Knottie Tech Help
Options

Auto closing old threads

Why can't TK implement a process where any thread that doesn't have a comment for 6 months is auto-closed?  This is done on other well known message boards (ie TripAdvisor) and it seems to work well.  I guess it's kinda silly suggesting this when we still can't get user locations back under each name.  But a girl can dream, right?

Re: Auto closing old threads

• Options
    Obligatory.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Hi there,

Unfortunately the KG's aren't fond of an auto close system, but I will make an effort to ask again. And I'm also working on trying to get locations back as well.

Thanks!
    KP
  • Options
    If it helps with the KGs, the majority of the zombie threads bumped do nothing to stimulate conversation. Either the post is raised to cause drama or it provided outdated advice (OP needed ideas for a wedding in 2012, post bumped with advice in 2014.) Maybe an auto close function after a year is a good compromise?

• Options
    Can I ask why they aren't fond of an auto close system?  I really don't see any cons about it.  It makes sense to close out a zombie thread after 6+ months.  The thread will still be there for lurkers to read if they wish but there really isn't any point in being able to post to it anymore because like Jells stated it does nothing to stimulate conversation.  And more then likely the posts that are brought back to life are from years and years ago where the original posters are most likely gone.

• Options

In addition to a 1 year compromise, maybe when threads are auto-closed a message at the bottom can be displayed.  Something like, "Due to inactivity on this thread, it has been auto-closed.  Please start a new thread on this topic to get your questions answered."  This would be different than a Mod closing a thread, which would keep the "This discussion is closed." at the bottom.  The difference being if threads can be auto-closed, the only time a Mod would need to close a thread would be if it got heated and a new thread on the same topic shouldn't be started anyway.

• Options
    Hey Everyone,

Just got the okay to close threads that were created before 2014 so there really shouldn't be anymore issues with zombie threads before that date (if you notice an problems or see that they're still open please let me know). 

I just need to get one more approval from the KG's tomorrow about the locations and as long as I get that it should be implemented by middle of next week at the latest.

Thanks!
    KP
  • Options
    Hey Everyone,

Just got the okay to close threads that were created before 2014 so there really shouldn't be anymore issues with zombie threads before that date (if you notice an problems or see that they're still open please let me know). 

I just need to get one more approval from the KG's tomorrow about the locations and as long as I get that it should be implemented by middle of next week at the latest.

Thanks!
    KP
    Wow, I didn't expect to come home from work to both issues being addressed with one done and one nearly done.  I'm shocked and impressed.  Yay!
  • Options
    Hey @JoanE2012,

Just wanted to give you an update, got the final okay so the request has been sent to tech today to get the locations implemented! It shouldn't take more than a few days to get it all up again.

Thanks!
    KP
  • Options
    Hey @JoanE2012,

Just wanted to give you an update, got the final okay so the request has been sent to tech today to get the locations implemented! It shouldn't take more than a few days to get it all up again.

Thanks!
    KP
    Yay!  That's great news!  Thanks KP!
  • Options
    Hey @JoanE2012,

Thanks!
    KP
    Hey @KnotPorscha - Any update on this?
  • Options
    Hey @JoanE2012

I was finally able to get a meeting with tech yesterday, apparently due to some issues it's possible but going to take longer than I anticipated. 

I know things like this have been an ongoing issue but I am doing my best to try and push tech to get this out sooner than later. I'm sorry that there is this delay.

Will keep you posted when I get more information about when it'll get up.

Thanks!
    KP
  • Options
    Hey @JoanE2012

Just another update so you know I haven't forgotten about you! Tech still has this on their to-do list and I'm trying to push to get it implemented sooner than later. Sorry again for the delay.

Thanks!
    KP
  • Options
    Hey @JoanE2012

Just another update so you know I haven't forgotten about you! Tech still has this on their to-do list and I'm trying to push to get it implemented sooner than later. Sorry again for the delay.

Thanks!
    KP
    Thanks for the update @KnotPorscha!
  • Options
    @KnotPorscha - Congrats on your new position!  Does @KnotRiley know of the old issues?  Will the locations under username still be worked on and deployed?
  • Options
    Hey @JoanE2012, thank you! 

Yes, she is completely aware of the ongoing issues. But just to explain what's going on with the username locations a little further, I'm not sure who does/doesn't know about this, but we're using a third-party vendor for the back-end of these forums and they can tend to be difficult to hunt down about requests like this. There's also been a whole slew of crashes happening over on TB, causing the due date for the locations to continue to be pushed back. Luckily, we've brought on a new project manager to handle our relationship and tasks with this third-party, so we're hoping that once the crashes get fixed this will be next on their to-do list. 

KR will continue to keep you all updated on anymore progress and we're really trying to have them get to this as soon as the forums on TB is no longer crashing.

Thanks!
    KP
  • Options
    Hi @JoanE2012,

Just wanted to let you know that I did speak with our PM yesterday about trying to get this higher on the priority list. Unfortunately, crashes take top priority but because this has been on the list for so long I'm really trying to get it bumped up. The other big issue I'm fully aware of and trying to get resolved are the bugs with ignoring other members and I've spoken to our PM about that as well.

If you have anymore problems please let me know!

Thank you!
    KR
  • Options
    Thanks @KnotPorscha and @KnotRiley!  And welcome, KR!
  • Options
    Hey @JoanE2012,

Locations are here! I'll make a sticky on how to do them on Monday, in the meantime, go to the silhouette icon on the top right, it used to say "Preferences" when you selected it, now it says "Edit Profile." This will bring you to the screen that shows your email and what not, then just under Location enter your location!

Let me know if you experience any issues!

Thanks!
    KR 
  • Options
    Yay!  Awesome news!  Thanks @KnotRiley!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards