She'll probably have a traditional Indian wedding and they don't have bridal attendants. 
  • My MoH is my sister, and I was her MOH. FI was BIL's Best Man, but his brother will be best man at our wedding. I was a BM for one of my BMs and for one girl who is doing a reading for us. My other BM is not married.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I didn't even go to my MOH's wedding (I was invited but it was DW and I just couldn't afford it). As for my two BMs, one I was a BM is her wedding and I was a guest book attendant for my other BM. Confession: I did briefly think I should make her a guest book attendant as revenge. But I wouldn't even do that to my worst enemy.
  • I think I am one of the rare ones...my BFFE and I got engaged within a few weeks of eachother and will be eachother's MOHs. We have had an interesting on and off relationship over the years but now it's stronger than ever and I can't picture mine and FH's big day without her by my side!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards