Snarky Brides
Options

Interesting Theme Wedding...

A MEXICAN STAR TREK themed wedding.  Because why the fuck not, I guess?

Many eons ago, I dreamt of a Star Wars wedding.  That dream died when I turned 16 and realized I liked wedding dresses better than what Princess Leia wore in A New Hope.

To each their own, I suppose.  I give them points for creativity.

Has anyone been to a themed wedding?  (Not theme like "Love at first sight" or "Beachy" or something.  I mean like Legend of Zelda or FireFly or My Little Brony)
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Interesting Theme Wedding...

• Options
    mrscatymrscaty member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited September 2014
    FROM THE ARTICLE - 
    "Our wedding day played out thusly: bride in black covered in Dax dots, groom in found-online ceremonial TNG captain's top, bridal party in red TNG captain colors and groom's party in TOS mustard. Our officiant was a fellow comedian who wore a Klingon-like furrowed brow and performed the ceremony word-for-word from the episode "You Are Cordially Invited" ofDS9 when Jadzia Dax and Worf were married. My husband Mark had bought a pair of bat'leths off the internet and made the "ritual maces" our parties were to beat us with from PVC pipe and Styrofoam. We handed out small maroon bottles of bubbles to the wedding guests with labels I made featuring Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the phrase, "Make It Blow." Instead of a first dance, we fought with our bat'leths in front of family and friends as our mariachis in Star Fleet uniforms performed a weird-ass rendition of "Have You Ever Loved a Woman." We served cocktails called Cardassian Coolers and Warp Core Breaches along with a huge buffet of Mexican food. My mother, father, sister and brother-in-law made all the food, most of it from scratch, and it was delicious."

I can't even.

ETF: formatting
  • Options
    I mean, if you're going to have a Star Trek themed wedding, at least stick with the same series.

I also hate when couples do the bat'leth fights instead of a dance.  Really?  Your first "fight" instead of your first dance?  Find some other Trekkie thing to do that shows unity, not fighting.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    When did the union/joining of two people start becoming a spectacle that we have to entertain others and bring in "themes" similar to birthday parties? I will confess, I'm a Trekkie, and I adore the wedding scene where Worf and Jadzia got married. But that is a fictional show, with customs that are meaningful to those fictional characters, not to you the real person. What they did was just put on a play. A wedding is not the place for a play. 
  • Options
    DH and I are really big TNG fans. Like, watching every episode we can when it's playing on BBC America and watch all the movies. We even considered using some sort of symbol from the series as one of our table "numbers'. Heck, I bought myself a ST cross-stitch book! However, we never once considered our wedding as appropriate time to role play our geekiness.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I mean, if you're going to have a Star Trek themed wedding, at least stick with the same series.

I also hate when couples do the bat'leth fights instead of a dance.  Really?  Your first "fight" instead of your first dance?  Find some other Trekkie thing to do that shows unity, not fighting.
    To be fair, though, Klingons do spar with each other when they're mating... lol.
  • Options
    I love theme parties, but as I once read on TK, "The theme of the wedding is wedding."  You're getting married.  Extreme themes are unnecessary.  To each their own, I guess.

• Options
    luckysnorkelluckysnorkel member
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    DH and I are pretty big Trekkies, and while we joked about having a ceremony like Dax/Worf's in DS9, we never would have actually done it.  That would have been a one-way ticket to complete guest alienation.

Also, I'm with @JCbride2015, it almost seems blasphemous to mix elements from three different series.
  • Options
    We had a bunch of nerdy elements and touches, but it wasn't far enough to be a theme wedding.

If thats what people want to do, I generally won't knock them. Except twilight. I will judge that shit until the end of time.

Anniversary
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    We had a bunch of nerdy elements and touches, but it wasn't far enough to be a theme wedding. If thats what people want to do, I generally won't knock them. Except twilight. I will judge that shit until the end of time.

I was just fascinate that it was mexican and three types of star trek.  It sounded pretty cluttered, lol.

To the bolded: SHUDDER.  Off to gawk at Twilight themed weddings now because LOLZ.

• Options
    OH GOD WHY.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    When I get done billing in a little bit, I'm totally going on pinterest and searching for twilight weddings. I need some lols today.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    beethery said:
    When I get done billing in a little bit, I'm totally going on pinterest and searching for twilight weddings. I need some lols today.
    Here's a little sumthin' sumthin' to hold you over.

Anniversary

• Options
    My brother had a "Harry Potter/French countryside" themed wedding. Cuz, ya know, she had to have lavender in mason jars and that just wouldn't fit a pure HP themed wedding. <head/desk>

I wish I could report on how awful it was, but I was uninvited. Long story.

• Options
    I do not get themed weddings.  I'm all for expressing your love in a way that expresses the couple, but...

If I walk the walk, my FSD will be playing Miley Cyrus for music...

I just can't.
    Happiness is an inside job
  • Options
    I can't.

• Options
    I went to a Minecraft-themed wedding a couple years ago.  I do love games, don't get me wrong, but I really thought it was going to be the worst thing ever.  But it wasn't.  It was actually really fun, different, and had a completely different vibe to it than any other wedding I'd ever been to.  I wouldn't have done it personally, because when it comes down to it, I really did want a *pretty* wedding, but there were many elements from that wedding that I was envious of.  The best part was that everyone who was there genuinely wanted to be there and truly were close to the bride and groom.  All the "mandatory" invitees (extended family you've never really had a relationship with, old family friends that are really friends of your parents, but not yours, etc.) that you usually have to deal with weren't there.  The bride and groom got to celebrate exactly the way they wanted to with people who appreciated both them and the ceremony/reception.  There's definitely something to be said about that.
  • Options
    I can not fucking handle that ugly-ass twilight book cake. Blech!!!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    In that awful cake's defense, maybe it's a birthday cake?

• Options
    I went to a wedding where the groom is obsessed with Star Wars. As a surprise, the bride had the florist create the boutonnieres with some kind of start wars insignia pin. If you didn't know what it was, you wouldn't have noticed. Then when they were announced into the wedding the bridal party all held up light sabers for them to walk under (the way people do with swords), and Star Wars music was playing. I totally rolled my eyes at that, but they loved it. That was the extent of the theme. I think that's about as far as you can take it before you enter total tackyland. 
  • Options
    I was going to get FI some very fancy cufflinks and a pocket square to complete his fancy-person accessories kit for future instances of wearing a suit (like an anniversary kit I guess)

But he is OBSESSED with Metallica, so I'm low-key working on getting him some Metallica star cufflinks. The groomsmen might want them too, as they're all huuuuuuuge fans.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I can't.

Why the hell is there a sheep and a lion on that cake?!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    pinkcow13 said:
    I can't.

Because the dingle that wrote it put something in there about the lion (chedward) falling in love with the lamb (bella/ana)

Some cheeseball wretchy shit if you ask me. That cake makes me sad because the lamb is actually super cute.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    beethery said:

pinkcow13 said:

I can't.

Because the dingle that wrote it put something in there about the lion (chedward) falling in love with the lamb (bella/ana)

Some cheeseball wretchy shit if you ask me. That cake makes me sad because the lamb is actually super cute.

Ah shit, are we going to have to deal with 50 shades theme bullshitery once that movie comes out?

Anniversary
  • Options
    In that awful cake's defense, maybe it's a birthday cake?
    Nope. It's a wedding cake, hence the lion and lamb. I think the line from the book is "...and then the lion fell in love with the lamb." Barf.
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    pinkcow13 said:
    I can't.

Ah shit, are we going to have to deal with 50 shades theme bullshitery once that movie comes out?

The amount of lols I'm getting from the fact that they made that dickless trashbag Chedward a KEN DOLL is absurd. How accurate!

LAME

I feel like once the movie is out and there's a visual to achieve, there will be TONS of copying.

Until then, all that lame ass bullshit is limited (from what I can tell) to bachelorette parties. Because it's ~*dirty*~
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options

Fi and I love SW. We are not having a themed wedding with one exception. I bought him a Death Star cookie jar for his birthday. We have been debating if we should use that as a wedding card box. That would be the only SW item in the wedding.

• Options
    beethery said:

chibiyui said:

beethery said:

pinkcow13 said:

I can't.

The amount of lols I'm getting from the fact that they made that dickless trashbag Chedward a KEN DOLL is absurd. How accurate!

LAME

I feel like once the movie is out and there's a visual to achieve, there will be TONS of copying.

Until then, all that lame ass bullshit is limited (from what I can tell) to bachelorette parties. Because it's ~*dirty*~

I really didn't need to see those cakes. Shame I'm at work, I need a margarita.

I think I'm going to get taco bell. Maybe get a freeze and some nachos.

Anniversary
  • Options
    50 Sades of Shit Cake is shit.

• Options
    arrippa said:

Fi and I love SW. We are not having a themed wedding with one exception. I bought him a Death Star cookie jar for his birthday. We have been debating if we should use that as a wedding card box. That would be the only SW item in the wedding.

Ya know, I think a lot of people use theme were they mean motif and vice versa.

Using a nerdy cookie jar as a card holder is a motif. Cosplay ing as characters from WoW is a theme. Having a Tardis cake is a motif. Having Tardises on everything, your officiant in a Tom Baker scarf, wearing chucks, etc, is a theme.

Anniversary
  • Options
    chibiyui said:

Ya know, I think a lot of people use theme were they mean motif and vice versa. Using a nerdy cookie jar as a card holder is a motif. Cosplay ing as characters from WoW is a theme. Having a Tardis cake is a motif. Having Tardises on everything, your officiant in a Tom Baker scarf, wearing chucks, etc, is a theme.
    Yeah there's 'small touches' and then there's "Wow, looks like some My Little Ponies exploded in here, my condolences".

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards