Attire & Accessories Forum

What should the officiant wear?

Fi asked me last night that our officiant asked what she should wear. I thought about it, and I really don't care. I tried picturing her in cut-off tye-dyed shorts and I still don't care. But Fi seemed a bit peeved at my apathy, so I figure that I'd come to you ladies and see what the general consensus is.

Maybe business casual? Or cocktail?

Re: What should the officiant wear?

• Is your officiant a clergy member? JoP?
  • JoP I think? She's a vendor, I know that. Our ceremony is outdoors in a garden. Fi is wearing a suit, I'm wear a wedding dress (it's strapless with a tulle skirt).

I mean, I guess she should look "nice", but I'm not really sure how to explain that without micromanaging.
  • If she asked, then I would ask for something appropriate for the situation, and share what you & FI will be wearing. I'd imagine her looking appropriate in a suit, but I wouldn't tell her to necessarily wear that. All the weddings I've attended, the officiant has either worn a clergy robe or a suit. But I've never been to a wedding where a woman was the officiant and wasn't a member of the clergy.
  • How about a nice blouse and dark slacks? Most weddings I've been to the officiant wore either a suit, white shirt, tie and slacks, or all black, or a clergy person's attire if they were a member of the clergy. Maybe suggest business casual as a guideline since she is asking? Business casual to me means knee length skirt or slacks, with a nice top, and nice flats or heels.

• We are using a female officiant as well. She showed us several photos on her website of her officiating other weddings so we could let her know what look we wanted her to go with. Most of the time, she was wearing a black or champagne color, modest cocktail dress. Our wedding is pretty formal and our BMs are in floor length gowns, so I'll probably ask her to wear something floor length as well. 

Your officiant probably has lots of completely appropriate options and was just asking to see if you had any special requests (i.e., everyone's wearing seersucker, so please don't wear black!). 
  • MissChloe225MissChloe225 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2014
    Our officiant said she usually wears a grey or black dress  (knee length or a little longer, it looks like) or a robe if it's cooler.  She also has a colorful stole (she's a UU minister).
  • Thanks ladies!

I decided on this:
    Business casual, no bright colors (but pastels and patterns are ok!). Avoid greens.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards