Oregon

I know nothing about planning a wedding...

Hi everyone! I'm Lindsay :)
I just recently got engaged! Yay!! This is my second wedding...but my first wedding was at the courthouse with a few friends. So this time, I'm having the wedding I deserve :):)
I'm moving to Roseburg next month where my FI lives. I don't know anyone down there and all my girl friends live in the Albany/Salem area...so I'll pretty much be doing most of the planning on my own.
So far I have had an extremely hard time finding sites for the ceremony and reception. I originally thought I wanted a vineyard wedding/reception but I'm shocked at how expensive they are!
I'm interested in any and all suggestions from venues to favors!! Our wedding is next August/September (haven't decided on a date yet) in the Roseburg area. We are paying for everything ourselves so I'd like to keep things simple.

I've heard so many great things about this site! I'm really hoping to make some "bride-to-be" friends to share ideas with!

Thanks for reading and happy planning :)

Re: I know nothing about planning a wedding...

• edited December 2011
    I would suggest going to the chamber of commerce and asking them. They should have lots of suggestions for event locations. 
  • KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay. first you are not having a wedding you are having a Vow renewal. You already had your wedding.

But where we're you looking at getting married?
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • lindsay726lindsay726 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_oregon_nothing-planning-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:119Discussion:0aa4c479-8bb2-471e-9c26-7d5c1aba90fdPost:0806d032-2cc7-4ec9-899c-25a4cdfb092f">Re: I know nothing about planning a wedding...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay. first you are not having a wedding you are having a Vow renewal. You already had your wedding. But where we're you looking at getting married?
    Posted by KendallR10[/QUOTE]

Umm...what?!
    First...I'm not having a vow renewal...I'm planning a wedding...my 2nd wedding. As in I've already been married once before. Re-read my post.

If you feel the need to be critical (even though it's completely uncalled for) please don't reply to my posts.

And as far as your question about where we are looking to get married (grammatical error and all...it's were not we're) as stated above in my post...I don't know where. That's why I'm asking for suggestions.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_oregon_nothing-planning-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:119Discussion:0aa4c479-8bb2-471e-9c26-7d5c1aba90fdPost:fe92a310-f5f3-44de-a9e4-e2c70b1ea3ac">Re: I know nothing about planning a wedding...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I know nothing about planning a wedding... : Umm...what?! First...I'm not having a vow renewal...I'm planning a wedding...my 2nd wedding. As in I've already been married once before. Re-read my post. If you feel the need to be critical (even though it's completely uncalled for) please don't reply to my posts. And as far as your question about where we are looking to get married (grammatical error and all...it's were not we're) as stated above in my post...I don't know where. That's why I'm asking for suggestions.
    Posted by lindsay726[/QUOTE]

<div>Sorry I read that wrong. <div>
    </div><div>I read that as you and FI had run off to the courthouse and got married. and now you were planning a "real" wedding. </div><div>
    </div><div>Sorry about my errors I'm sooooo tired. </div><div>
    </div><div>and my patience is about gone</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Do you even have a city in mind? </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div></div>
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_oregon_nothing-planning-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:119Discussion:0aa4c479-8bb2-471e-9c26-7d5c1aba90fdPost:06ddd0d3-1287-4d8d-9a3b-ab7bb5b1cb90">Re: I know nothing about planning a wedding...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I know nothing about planning a wedding... : In the OP, I think she says the city they are looking to get married in is Roseburg.
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]
    thanks I was so tired yesterday
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What's your budget and how many people are you expecting to invite?  I don't know the Roseburg area well at all, but here are some tips that transcend cities...

1 - To keep the budget down, keep the guest list down.
    2 - If you find that even with a smaller guest list you're still strapped, consider doing your ceremony and reception at a non meal time.  A 1:30 ceremony means you can just serve cake and punch or light appetizers for the reception, which is significantly cheaper than a full meal.
    3 - Brunch can be a less expensive option if you want to do a full meal.
    4 - Skip the things that aren't necessary to save money.  Pass on the favors, don't worry about chair covers or sashes, stick with white or ivory linens which are generally included with rentals or significantly cheaper.
    5 - Cake can be cheaper if you do a small tiered cake with several sheet cakes in the back.  Bonus - the sheet cakes can be pre-cut so your venue can start serving right after you cut your cake, instead of needing to still cut the whole thing and then serve.
  • jess9802jess9802 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I was going to suggest wineries until I saw that you'd already looked into them. Yes, they are expensive.

Roseburg is small enough that venues and caterers are going to be harder to come by. Don't count on your girlfriends to help with the planning. However, if most of your friends and family are in Albany and Salem, consider having the wedding there, or even in Eugene, which is a nice halfway spot with lots of caterers and venues.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards