Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Pay in full, in advance?

So I have a stylist who seems wonderful, but she wants wants the total paid in full 14days before the ceremony. Is this normal?i have always operated under the idea that you pay a portion to secure the service and then the balance upon "delivery".

Re: Pay in full, in advance?

• A lot of vendors (not just hairstylists) want full payment prior to the event.  This is not unusual. Typically you pay a deposit to hold the date and then depending on the vendor have to pay X amount Y days before the event and then the rest of the payment Z days before.

And with stylists I can see them wanting full payment before for anyone getting their hair done because I am sure that they have had last minute cancellations (either day before or day of) by BMs who decided to not get their hair/makeup done.  This sucks for the stylists because they have planned and booked appointments around the times scheduled and losing an appointment last minute means that they lose out on money so getting full payment prior locks in their payment and possibly helps prevent last minute cancellations.

• my only vendor I had to pay in full was the venue.   I went to a salon for hair though, so I paid as I would any other time I get my hair done.    all my other vendors I just had to pay the balance the day of the wedding. 
  • edited October 2014
    No, no and no.  I have heard WAY too many stories of hair stylists in particular being AWOL on the wedding day and brides having to run searching for an (untested) replacement.  A deposit, maybe, IF the hair dresser is coming to you.  Full payment no.  

Think of it this way, when you call to make an appointment for something at the salon on any other regular day, do they take a credit card to hold the booking?  No. 
  • No, no and no.  I have heard WAY too many stories of hair stylists in particular being AWOL on the wedding day and brides having to run searching for an (untested) replacement.  A deposit, maybe, IF the hair dresser is coming to you.  Full payment no.  

Think of it this way, when you call to make an appointment for something at the salon on any other regular day, do they take a credit card to hold the booking?  No. 
    But this is why you have a contract with your vendors.  So that if a vendor was AWOL on your wedding day you have a legal document to use to sue them and get your money back.  So paying in full prior to the wedding should not be an issue.  The issue lies in finding reliable vendors and making sure you have a clear and detailed contract (plus saving all coorespondance).

• edited October 2014
    I've never heard of anyone having contract with their hair stylist.  Venue, photographer, caterer etc yes. Hair, no.  

Suing to get your money back is one thing (though the expenses and stress of a law suit would far out-weigh the costs of a hair appointment)  I'm more concerned about the stress of having to run around last minute to find someone and having someone you have never worked with before (or done a trial with) do your hair for your wedding.  

People are going to stand you up sometimes, that is difficult to prevent.  I do think though that if you do stumble across someone who has it in them to be dishonest, they are more likely to follow through with the job if they are being paid when the job is done.

I'm not against a deposit, paying in full is weird IMO.   

I have a friend who paid in full for a "bridal package" which included her trial and day-of hair and makeup.  She went to the trial and was so upset with what the woman did (ran an hour late,didn't listen at all to what she wanted, argued with her and said "she knew best" and then burned her with a curling iron) my friend was so upset that she decided that she wanted to go elsewhere for another trial and day-of stuff and the first hairdresser told her where to go when she asked for a partial refund on the package.

• I only had to put a deposit of $50.00 down. I didn't have to pay for the rest until after the service was provided, but we went to the salon and they had set appointments aside so that each person in my party had their own stylist & I was the only who had make up done. If anyone from my party cancelled last minute, it would have been like a regular appointment cancelling versus if I would have had stylist come to us & then have fewer girls to do & taking a bigger hit in the pocket then.
  • I've also never heard of a stylist being paid in full before the event. My first wedding, we all had appointments at the salon, and we paid after we were done. In the numerous weddings I've been in, we all paid the stylist once she finished our hair/makeup. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards