Wedding Reception Forum

How to run reception smoothly when only having small family supper

Hi,
I am trying to figure out how to have the start of our wedding reception run smoothly. We are having an afternoon ceremony with a break after to allow to time for our formal photos. Then we are having a small but formal dinner where we will just have our family and wedding party. The dinner is to take place at the reception location. But I am wondering, since our family and wedding party will already be there when the rest of the guests arrive after dinner has been taken care of, do we also then sit and wait for the rest of our guests or do we leave to re-enter again once everyone else shows up? It just seems silly to sit and wait but seems kind of awkward for our family who has already spent time with us to see us leave and return again. Has anyone else had a similar situation and how did you run things smoothly?

Re: How to run reception smoothly when only having small family supper

• Why are some guests arriving after dinner? Are they going to be at your wedding? If so, you should be feeding them too.
  • Hi,
    I am trying to figure out how to have the start of our wedding reception run smoothly. We are having an afternoon ceremony with a break after to allow to time for our formal photos. Then we are having a small but formal dinner where we will just have our family and wedding party. The dinner is to take place at the reception location. But I am wondering, since our family and wedding party will already be there when the rest of the guests arrive after dinner has been taken care of, do we also then sit and wait for the rest of our guests or do we leave to re-enter again once everyone else shows up? It just seems silly to sit and wait but seems kind of awkward for our family who has already spent time with us to see us leave and return again. Has anyone else had a similar situation and how did you run things smoothly?
    It sounds like you are having a tiered wedding.  Inviting some people for dinner only and some just for the dancing after dinner?  If so, this is incredibly rude.  You're already realizing how awkward this can be just by posting your dilema.  Please don't do it.  Invite everyone to everything.  If you can't afford it, cut back your guest list or cut back in other ways.  We'd be happy to help you with ideas.
  • JoanE2012 said:
    Hi,
    It sounds like you are having a tiered wedding.  Inviting some people for dinner only and some just for the dancing after dinner?  If so, this is incredibly rude.  You're already realizing how awkward this can be just by posting your dilema.  Please don't do it.  Invite everyone to everything.  If you can't afford it, cut back your guest list or cut back in other ways.  We'd be happy to help you with ideas.

I agree.  There are few things more insulting than being invited to something after a wedding ceremony only to find that you didn't get invited to all the festivities. 
  • As you are aware, this situation is a bit awkward. Your best solution would be to host what you can afford and to avoid a tiered reception. You may have trouble finding anyone here with first-hand advice since we try to advise against this type of thing.
  • The situation is awkward because it's extremely rude. How would those guests feel when they show up after dinner and realize the "inner circle" was just hosted for a meal, while they only show up afterward with no food? Please rethink your plans. Your current plan will offend some of your guests, whether they tell you so or not.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• And not only the tiered reception, don't have a "break" after your ceremony for photos. That's what a first look or cocktail hour is for. Don't make your guests sit around with nothing to do.
  • This is a very bad idea for all the reasons listed above. Would you like to only be invited to a small portion of a party? Are these late arrivals invited to the ceremony? You want them to come see you get married, go away for awhile while a select few get dinner, and then they should come back later when you have (hopefully) finished eating?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • If you really want to do something special for immediate family, perhaps you should have the meal either the night before (assuming you aren't having a rehearsal dinner) or the night after.  We are considering having breakfast with our immediate family the day of, but I'm not sure if we can fit that into the schedule yet.  I think it's fine to plan something with your immediate family, but don't make your other guests wait around for you to do it.

• While I tend to be really understanding and have an easygoing, laid back approach... I would be annoyed if invited to a ceremony, with a break, only to resume festivities later, and finding out that only some people got invited to dinner. I may be okay with the break, with lighter snacks and not a full meal, but I definitely would not be okay with all of the above combined.
  • Almie425 said:
    While I tend to be really understanding and have an easygoing, laid back approach... I would be annoyed if invited to a ceremony, with a break, only to resume festivities later, and finding out that only some people got invited to dinner. I may be okay with the break, with lighter snacks and not a full meal, but I definitely would not be okay with all of the above combined.
    agreed, it says to me...'Hey you were important enough to come and bring me a present, but not important enough for me to host properly. Thanks for the gift!!!!'
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards