Wedding 911
Options

Help! Need Wedding insurance ( mother has cancer)

Hello, I am getting married next July, that is if I can find event insurance that will cover an illness. Most only say they will cover not prexisisting illnesses.My mom was diagnosed with cancer in January and it is too risky to go ahead without insurance. Thank you

Re: Help! Need Wedding insurance ( mother has cancer)

• Options
    edited September 2014

I don't understand, sorry to be dense.  If mom is not well enough or still with you to attend the wedding....something? It will be called off? Moved to different date?  Perhaps she would want you to be married and celebrate your wedding whether she could be there or not?  Can you clarify the problem?

eta: I am very sorry to hear about your mother.

• Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your mom. 

Before going for wedding insurance, have you talked to your vendors to explain the situation? They may be willing to put a clause into your contracts that allows you to move your date - maybe not a refund, but a chance to reschedule without penalities. 

I think most event insurance plans wont cover illness, unfortunately. 
  • Options
    I'm sorry about your mom.  With her preexisting condition I think it will be hard for you to get event insurance.    I would just suggest working with your vendors directly.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your mother.  

I think that for now you should keep all plans the same and keep working towards your July wedding.  Speak with your vendors to see if they will add a clause into your contract about potentially moving the wedding, if needed.

At some point, it might be good to have a conversation with your mom to see what she would want.  She may not want you to change any plans no matter what her condition is.  

I hope your mom responds positively to her treatments and is given a clean bill of health soon!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    If you're able to get the insurance and something happens to your mom, what would you do? Cancel?

I ask because my mom was diagnosed with cancer about a month before my destination wedding. We didn't know if she'd be able to travel or even if she'd still be alive when the date arrived. We cancelled immediately. We ate some deposits, but we didn't care. We were able to schedule a wedding near home in 13 days.

If it is this important to you that your mom be at your wedding, my advice to you is to talk to your venue and vendors and see if you can move your date up. See if they have a Friday or Sunday or hell, even a Wednesday available. Let them know what's going on so they will work with you. Call your guests and let them know what's going on. If you have time, order invitations quick. If not, just call everyone to let them know the time and place and get your headcount that way.  

Good luck - I'll be happy to help more if you want. You and your mom are in my thoughts. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I suggest working directly with your vendors.  With vendors you are typically dealing with one person and sometimes that person is the owner of the business where the policies can be easily changed or redefined, unlike with a insurance company where their policies are typically set in stone.  It also depends on how far out your wedding is as to how flexible they will be.

• Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Cancer stinks.

Try working with smaller, less popular vendors. They may be able to work with you if you explain your situation.

Think about what your mom would want for you. Is the most important thing to her being there on your special day, or that you have the day you always dreamed of? Is there a way you can arrange a smaller wedding sooner that she'd be able to attend?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards