Budget Weddings Forum

How to manage self-catered meal

My Fiance and I are planning to serve a self-catered pasta meal. We've decided on pasta because it is affordable, delicious, and it is easily adapted to fit dietary restrictions. My Fiance and I are both vegan, and pasta allows us to serve a vegan meal without it being "strange" for our guests. We are planning to serve a pasta with pesto, a pasta in red sauce (with a side of vegan meatballs), and a pasta with garlic butter sauce. We will also be serving bread, salad, and a vegetable side. My question is: how do I manage the preparation of the meal? Who should be in charge? I've read about cooking pasta the day prior, and reheating it in simmering water for serving. I want an efficient plan that can serve approximately 75 people. Any advice is appreciated.

Re: How to manage self-catered meal

• Either you need to plan to do it yourself (or if someone volunteers but you shouldn't ask) the morning of your wedding or do a search (gotta love google) to see if you can find any business that you could hire servers for just the day. I work for a company part time (I'm not advertising them, just stating what we do to show what to look for) where we get hired to help serve at functions like graduation parties, parties, holidays, etc. We show up, help heat up the food if needed, serve the food and clean up afterwards.
  • Definitely hire people. Don't ask family and friends to do this for you - they are your guests and the reception is supposed to be a thank you to them for attending your wedding. They shouldn't have to work. 

I see that you don't have any meat, but food safety is still a concern when self-catering. Make sure you have the right equipment and that you know how to manage it to ensure proper temps and safety.
    *********************************************************************************

• I don't know what kind of budget you're working with, but to successfully self-cater for 75 people you'll have to buy quite a bit of food, plus it takes a lot of equipment including cookware, sternos, trays, utensils, etc. If you don't already own that stuff, the costs will add up quickly. Not to mention it will add so much extra stress to your wedding day, for you and whomever you'd ask to help. So with all those considerations, it will probably be more efficient (and possibly less expensive) to get it catered by a restaurant. Take a look at Carrabba's, Maggiano's, local Italian restaurants, and catering companies.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    Self catering advice?  DON'T DO IT!!!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I would also not recommend self-catering for 75 people. When you buy all the ingredients and equipment I'm guessing it won't come to much less than having a restaurant do the pasta for you. Maybe talk to your local Italian place and see whether you can work something out. 
  • I think self-catering is not a good idea. I would look into a local deli. They can probably do some trays of pasta for your for a good price. 
  • liasimone said:
    My Fiance and I are planning to serve a self-catered pasta meal. We've decided on pasta because it is affordable, delicious, and it is easily adapted to fit dietary restrictions. My Fiance and I are both vegan, and pasta allows us to serve a vegan meal without it being "strange" for our guests. We are planning to serve a pasta with pesto, a pasta in red sauce (with a side of vegan meatballs), and a pasta with garlic butter sauce. We will also be serving bread, salad, and a vegetable side. My question is: how do I manage the preparation of the meal? Who should be in charge? I've read about cooking pasta the day prior, and reheating it in simmering water for serving. I want an efficient plan that can serve approximately 75 people. Any advice is appreciated.
    If you aren't willing to take full responsibility for this, you need to hire people to do it.
  • jnrsgirljnrsgirl member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    Olive Garden does cheap pasta trays that come with bread and salad. Also no mess for you to clean up in your kitchen after the wedding. So not worth trying to cook for 75 people the night before your wedding.

And just to satisfy my curiosity... Are you buying vegan pasta? Because your average pasta is made with eggs which takes it off the vegan menu.
  • jnrsgirl said:
    Olive Garden does cheap pasta trays that come with bread and salad. Also no mess for you to clean up in your kitchen after the wedding. So not worth trying to cook for 75 people the night before your wedding. And just to satisfy my curiosity... Are you buying vegan pasta? Because your average pasta is made with eggs which takes it off the vegan menu.
    Actually most store-bought pasta is vegan (excluding egg noodles, obviously).

• liasimone said:
    The only people responsible for being in charge are you and your FI.  So you, unless you hire someone.

• Although it's a bad idea to self cater if you're set on it make sure your venue allows it. There are a lot of liability issues with it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Joining in with all the others who suggested that self-catering is not the best idea. However, if you do decide to do it, please make sure the vegan meatballs are easy to exclude from the meal. Many are made with soy, which some people can't (or won't) eat.
  • we are sort of self catering. we have had plenty of people volunteer to help. it is NOT expensive to buy your own food and make it. iI did a lot of research and price comparison. you can send me a private message if you want. sams club has tons if deals on plates, silverware, cups, napkins, and the warmers. buy things when they are on sale and use a coupon. we are having pasta, pulled pork and chicken, a mashed potato bar,and a sald bar. iI may add some other varieties like saurkraut and kilbasa w/ dumpkings. but it can be done and for a much more affordable orice than olive garden. with all paper products, drinks, and food for about 120 people iI am figuring roughly $7.50 per person. much better than $12-20 per person for just food. some people dont think it works and others have noproblems with it. iI just have more laid back family and friends who jumped to help as soon as we said we were getting married!!
  • We've decided to hire catering. We're actually going with a food truck! 
  • liasimone said:
    We've decided to hire catering. We're actually going with a food truck! 
    People will love it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards