Chit Chat

Wow- I got a new job!

I stopped looking for a job since DH was applying out of states. He got turned down for one of the jobs, but two interviews with another. Then- dead silence. It's been over a month since his first interview now and needless to say, he's not feeling very optimistic. He's still looking, but we have no idea how long it will take- maybe a month, maybe a year. And while this is going on, I am just getting more and more resentful at my current employer. 

Before I had stopped looking, I gave my resume to a recruiter and explained to her the place we were at with DH looking out of state. I didn't hear from her for a number of weeks. Last Thursday, DH told me I may want to start looking for a new job in Phoenix because of the lack of progress from his search. Later that day, I got an email from someone at another agency in town asking to set up a phone interview. This Friday, I was sent an offer. It's a good move. I won't be making more on paper, but with increased benefits and bonuses I'll be making another 5-10K and I'll get the title I want. Additionally, I'll be working for people who have more respect for what I do and clients who care about it more. And I'll be working for a company that seems to legitimately care about their employees- something my current place sorely lacks. 

So first thing Tuesday, I plan on giving notice at my current job. I'm super excited but now I don't want DH to get a job out of state, at least not for a while, because I don't want to start this job and then relocate a few months later. They do have some employees working remotely, so I may not have to leave the position if we move, but I would still feel bad about doing so. My concern is if I stay where I'm at and he does not find a job, I stay miserable and miss a good opportunity. And I don't want the unknown of what may or may not happen with his career hold me back today.

Do you think it is OK for me to take this job while DH looks out of state? 

Re: Wow- I got a new job!

• Woohoo! That's great, lady!

I say go for it. You can't possibly know when or if he'll get a job out of state, or how the new job will be able to accommodate that. You DO know that you're miserable. You DO know nobody ever turned their nose up at an extra 10k. Plus, if you do end up needing to find a new job again, you'll have a better title for your resume. People won't hold a relocation against you in terms of looking like a job-hopper.

Congrats!

• Congrats!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • How wonderful! Take the job. Btw, did you get your booster shirt?
  • Congratulations ladyfriend! I think you should take it - if you do end up moving out of state later, I think most employers would understand that. Just curious, do you and your DH particularly want to leave the state you live in, or is it just that he thinks he'll find more opportunity elsewhere?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• As far as career, you definitely want that title on your resume and the extra money, whether in bonuses or salary, gives you better negotiating power when/if you guys do move for his job.
  • Congratulations! That's wonderful news.
  • Thank you all for the reassurance! @NYCMercedes yes I got my shirt :D very happy with it, I hope everyone else is too. @blabla89 we'd be moving because DH's options are limited here. He does very niche financial services work- the kind that each bank only has at one or two locations nationally. He doesn't have much room to move up where we are now and there's only two or three other potential employers here in Phoenix. There's better options elsewhere.
  • Congratulations! That's so exciting, though I'm sure incredibly stressful!

I agree with the PP's- take it! There's no point in wasting away in a job that you hate waiting for something that could take a while to happen. Take the new job, learn what you can from it, then go on from there. This will work out.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • YAAAY CONGRATS!

Absolutely take it!
    Anniversary

• congrats

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Notice has just been put in! I found out that I'll still be working for a tourism client, which is fantastic. The only thing I think I'm going to ask for is another week of vacation. I finally got three weeks off and if I can keep that, it would be perfect.

I just found out that my other coworker got a job today too, and she'll be putting in her notice later on this week. We are a small department, we only have four employees + the director here in this office. And the two of us are the ones who have been with the company the longest. And the other senior person is also looking for work. Which would just leave a coordinator and the director. Needless to say- it's going to be crazy here. My remaining coworker knew we were both interviewing so it isn't a shock to her, it just underscores the need for her to get in high gear because she's going to be stuck with all of our work when we leave.
  • Congrats to you!
  • Congrats on the new job!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Yay Congrats! I know you wanted out of there badly!

• I think you are totally fine if you never job-hopped before. It only looks awful if it's a consistant thing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My boss just asked me to help with writing the job description. As I predicted, they are replacing me with a coordinator (a position below mine) and a strategist- the position I made a case for during my review in May and didn't get. 

That's exactly why I'm out of here! 
  • SBmini - Congrats on the new job!  I'm sorry they didn't give you the strategist role that you were looking for sooner - but it sounds like you are making a terrific move!

I had a similar experience when I left my last company (relocated to be closer to DH [FI at the time]) they interviewed and hired my replacement at 2 pay grades above me then less then 6 months later I found out that they had to hire another "me" because all of the work was "beneath" the person they originally hired to replace me.  REALLY?!?!?  
    Anniversary
  • That's awesome!  Congrats!  :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Aaannnddd husband has an interview in Charlotte next Thursday. It is wrong of me to hope he either doesn't get it or that they take a few months to hire him? 

• Oh... and today in a status meeting the director started the meeting by saying that he was going to announce that I was being changed to another team and that the company was going to better support my role, but instead he had to announce I was leaving. Really!? Seriously!? Gah!
  • SBmini said:
    Oh... and today in a status meeting the director started the meeting by saying that he was going to announce that I was being changed to another team and that the company was going to better support my role, but instead he had to announce I was leaving. Really!? Seriously!? Gah!

*SITB*

Ew, why would he even say that?  It's like he knows he's losing someone good, so he has to get in that little subversive dig at you.  What a jerk!

• Congrats on the new job!!!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• KatieinBklnKatieinBkln member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    SBmini said: Oh... and today in a status meeting the director started the meeting by saying that he was going to announce that I was being changed to another team and that the company was going to better support my role, but instead he had to announce I was leaving. Really!? Seriously!? Gah!

Sorry, bossman, TOO SLOW! Like, this doesn't make him look as good as he must think it does. "Oh, I was totally
    gonna step up and be a better boss, I swear." He's basically announcing to the whole company that they're better off leaving than waiting around for him to promote them.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I know, it is ridiculous. They were going to put me in a different department and have me work for someone whom I do not like. That guy I know was working on some sort of plan- but he refused to show it to me. Flat out refused when I asked. That was really my last straw here. If they are doing stuff that directly impacts me- I want to at least see what they are proposing. Then I heard nothing for more than a month. 

I felt like by making that announcement it was like they felt as if they were dangling a treat in front of me then taking it away saying "awww too bad, you missed it!" Well f them. It just is immature and uncoordinated. I think a lot of people in the room were uncomfortable with the announcement and how it was organized. 

Now the guy whose department I was going to be in wants to take me out to coffee and ask what they should look for in my replacement. I really don't want to go. I really want to tell him to go fuck himself for not including me in the conversation and that if he obviously knows so much then why the hell does he need my help? Coffee is tomorrow,s o maybe I'll calm down by then. But I'd love to tell him how I feel about him. He's such a fraud. 
  • SBmini said:
    I know, it is ridiculous. They were going to put me in a different department and have me work for someone whom I do not like. That guy I know was working on some sort of plan- but he refused to show it to me. Flat out refused when I asked. That was really my last straw here. If they are doing stuff that directly impacts me- I want to at least see what they are proposing. Then I heard nothing for more than a month. 

I felt like by making that announcement it was like they felt as if they were dangling a treat in front of me then taking it away saying "awww too bad, you missed it!" Well f them. It just is immature and uncoordinated. I think a lot of people in the room were uncomfortable with the announcement and how it was organized. 

Now the guy whose department I was going to be in wants to take me out to coffee and ask what they should look for in my replacement. I really don't want to go. I really want to tell him to go fuck himself for not including me in the conversation and that if he obviously knows so much then why the hell does he need my help? Coffee is tomorrow,s o maybe I'll calm down by then. But I'd love to tell him how I feel about him. He's such a fraud. 
    I would go, and tell him to look for someone who has zero leadership skills, doesn't mind blindly following, and does as told. Then throw your coffee in his face! (No, don't).
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards