Wedding Woes
Options

D, made me think of a lady question.

What's the deal with fibroids? It seems like every other woman I know in their 40's have them.

Have they always been a big deal and I just never paid attention. It's to the point that I'm getting ready to schedule a sonogram to see if I have them. I don't really have major symptoms, but my doctor said my uterus felt a little heavy on my last visit. Ok.

Whatever that means?

This is your Nola too much info post of the day.:)

Re: D, made me think of a lady question.

• Options
    Well, you can blame ultrasounds for "everyone" having them. The only reason I found out about my innocuous one was the battery of pregnancy ultrasounds I had.

I think the main thing they want to check is that they're behaving themselves and not doing stupid things.

I had a friend who ended up with an emergency hysterectomy because one grew insanely out of control, outpaced its blood supply and started necrotizing. Which meant massive bleeding.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

What's the deal with fibroids? It seems like every other woman I know in their 40's have them.

Have they always been a big deal and I just never paid attention. It's to the point that I'm getting ready to schedule a sonogram to see if I have them. I don't really have major symptoms, but my doctor said my uterus felt a little heavy on my last visit. Ok.

Whatever that means?

Maybe I'm just stupid on the topic of lady things, but what kind of test does your doctor do to determine a heavy uterus.
  • Options

Whatever that means?

Maybe I'm just stupid on the topic of lady things, but what kind of test does your doctor do to determine a heavy uterus.

That's what your gyno is doing when you feel like a meat puppet. Shape, size, firmness, etc.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Thanks, Dharma. I'm not bleeding like a mad woman or have supper long periods. We shall see.

• Options
    Yeah, fibroids are super common. I have two, and the only reason I know is because I do have some issues with my period as a result. When I was pregnant with DD one did grow and they were concerned that it might impact her growth and the placenta but they figured out halfway through that it wasn't a super huge concern.

Basically, if they are saying your uterus is heavy they are probably concerned that they are growing. The GYN I worked with like to get regular imaging done (ultrasounds once a year) to monitor growth because he felt like they can sometimes mask problems of gyn cancers (women with fibroids can have abnormal bleeding and bloating which is also a common symptom of uterine/ovarian cancer). Better safe than sorry sort of mentality.
  • Options
    Ah. I've never had that before lol
  • Options
    Mine were terratoma instead of 'normal' cysts, but, yup ultrasound. I got ultrasounds to make sure there wasn't an ovarian cancer reason for my migraines (because this doctor was REALLY awesome), which is when they found mine. So, yup, blame ultrasounds
  • Options
    i had one fibroid removed when i had my my ovarian cyst/tumor removed. They couldn't see it on the US, but found it while they were doing the laparoscopic surgery, so removed it at the time. (they also removed a second cyst - one from each ovary.) I was only 28/29, so it wasn't an age thing for me, but I'm thinking maybe some sort of genetic predisposition? (My maternal grandmother died of ovarian cancer, so anything funny in that area gets checked.)
  • Options
    My mom had lotso fibroids in her 30s and 40s - - which was 20-30 years ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards