Pre-wedding Parties

Rehearsal and Dinner on different days?

Has anyone else had their rehearsal and their rehearsal dinner on different days?

I am getting married on a Sunday evening but my venue says I can only have my rehearsal on the Thursday before between 3:00-4:00pm. I know it is slightly inconvenient, but I only have 2 bridesmaids, no groomsmen. Is it ok to have the actual dinner the Saturday evening before the wedding instead?

Re: Rehearsal and Dinner on different days?

• When you have your rehearsal you must host something directly afterwards for those in attendance. Also separating the two events could be a major inconvenience for those in your wedding party. Honestly, since you have such a small wedding party a rehearsal really isn't necessary.  And if you just have to have one you could do a quick run through at your home prior to your dinner on Saturday.

• Sorry maybe I should specify. The rehearsal is really for myself and my fiance as I have only ever been to 1 wedding and he has never been to one so we have no clue what to do, how to do it or what actually happens, so it is a necessity.

The rehearsal is also where we go over final details with the wedding coordinator. 

Considering a couple of the people have to go right back to work afterwards it seems kind of rushed to do a mid afternoon rehearsal, go back to work and then to rush out for dinner. I was thinking a more relaxed Saturday dinner would be a better option. FYI there is only going to be 8 people at the dinner so its not a massive corral of people. 

• emz101 said:

Sorry maybe I should specify. The rehearsal is really for myself and my fiance as I have only ever been to 1 wedding and he has never been to one so we have no clue what to do, how to do it or what actually happens, so it is a necessity.

The rehearsal is also where we go over final details with the wedding coordinator. 

Considering a couple of the people have to go right back to work afterwards it seems kind of rushed to do a mid afternoon rehearsal, go back to work and then to rush out for dinner. I was thinking a more relaxed Saturday dinner would be a better option. FYI there is only going to be 8 people at the dinner so its not a massive corral of people. 

Then do as I suggested in my previous post and have a short run through at your home on Saturday prior to heading out to dinner. You and your FI can certainly meet with your wedding coordinator that Thursday to discuss final details but leave the rehearsal for Saturday. Or, since the rehearsal is mainly just for you and your FI then just you and him and your wedding coordinator do a quick rehearsal at the space on Thursday and then invite whomever out to a "yay we are getting married tomorrow" dinner on Saturday.

• I second the idea of just you guys doing your rehearsal. If you are stressed about it, you'll be more relaxed without the wedding party there anyway and it will give you more time to rehearse your guys' parts alone. Then just have your dinner on Saturday and call it something else.
  • If it's just for the two of you, I agree with everyone else - don't ask anyone else to attend. It'd be kind of a waste of time for them and a waste of money for you because you'd have to host them afterwards.
    *********************************************************************************

• I agree with PPs. If only you and your FI really need to rehearse the ceremony, then don't invite your wedding party members. Then you don't need to host them afterward. But if you do have them at the rehearsal, you cannot politely omit to host them after the rehearsal. The hospitality has to be provided immediately following the rehearsal, not on a later day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards