October 2014 Weddings

Had my bridal shower this past weekend...

It was a little over two hours.  Is that too short for a shower?  My mom afterwards was like "I think this was a record time for a shower".  Well we didn't play any games, so it was pretty much just eating, giving away a few door prizes, and opening gifts.  Since my mom made that statement though, ever since that day I've been replaying the whole thing in my head wondering what I could have done different to make it longer.  It almost makes me want to apologize to everyone for coming out and it being "short".  Is that crazy of me?  Then, the more I thought about it...every shower that we've ever gone to, my mom always says about how long they are.  I think I'm just over reacting and need to stop thinking about it so much.  It's done and over with and now onto the wedding.  LOL  Am I right? 

Re: Had my bridal shower this past weekend...

• My shower lasted about that long. We only had about ten people so gift opening wasn't a major time suck. We didn't have games either. Once you take those out of the equation it doesn't take much time to eat and socialize. I know my friends and our mothers appreciated it being shorter. And yes, don't even worry about that. As long as your guests had a good time the length of the shower should not matter or have anything to do with it!!! The real question is, did you have a good time or what??? You were the guest of honor so that should matter most!
  • Mine was scheduled for 12-4 Most people were gone by 2:45-3. I had close to 40 people. Wish there were more games. I still had a good time though.

• Mine was from noon to 4. I think most of our guests had arrived by 12:30ish and had left by 3:30 with a few stragglers. We had about 25 people there. I don't think 2 hours sounds strange...especially since you didn't play any games to fill up the time.

• I don't think it sounds strange at all.  My shower was from 1 - 4 and we didn't play any games either.  We just had snack, cocktails and opened presents.  
  • Did you host your own shower?? It's supposed to be thrown for you, or it can be seen as gift grabby.  I would be complaining that it was all about you getting gifts, if you planned it and all you did was provide some food and opened gifts then everyone left.

The shower FMIL threw me didn't have any games, but everyone mingled, had apps then dinner, then we opened presents during dessert and coffee.  It started at 4pm and most people stayed mingling until 10pm.  We had about 50 people though, because it was a co-ed shower.

• rsbloom said:
    Did you host your own shower?? It's supposed to be thrown for you, or it can be seen as gift grabby.  I would be complaining that it was all about you getting gifts, if you planned it and all you did was provide some food and opened gifts then everyone left.

The shower FMIL threw me didn't have any games, but everyone mingled, had apps then dinner, then we opened presents during dessert and coffee.  It started at 4pm and most people stayed mingling until 10pm.  We had about 50 people though, because it was a co-ed shower.

SITB

I don't see any indication that OP threw her own shower. And what else would you have been looking for besides food and present opening?

My shower was thrown by my mother and sister. Everyone showed up, lunch was served, I opened presents, we had cake and everyone left. Sounds like OPs shower except mine had no prizes. Would you have complained about mine as well? What else, exactly, are you looking for in shower entertainment?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had my shower on Sunday ("hosted" by my mom, who told me I had to do 90% of the work, but that's a whole different story), and it was about two hours. We had 20 people including me, cake and punch, a couple games, and opening gifts.
  • As a guest, I think 2 hours is great. I hate those dumb party games, so I think I'd be really appreciative of your shower!
  • that seems a perfect length. Mine went on.. and only 17 people were there. it was at 6 and I think most people left by 9 ish, but I was at my grandmother's house til 11 30 didnt get home til midnight. 
    Anniversary
  • Kerigirl9 said:
    rsbloom said:
    Did you host your own shower?? It's supposed to be thrown for you, or it can be seen as gift grabby.  I would be complaining that it was all about you getting gifts, if you planned it and all you did was provide some food and opened gifts then everyone left.

SITB

I don't see any indication that OP threw her own shower. And what else would you have been looking for besides food and present opening?

My shower was thrown by my mother and sister. Everyone showed up, lunch was served, I opened presents, we had cake and everyone left. Sounds like OPs shower except mine had no prizes. Would you have complained about mine as well? What else, exactly, are you looking for in shower entertainment?
    OP said she wondered what SHE could have done differently to make it longer, which sounds like she was in charge of what was going on/planning it.  That's where that question came from.  

And I said IF she threw her own shower it could be seen as gift-grabby, especially if it was so short.  

In my circles, showers are an all-afternoon or all-evening event, so to me, a 2 hour shower would make me wonder what I came out there for.  One of my showers had several games, which everyone enjoyed, the one my FMIL threw me had no games, but was a wine and beer tasting with paired apps.  There was still something for the guests to do and it allowed them to mingle more.

OP asked if her guests might think it was too short, I'm saying I do think it was too short.  
  • Yeah, I've been to all-afternoon showers too and by the time they're over I want to hang myself. Especially when there are silly shower games.

OP, I think the length of your shower sounds perfect. People were hosted with food and good company. Done deal. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm sorry, I should have clarified.  No, I did not host my own shower.  My bridesmaids and aunts hosted it for me.  We did not play games...I'm not a games kind of girl and sometimes as others have said it just makes the shower feel like it takes forever.  It was just as Kerigirl9 said "hosted with food and good company".  I'm glad to hear feedback from all of you girls. :o)   Everyone on this board is so great with all of their feedback!!!!  Can I say I love all of you girls without ever having met any of you. :o)  LOL

• I'm personally not opposed to some shower games if they occur, but I grew up going to a few showers and my aunts all around me bitching that there would be stupid shower games, so I didn't want to "torture" anyone.lol.  Plus it wasn't up to me but my SIL knows me well and I don't think they are necessary.  I threw her shower and didn't have games either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards