Honeymoon Discussions
Options

bora bora and moorea

hi my fiance and i are 95% positive on our trip to bora bora and moorea. were spending 5 nights in moorea in the intercontinental and 5 nights in OWB at the Hilton Nui. currently our package includes breakfast and were trying to decide whether to add the dinner package which would cost an extra $100 a person per day. any one have any insight??

Re: bora bora and moorea

• Options
    I would not add the dinner package. Both islands have restaurants that allow you to experience more than what the resort has to offer and allows you freedom to choose from a larger menu (dinner plans are set menus and have supplemental charges for any additions.) plus, if you have a few nights where you aren't hungry, then you're not losing money! Moorea, in particular, has some lower cost places that will be a little easier on the wallet. When making reservations outside of the resort, most restaurants will provide transportation as well, with just the idea that you will tip the driver.

• Options
    what is like a reasonable amount to assume to spend on dinner for 2?
  • Options
    I usually say around $75-$100pp. I am picky, so I can usually eat for less with just an entree and dessert. I also like simple things as well, which helps reduce costs. So, the meal plan cost isn't totally outlandish, but it just forces you to eat from the same place from the same menu every night. If you choose to go elsewhere, or eat less, you'll just be out that money. Plus, the plans do not include beverages.

• Options
    I agree with Jells.  We found it easy to go out to dinner in Moorea.  We looked on TripAdvisor for restaurant reviews, so we already had an idea where we wanted to go before we even got there.  I would definitely NOT recommend a dinner plan there.

We stayed at the Hilton in Bora Bora too (LOVED it!) and did do the dinner plan.  We did skip it one night and went to Bloody Mary's (we enjoyed that and would go back again!).  The other nights at the hotel were nice.  We enjoyed not having to take the boat shuttle into town for dinner.  BUT, we really didn't think much of telling our TA that we didn't want a dinner plan.....it was included in our package for BB.  I'll definitely rethink that when we go back in a few years.

Oh, and one tip I wish I'd known earlier in my trip.....you can ask for tap water!  I paid about $9 for bottled water a couple times.  eeeek! 
  • Options
    we officially booked our trip for moorea and bora bora. suggestions for places to dine out or how to get there are welcomed. also if you guys did any good excursions id love some input. thanks
  • Options
    On Moorea, I've done a ton of different excursions. I liked the jet ski tour, circle island tour (done by jeep or ATV), and renting a car/buggy. When exploring on your own, stop at the juice factory! I've also done a lagoonarium tour there. 

In Bora Bora, I've done a half day shark and ray feeding, jeep safari, and circle island tour (snorkeling/motu picnic.) The water circle island tour was great! 

When dining out, most restaurants offer transportation. You can arrange the reservations with the concierge at the hotel. 

• Options
    In Moorea, we did an ATV tour and a Lagoon tour.  Both were by the company Alberts and both were nice.  We also rented a car one day and drove around the island.  We stopped for lunch at Snack Mahana (ranked #2 on Trip Advisor, great food, loved the atmosphere).  We also stopped for pearls at Eva Perles (seems to get good reviews, we had a very pleasant, informative, no pressure/hassle experience here).  There's also a grocery store across the street from the pearl shop, so we stopped there to pick up a bunch of bottled water (much cheaper than the hotel!) and snacks.

Another good (and cheap!) lunch spot is Lilikoi Garden Cafe.  It was walking distance from the Hilton, so we went there most days for a panini/sandwich.  The owner is really nice (it's a lunch cart in her backyard!) and the food was so good that we even had dinner there one night on the weekend when she open at night.  Nothing fancy, just simple, good food.

As Jells said, your concierge will arrange dinner pickups.....every place that we went to picked us up, no charge.  I remember liking Les Tipaniers and hating Kaveka. 

In Bora Bora, we did no excursions!  We had every intention to, but  it was so hot that we just wanted to lounge around in the lagoon.  We brought with us an inflatable raft like this (http://www.swimways.com/spring-float-papasan-p-65.aspx) and it was heaven.  I can't recommend it enough.  You will be glad you did.

We did take the boat from the Hilton into town, but we just went for water and snacks.  The only other time we left the hotel was to go to Bloody Mary's, which we enjoyed.

The best thing you can do is check out TripAdvisor, read reviews and decide if the menus fit your tastes.  Good luck planning!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards