October 2014 Weddings

Wedding Party Drama....

OK, Just leaving this here to vent but.... 

We just had a groomsman drop out. I know things come up, but I haven't felt my blood boil like this...ever. This is a good friend of my FI, however, FI has always described him as a very flakey and unreliable person who can never commit. I am starting to see why he says this. Ex-GM was the first to get his measurements for the tux, and would constantly post on my FB posts on how excited he was to come to the wedding. Only thing was, he had yet to book a hotel room, and had yet to book a flight. 

It only came a few days ago when I KNEW something was up, when we have yet to receive his RSVP, and I messaged him just asking what he would like to eat - that he wouldnt have to send the RSVP back if he were to just TELL me what he wanted to eat, as we are having plated dinner. No response. Thanks to Facebook's wonderful timestamps of when you can see when someone has read your message, it was obvious he was avoided the subject. We didnt hear back from him a few days after several calls from FI and I from FB. He finally gave FI a call around 2 in the morning, leaving a voicemail says, "Hey, bad news - give me a call." 

He dropped out, citing his AC broke, cost over 4K and was unable to come anymore. Like I said, I know things come up but this sounds HIGHLY like a BS excuse. Especially since he is not boasting on FB that he is on vacation with his family. He never got a hotel, he never got a flight. Obviously he NEVER intended on coming, and was just playing with us until telling us less than a moth before the wedding! I'm sorry but WHO DOES THAT. I am extremely thankful that we were able to quickly contact one of FI other friends, who graciously accepted to take Ex-GM's place in the wedding party. But it doesnt help how angry I feel, and that we now have a useless customized gift for Ex-GM, and have to get a whole new gift for our new GM. I hope none of you will have to go through this, because it has been a little piece of hell - and as if I wasnt already stressed enough! :(

Re: Wedding Party Drama....

• I feel your pain, chickie!  My BROTHER and his WIFE just dropped out of my wedding (T-minus 12 days to go!).  His wife accused me of making nasty comments about her at the baby shower I planned for her (things like "How can they pay for their cars?" and "doesn't this shower suck! Mine will be way better!")  Excuse me! Why would I 1) say those things and 2) insult myself for the baby shower I threw for YOU!  The wife also tried to create drama between me and a few members of my family, claiming I was trashing them.  Anyone who knows me knows I would never do that.  Yep.  Some family.  Weddings sometimes bring out the worst in people

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa
  • des9724 said:
    I feel your pain, chickie!  My BROTHER and his WIFE just dropped out of my wedding (T-minus 12 days to go!).  His wife accused me of making nasty comments about her at the baby shower I planned for her (things like "How can they pay for their cars?" and "doesn't this shower suck! Mine will be way better!")  Excuse me! Why would I 1) say those things and 2) insult myself for the baby shower I threw for YOU!  The wife also tried to create drama between me and a few members of my family, claiming I was trashing them.  Anyone who knows me knows I would never do that.  Yep.  Some family.  Weddings sometimes bring out the worst in people
    That's the most ridiculous nonsense I have ever heard in my life. I say good riddance. What a child.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sorry about this dude, but you are really not supposed to replace wedding party members. That's such an insult (it was done to me), and even numbers are not necessary for the bridal and groom's party.

too late now.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I really dont see it much of an insult at all. I've seen may occasions where someone in a bridal party had to be replaced for whatever reason. Ex-GM isnt showing any hard feelings against it, as he can't come. So I dont see why we cant replace him when FI wanted to asked another friend. 
  • Just maybe think about it from the new GM's perspective - "oh, I wasn't good enough or a close enough friend to be asked originally, but now that they've had someone drop out, I'm good enough NOW"?

That wouldn't make me too happy.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Just maybe think about it from the new GM's perspective - "oh, I wasn't good enough or a close enough friend to be asked originally, but now that they've had someone drop out, I'm good enough NOW"?

That wouldn't make me too happy.

Pretty much everything about this. Plus, you don't want the original person in that spot to feel so replaceable.

My fiance's BM had to drop out because he couldn't get leave from the Army. No one will stand in his stead because his place in fiance's life is irreplaceable. He's that important. Fiance didn't want his BM to feel interchangeable.
  • Our new GM was very happy to be asked - so I guess it depends on the person. I stand by that I dont think in our situation, that it was insulting. Sorry if you guys think so.
  • I was a replacement bridesmaid once. I didn't think too much about it. Friend said "hey, this person is incapacitated and can't be present at my wedding. Feel like wearing this dress and smiling in pictures?" so I did it. It can really go either way, with someone being offended or not caring.
  • I have also been asked to be a replacement bridesmaid once, and I was happy to do so because I knew the situation and wanted to support my friend on her important day. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards