Oregon
Options

Plus-size dresses?

Hi! Anyone have any recommendations for plus-size gown designers? Any flattering fits other plus-size brides have found? I am not happy with my weight right now and about the last thing I want to do is go try on wedding dresses. Also, anyone have any good experiences with plus-size gown shopping in Oregon that they want to share? Recommendations for a place to buy a dress?

Re: Plus-size dresses?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    David's Bridal has a large selection of plus sized gowns.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Where in Oregon are you?

I have a large bust and am pretty fluffy myself...

I went with an a-line and much to my surprise I found a strapless I loved.  I thought for sure I wouldn't get a strapless, but I did.

Also... anything with rouching is flattering on ANYONE.  Do you know your dress size?

One last thing... If you're overly self conscious about your body, I would avoid David's Bridal at first.  I'm really modest and VERY self conscious and tried dresses there and found myself thrown in the middle of 30 thousand people in my underwear.  I hate it and left in tears.

Try going to a few bridal salons that are smaller and more intimate, and you'll have a better experience and will probably feel better about what you look like in a gown.

OOH!! and always remember that it doesn't matter who you are... ALL BRIDES ARE BEAUTIFUL!
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are in the Portland area I would go to Bridal Exclusives.  I got my dress there, and am also a plus sized bride.  Maggie Sottero makes beautiful corsette dresses that make plus sized girls look incredible.  I plan on losing some weight before the wedding and my Maggie dress will allow me to lose 4 strees sizes before being altered. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Super helpful! Thank you, ladies! I kind of had that feeling about David's Bridal so I think I will try Bridal Exclusives first. I plan on having a glass of wine first to help ease the frustration :).
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto the BE rec.  Loved them.  Plus, they tended to have more larger sizes than a lot of the other places and it felt much more private to me than some shops we went to.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_oregon_plus-size-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:119Discussion:253f0781-552c-42c4-ba26-5814c968e013Post:d4673398-ff82-4e4a-b00f-9d0d94281cc0">Re: Plus-size dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Super helpful! Thank you, ladies! I kind of had that feeling about David's Bridal so I think I will try Bridal Exclusives first. I plan on having a glass of wine first to help ease the frustration :).
    Posted by dnstephens[/QUOTE]

well.. since you said... I'm just gonna come right out..

I got *almost* drunk on mimosa's before trying on dresses... and it was FANTASTIC.

Just have a designated driver ;)
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am also a fan of Bridal Exclusives.  I'm a size 16 normally and ended up ordering a size 20 in my dress (which is depressing as hell).  Rosewood Bridal in Tigard also has some selections in plus sizes and though the shop is kinda cheesy, the Hostess House in Vancouver had a very large selection of plus sizes.
  • Options
    Poppy715Poppy715 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BE also lets you take champagne and wine to your appointment! Always makes things more enjoyable. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am a plus size girl too.  Bridal Exclusives was wonderful!  I was terrified of going dress shopping but had an amazing experience. I went in with a few dresses I wanted to try, by Alfred Angelo, but fell in love with a Maggie Sottero dress.  I also liked that the person helping me, I think her name was Amber, suggested a few styles that she thought would work well with my body shape.  One of those was the dress I ordered!  Have fun and I hope you have as much luck as I did!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Clearly, Amber at Bridal Exclusives rocks... lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a great experience with Bridget at Clackamas David's Bridal.  I wasn't in front of 30 people in my underwear, so I didn't have the same experience as the other gal.  But, I think the sales lady had A LOT to do with it.  There was another gal there who was her supervisor and she was a b@tch. 
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah, we had a pretty terrible experience at David's for my SIL.  Unfortunately we were in a hurry (wedding planned in 3 weeks) and that was really the only place we could go for an inexpensive gown fast.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Update: I ended up with a gorgeous Maggie Sotero at Bridal Exclusives in Salem. LOVE it! The A-lines I tried on were extremely flattering, but I ended up going with an empire-waisted dress that was more "me". I can't wait to see it again when it comes in!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards