Illinois-Chicago

Chicago Vendor recommendations

I was recently married at the Old Town School of Folk Music (they usually do not host weddings but volunteering there for years gave me some perks, apparently). I wanted to give a shout out to vendors we used which helped make the day so perfect!

Caterer: Truffleberry Market
These folks are based in Westmont but serve a large geographic area. We had a cocktail hour with appetizers before the ceremony and an appetizer reception after the ceremony. The food was incredible and SO creative. They aim for serving restaurant quality food and they delivered. Our guests keep commenting on how delicious everything was and that they couldn't even pick a favorite. The way they served it was equally special. With our music-themed wedding, they went all out -- serving on old LPS with custom record labels, on a giant wooden xylophone, on an old guitar (which they decoupaged with photos of us and of places we have lived or love and then covered with a custom piece of plexiglass). At the end, they quickly cleaned up and were gone with nary a trace. I cannot recommend them more highly! (I tried to add them to the vendor list but the website insists the city/state and zip are wrong and won't let me -- despite verifying it on the contract, their website, and with the US Postal Service -- unfortunately, the customer service folks have not gotten back to me for three weeks so I still can't get them up on theknot.

Wedding Planner: Amy Harris, Plan A: Creative Events 
Amy was terrific to work with!. I was not sure we needed a wedding planner but she really helped keep us on track, saved us money, located vendors, and made the actual wedding day go SO smoothly. She is also incredibly fun to be with and made the whole planning process work quite well.

Florist: Forget Me Knodt 
The flowers were totally amazing. We had a music themed wedding and they constructed an arch which intertwined flowers, vines and musical instruments. It was gorgeous and the guests made so many comments on how it was a perfect backdrop for our ceremony. They even came in under our budget!! They are based in the Uptown neighborhood.

Photographer: Gretchen Villaluna Baria
Gretchen took beautiful photographs. She was also very efficient at taking posed photographs with family and those in the wedding. She is incredibly easy to work with and had some great suggestions for photos. Her candid shots were equally great!

Photobooth: Smilebooth
Our guests had so much fun with our photobooth. It is not technically a booth. You provide a space and a backdrop (or rent a backdrop). They have an attendant, a a camera and you provide the props (we used musical instruments). The photos are immediately printed (four shots/photo with a custom logo in the center for the event) and were made available on a website two days after the event. We love looking at these photos of our guests just as much as the photos taken by our photographer.

Reception and Ceremony Musicians:  Jonas Friddle and the Majority
We had a quartet who play "orchestral folk" -- meaning they have a banjo and other stringed instruments. The music was beautiful in the background and was perfect as entrance and exit music for our ceremony. I know it has been done to death, but I have loved Pachel's Canon in D for years and they played a version of the piece that was quite enchanting as we walked the aisle. We contracted with them through the Old Town School of Music's musician referral service (which made the whole process simple and relatively painless). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards