October 2014 Weddings
Options

Name change and passport....

My groom is a teacher, meaning there aren't days off for a honeymoon until Thanksgiving break. We've started looking at destinations, but haven't booked anything yet....somewhere tropical would be amazing!  

I am changing my name, therefore I will need a new passport! I'm worried that there isn't enough time to get a passport between the wedding (end of October) and honeymoon (Thanksgiving). What are you guys doing? Anyone else in the same boat? Do you just wait to change your name until after the honeymoon? 

Our other idea is just to go somewhere local for a long weekend now, and wait for the big destination trip until summer. - this would totally eliminate the passport stress! 

Re: Name change and passport....

• Options
    I am getting married out of state and will not get my marriage license for 2-3 weeks AFTER the wedding.  I took a day off work 1 month after our wedding in order to get my name changed.

If I were in your shoes, I would wait until after the honeymoon to change your name and get the passport, it would be less stressful that way.  You could try to get an expedited passport (this is within 3 weeks) or go through a Passport Agency if you live close to one - you would just need to set up an appointment.

I would probably want to go over Thanksgiving break because it won't be as hot and I would hope that since it sounds like more of a romantic destination it might not be as busy. 

Pros of waiting: can save up more $$, from what it sounds you may be able to take a longer trip
    Cons of waiting:  weather might be hotter/more humid (if that's a concern), potentially busier

Anniversary
  • Options
    I would definitely wait to change your name until after the honeymoon! What if your new passport doesn't arrive in time? No need to put yourself on a tight schedule and make yourself more stressed.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I vote for waiting, too.  I watched a TV show about cruises and how all of these newlyweds get held up from boarding due to the name changes with some but not all documentation. 
  • Options
    Just wait to change your name. It's not worth the stress. Plus you'd need to change your name with Social Security before you can update your passport and the SSA can take like 6 weeks to get all your documents returned back to you...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards