DIY Wedding Forum
Options

thumb print - ink question

We are going to do the ink thumb print thing. It will be in addition to the regular sign in. Most people do trees and the finger prints are leaves. Anywho, what ink do people suggest? I tried colorbox pigment and it just didnt look as good as i hoped. Its easy to get off your finger though. I tried memento and even though it looked good and dried fast the ink stained my finger for a day. Any other suggestions otherwise we'll use colorbox and hope for the best?  

Re: thumb print - ink question

• Options
    My only suggestion is don't do it. When I've seen it attempted, the vast majority of guests skipped it, including me. You'll find most people on here are also not in favor of it for myriad reasons.

• Options
    I thought it was an adorable idea at this wedding I went to, until I realized that many family members skipped it because they were busy trying to help out and many friends and co-workers were all over it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    It seems like a cute idea but I agree there are some concerns. I'm not sure I would do it with my pretty attending-your-wedding dress on. I also find the idea of leaving my fingerprint kind of creepy. Not that I'm running from the law or anything but... weird. Also, from the examples I just looked at, it doesn't really keep a good record of who actually signed in because it's just a thumb print... unless you or your fiancee are forensic analysts or something. 

IF you do it, provide wet naps or something that will get rid of the ink. 
  • Options

I highly appreciate people responding to my post. Too bad no one actually addressed what I was asking. I asked for suggestions for ink brands. Instead I received a bunch of opinions on weather I should do it or not. The first sentence was "We are going to do the thumbprint thing". I don't understand the confusion. 

For those concerns that have popped up. Yes, I was already planning on including wet wipes (this was a thoughtful tip, thanks). 
    Im doing the thumb prints on one side of an album and on the other side, guests can sign and write a short message. They can participate in one or the other, both, or non at all. 
    I dont care if a few people dont end up doing it. If no one end up doing it, oh nooo!!! My wedding is ruined. The cost of ink and baby wipes totally broke my wedding budget.

Anyone else have actual suggestions on ink brands? 

• Options
    leelabear said:

I highly appreciate people responding to my post. Too bad no one actually addressed what I was asking. I asked for suggestions for ink brands. Instead I received a bunch of opinions on weather I should do it or not. The first sentence was "We are going to do the thumbprint thing". I don't understand the confusion. 

For those concerns that have popped up. Yes, I was already planning on including wet wipes (this was a thoughtful tip, thanks). 
    Im doing the thumb prints on one side of an album and on the other side, guests can sign and write a short message. They can participate in one or the other, both, or non at all. 
    I dont care if a few people dont end up doing it. If no one end up doing it, oh nooo!!! My wedding is ruined. The cost of ink and baby wipes totally broke my wedding budget.

This really makes people want to help you. 

Dear lord. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I'm sick of these community pages being filled with responses by people who don't help. Most people just preach, talk trash, go off on a tangent that isn't about the original question. So, I would be nicer if people actually helped. 

@ShesSoCold, you still didnt help answer my question.

• Options
    leelabear said:
    I'm sick of these community pages being filled with responses by people who don't help. Most people just preach, talk trash, go off on a tangent that isn't about the original question. So, I would be nicer if people actually helped. 

@ShesSoCold, you still didnt help answer my question.

So, you're going to whine and moan about the responses here and the community, but then ask us for help? Makes sense. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I asked a question. 3 people didn't answer it. So I pointed out what my original question was and noted that I'm not interested in talk about weather I should do it or not. Yet it seems like my question still isn't being answered. 

• Options
    I asked for suggestions on ink brands. I thought it was pretty straight forward. I did not ask for advice on weather to do it or not. I also thought that was straight forward since I said "we are going to do the thumb print thing" 

@wandajune6, cute response. As unhelpful as it was at answering my question, it was still a better attempt than others. 

Anyone else have actual suggestions on ink brands? 
  • Options
    leelabear said:
    I asked a question. 3 people didn't answer it. So I pointed out what my original question was and noted that I'm not interested in talk about weather I should do it or not. Yet it seems like my question still isn't being answered. 

If you are set on doing something like this, check out this helpful link regarding stamping inks including the brands that make them: http://www.monkeyhousehobby.com/guides/inkguide/The ones that are easier to get off your hands (which is what your guests will want) will be the ones that tend to fade easier is my general sense (which is what you probably don't want). A water soluble ink is generally going to be easier to remove. 

I would recommend going to a craft store, purchasing several different inks, and trying them yourself by literally dipping your thumb in them, blotting it on a paper and then trying to remove it. That is going to be the best way to figure this out. 

It's still an idea folks are not going to like, including your guests. You seem to know that though so there we go. Go ahead and brand your guests thumbs like cattle. 
  • Options
    @badbnagdway, Thank you. I appreciate the link and helping to answer my question. 
  • Options
    thumbprint guestbooks are lame, overdone by brides and under-used by guests -- what was the question again???  Oh, that's right - the same one you asked a few months back when people told you the same thing - go buy ink pads and try it out yourself...if it won't break your wedding budget and ruin your wedding, oh nooooo!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    @photokitty,
    Yes, I did ask a few months back. As before I asked about ink brands. I also stated I'm sick of people not answering the question and just going off on a tangent. I thought I would give the question another go but only one person (badbnagdway) actually helped. It took a while but someone finally answered my question. 

Thanks for the suggestion of buying different ink pads and trying them out. If you go to the website badbnagdway suggested, you can see there are a lot of pads to try. I have already tried a few out and was hoping for something better than those. I would like to get some suggestions from others that people actually like, instead of buying 20 different types. Perhaps narrow it down to just a couple good ones to try.
    Buying 20 different pads at $3-20 a pop for a guest book does sound a bit ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as you stalking my discussions. 

• Options
    At least I can answer questions people ask on discussion boards. 

With how unhelpful these discussion boards are, I think I'm done with them. That should make the rest of you happy. 

But before I go I should probably leave something for a lot of you to talk about. I'm thinking about opening discussions on having a cash bar, asking for money instead of a registry, and how I'm already married but want a pretty princess day. 

Enjoy
  • Options
    leelabear said:

With how unhelpful these discussion boards are, I think I'm done with them. That should make the rest of you happy. 

But before I go I should probably leave something for a lot of you to talk about. I'm thinking about opening discussions on having a cash bar, asking for money instead of a registry, and how I'm already married but want a pretty princess day. 

Enjoy

SIB

Anniversary

• Options
    leelabear said:

Enjoy
    No one cares, bye.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards