Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

bracelets with meaning

I have two bracelets that I wear and never take off.  When I put them on in 2008 they were bright orange and the other bright red.  I started wearing them to support my nephew who was battling leukemia.  In 2010 he lost his battle and at that moment I told him I would never take the bracelets off.  I wear them on my left wrist and they are now very, very dull in color.  I am trying to decide if I should keep them on during the ceremony and photos or try to find another way to incorporate them into my wedding, like the bouquet or something.  I also do not want to break my word to my nephew.  Any suggestions?

Re: bracelets with meaning

• Options
    I thought about trying something to cover them but they are kind of big (they are the rubber "cause" bracelets.  And I think you are right, I should wear them.  They are a part of who I am. 
  • Options
    You can wear whatever you'd like. I think it would be appropriate if you continued to wear them on your wrist as you walked down the isle- no one needs an explanation as to why you are wearing them and if they do ask then you have a very kind reason behind it.

• Options
    What a sad story. I am very sorry for your loss, OP. I would absultely not take them off.
  • Options
    I'm very sorry about your nephew. I would keep them on. I think it's very sweet. 
  • Options
    I just wanted to say sorry for your loss.  I completely agree with sarahufl's suggestion!
  • Options
    I would definitely keep them on! I might try to find some white ribbon or something to wrap around them if I wanted to look more formal.
  • Options
    I would either keep them on or replace them with new bracelets.
  • Options
    scribe95 I understand that one day they will break, but it has been four years and they are still on.  By not taking the off I do not stretch them out and they are being saved from wearing thin.  I will not replace the bracelets.  I have decided to keep them on.  
  • Options
    I would not take them off.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I'd leave them on.  If you really like the colors, you could use them as your wedding colors.  Or if not, you could speak to your photographer about minimizing them if they don't work.
  • Options
    I think it's really sweet and that you should keep them on, absolutely.

Are you worried about others seeing/not seeing them? As long as you are wearing them for you, you could probably cover them with a larger cuff, or intertwine white ribbon along both of them (trying to find a picture of what i mean, but no luck.)
  • Options
    Long-term, since after many more years I assume they will start to degrade substantially, you could have pieces of the rubber set into metal...I'm picturing almost like the way you would do with a stone, or even in a locket of some kind. 
  • Options
    I would absolutely keep them on. Think of it this way: these bracelets are essentially representative of your nephew. Would you want him at the ceremony if he could be there? Of course! Would you want him in pictures? Absolutely! This is how you can have him there with you.

I have a large tattoo on my upper back between my shoulder blades for my grandma who passed away in 2007. I would never, for aesthetics or "formality," cover it up just because it's wedding. It's a part of who I am, it represents the most important person in the world to me, and I could never imagine looking back at a photo and thinking "Ehhh, my tattoo is such an eye-sore, I should've covered it." Heck no! Those bracelets are a part of you and a part of him, keep them on :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards