Chit Chat

Future Step Daughter Getting Married Same Weekend

My FSD just called to tell us she and her FI have decided to get married the day after us in Vegas. We are very happy as we love them both. We want to gift them an event or something to the wedding. Was wondering if any Knotties have ideas on what we can do. I have posted on the Vegas board for specific locations but am looking for general ideas like the after ceremony late lunch or photography. What would you ladies prefer parents to gift? Thanks so much!
Happiness is an inside job

Re: Future Step Daughter Getting Married Same Weekend

• If I was doing something like that I'd looooove love love massages, a dinner, or tickets to a show, or maybe a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon for gifts.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I like the massage idea. She hasn't indicated what time she wants to do the ceremony, but I'd imagine it's earlier in the day. We will be at the spa during the day on Saturday since my ceremony is in the evening. I will certainly treat her then as a gift from me to her. The helicopter ride is an awesome idea too! Thank you!
  • Food or pampering would be pretty ideal. Food is always amazing, and feeling treated and pretty is a great way to feel when you're a new bride.
  • I suggested hosting at Wicked Spoon for after to FH. He liked that idea but it is a bit far from our home hotel (TI) with most flying in. It's all very exciting. She and I are very similar in that we like to research and have everything set well in advance. She's never been to Vegas, so anything she goes by will be through pictures or word of mouth. I'm hoping I can be of help since I researched ,but for something with way more people and much more formal.
  • Congratulations to both of you! Maybe you could take them out for a nice dinner after? It sounds like a wonderful weekend.
  • NdelibleNdelible member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    @MrsMcCaw‌ thank you! I'm so excited. They are very young, but such good kids. We had the honor of her FI asking for her hand during our family vacation a few weeks ago. We decided that supportive was the way to go. She's already emailing me asking opinions. It is so thrilling to bring family together like this. We had already planned on extending our weekend partying to Sunday, so we are trying to be budget friendly. We thought we'd have a little more time to save up to contribute to their wedding after ours but this is life, right?
  • I think she will be saving you guys a lot of money doing it this way : ). I agree that being supportive is the way to go. Sometimes our kids chose a different road than what we would want for them. We can only hope they will be happy and successful and be there for them if things don't go as they planned,
    My youngest daughter had her kids first, then got married to their Dad and is now in college. A little backwards but in the end all the same.
  • I think a massage would be a great gift!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • She is on it! She wants to do an in suite ceremony, 12 people tops. We have offered to pay for the suite (I'm gonna ask for the same rate we got, which is good) and host late lunch at one of the nicer buffets. The only snag I see is what to do during that time with our guests who will still be in town. One of the reasons we picked Vegas was knowing that folks are grown and want to do what they want, not what we want. Perhaps just mentioning that we will be at XXX buffet at 230.... We still have loads of FH's family there who will not be at the ceremony, so I am concerned their feelings will be hurt. But this is her choice, not mine. Any thoughts on that aspect?
  • Ndelible said:
    I like the massage idea. She hasn't indicated what time she wants to do the ceremony, but I'd imagine it's earlier in the day. We will be at the spa during the day on Saturday since my ceremony is in the evening. I will certainly treat her then as a gift from me to her. The helicopter ride is an awesome idea too! Thank you!
    My only concern with the massage idea is that it would be just a gift for her. If you go that direction, I would make sure to get something unique to her FI too. The gift should be for both of them, or they should each get individual gifts.

I like the idea of paying for their suite for the in-suite ceremony. That would be a lovely gift.
    Anniversary
  • Can I just say I really thought this was going to be a rant about a selfish bitch stepdaughter and I'm so incredibly happy it isn't?

Same here!
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • RajahBMFD Oh, I agree with you on the massage.  I'll have to think of something personal to give him as well.  Since she will be with me and the other girls at the spa, I figure she can use it.  

She just emailed me and said that she really wants to do the suite ceremony instead of a chapel.  I'll do that research for her since she has limited time to do it (she's in the ROTC individual training until next month).

pinkrevenge & kaitlynmichelle - I would have thought that same thing if I saw the thread.  I think I know more than a few people who would not be happy with the circumstances.  I love that girl and consider myself incredibly lucky to have her as my future stepdaughter.

Although, now we come to the weird part - of course her mother is going to be there.  And... well, obviously, she won't be attending our wedding and there will be plenty of our family and friends still there...  We have a cordial relationship, but I'm thinking it might be a little on the weird side.

The look on my sister's face when we told her what was going to happen was priceless.  She probably thinks I'm crazy....

• larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    Congrats on both engagments! You sound like a wonderful future step-mom. Being supportive is very good, because you only push them away if you try to force them to wait. I would encourage lots and lots of counseling.

Maybe a mother-daughter event before both days? A spa day for the two of you to bond and get excited to be married!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thanks @larrygaga‌ I am fully aware that I could have monster step children, but I don't. I am super lucky and I'll be damned if I'm gonna mess up the relationships! I am thinking that she will want and need some foot pampering. At basic training graduation, she could not stop talking about how disgusting and painful they were. She will want to have pretty feet for her ceremony. They are coming out to visit us for NYE, so I'll figure out something for the two of us. I have a son, so I do sort of princess her a little bit. Guilty!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards