Ohio-Cleveland
Options

Things to do between wedding and reception...

I need ideas of things the guest can do between the wedding and reception. Our wedding 230pm and should last about a half hour and then the pictures at the church. The reception hall we can not have until 6 so we can not really hold a cocktail hour there to entertain while pictures happen. Anyone have any suggestions? This is in the Strongsville area. 

Re: Things to do between wedding and reception...

• Options

I found this on Trip Advisor

• Southpark Mall
    • Firefly Mini Golf
    • Gardenview Horticultural Park
    • The Brew Kettle along with a few other bars/resturants (great for mid day munchies to hold guests over
    • Jilbert Winery
    • Your Wine Cellar
    • Mill Stream Reservation for a nice afternoon walk
  • Options
    uszakkuszakk member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2014
    I wouldn't stress too much about this....most weddings have a gap time between ceremony and reception. Your guests who live in the area may want to go home and relax. You could make suggestions for out of town guests who don't know the area very well and put it on your website/email them ahead of time. The metroparks in that area are nice if the weather is decent, or Mapleside Farm is near that area and would be really pretty on a fall day. Or suggest a few restaurants/coffee shops if people need a snack. Brew Kettle is a cool place to see beer-making and their food is good too!

Don't feel like you have to plan every minute of the day, most people can entertain themselves :)
  • Options
    While some weddings have a gap...please know they're considered quite rude to your guests. Gaps aren't necessary.
  • Options
    Well gaps are necessary when you are catholic and can't pick your times of your ceremony and you dont get to pick pick the time of the reception. I am aware it seems rude so thanks for the obvious which is why I am trying to find suggestions for the guest!
  • Options
    You could have an afternoon reception. 
  • Options
    Thanks, but a Friday afternoon reception isn't going to work either. I think I will just stick to what is already booked and planned and ask for suggestions...
  • Options
    Thanks @uszakk and @Erikan73 this is a good start!
  • Options
    I have a similar problem. Our wedding mass is starting at 2:00pm and the reception doesn't start until 5:00pm. We have a lot of our of town guest (mainly my family and friends) staying at the same hotel. I talked to the hotel about using one of their "conference" spaces for an hour or so to host a small pre-cocktail hour. My fiance's aunts have volunteered to make some light refreshments. It's not much but it will be something so people don't have to find a bar. I don't think they are going to charge us for the room because we have book 15 rooms for the wedding. You might want to check with your hotel to see if they can do something similar.

I also think people understand that there is going to be a little lag time between the ceremony and reception. It sounds like you are trying to do your best to accommidate you guests. 
  • Options
    I had a gap because I didn't know having a gap is considered rude. I've only been to weddings with gaps because we are Catholic. Given this my guests entertained themselves and spent time together because they don't see each other often. 
    Anniversary

imagebam.com
  • Options
    Are you booking a block of rooms at a hotel in the area? They often allow you complimentary use of their hospitality room when you book a block. We went with the Hampton Inn in Middleburg Heights and are using a hospitality room for that purpose. 
  • Options
    I don't have any better suggestions than the ones already offered :)
    I just wanted to chime in and say that every single wedding I've been to has had a gap an average of 3 hours.  I only found out it's rude when I came to this website.  
    Anyways, I think the hotel conference room is the best route! 
    Good luck, let us know what you come up with :)
  • Options
    There are a lot of things people consider rude on this website that I've never even heard of.

• Options

I'm having a gap in between my wedding! It's hard not to when I'm having my ceremony in one city and my reception in another city.

I've been to tons of weddings where there is a gap and we always just find a bar with friends or hunt around the area for things to do! It's a sweet gesture to suggest some ideas for your guests but I don't think it's necessary. They will figure it out! (That's what Yelp and the internet are for! ;) )

• Options
    every wedding i went to had a gap. i dont find find them rude unless you arent local. ex: 2 hr drive for a wedding etc,.
  • Options
    I think in this area, it's more of a common thing to have a gap then in other areas of the country, so we all expect it. For us women, it gives us a chance to go home & change to a party dress!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards