Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Vendor reviews, Carrollton 09/20/14

minjaresminjares member
First Comment First Anniversary
edited September 2014 in Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

We married on 09/20/14 in the Carrollton area and had an amazing time! I’ve reviewed the vendors we used. Keep in mind that these reviews are from my (the bride) perspective. ***Also, prices mentioned are what I paid at the time of hire and may have changed so please contact the vendor for current pricing.***

·         Ceremony Venue-St. Catherine of Siena, A+ http://www.stcatherine.org/

We regularly attend this church and had an easy experience preparing for the wedding. The church required us to attend a Pre-Cana class and have pre-marital counseling with a sponsor couple. Our sponsor was the Deacon and his wife and it took about 7 months to go through the process. The church wedding coordinator, Micheal Cervantes, is very easy-going and helped us picked the songs for the ceremony and also played the piano for us ($100)! The church secretary, Sandy Leners, is also very nice and helps make sure you have all the paperwork to get married. I think the church rental was around $350. 

·         Reception Venue-Plaza Arts Center Carrollton, A+ http://www.plazaartscenter.com/

We couldn’t have asked for a better space. It was different and accommodated all our guests. For $2700, you get the venue which holds up to 200, 1 bartender, 1 security officer, tables and tablecloths and chairs. It is located in downtown Carrollton near Babe’s. The venue also has a coordinator that will help you set up the space on the day of. You can bring in your own food and alcohol and even hire a decorator if you’d like. At the end of the night make sure you have friends and family help with putting up the tables and chairs and taking out the trash (our families were not too thrilled about this duty). The contract only provides sweeping/mopping. Everything else has to be taken care of after the party.

·         Photography-MNMFoto http://www.mnmfoto.com/

I found Murtaza through a Facebook ad that popped up on my Newsfeed. When we were looking for a photographer he had just moved here from Houston and was offering a crazy discount. For $1100 (his regular fee is around 3K), he shot engagement pics with a 16x20 canvas included and 8 hours of the wedding day coverage. Here our engagement pics http://www.mnmfoto.com/dallas-engagement-downtown-photo-session/. We have horrible profiles and were disappointed that all the pictures were with our faces turned! Hopefully our wedding pictures will be better. I will update when we get those back. He replies quickly to text and emails, has great energy and is very personable. He also brings an assistant on your wedding day to take additional photos and coordinate the group shots. 

·         Video-Durham Video Photography, A http://durhamvp.com/

Video was the last thing we decided on. I must’ve provided my info at a bridal show and received an email with specials. Scott was very negotiable with the price and for $900 we were about to get video for the entire day plus a highlight video. Our wedding was less than 2 wks ago and he has already shared a video link of the major events for us to see. His price includes DVD and bluray disks. The videographer was very unobtrusive during the whole day and I love being able to watch everything over again.

·         DJ-SK Entertainment, B+ http://themckinneydj.com/

We hired Steve K after meeting him at a free Plano bridal show. While we were at his booth I found myself dancing and knew we had to hire him. He was also offering a great discount at $700 for 6 hrs, uplighting and a monogram display. He met with us a week before the wedding to discuss the placement of the lighting and to see the venue. He knows his stuff and was very willing to have our input. Something weird is that he requires his payment PLUS tip PRIOR to his services. The contract states that there is an automatic 20% tip added to the remaining balance. So we paid $200 deposit and had a $500 balance which means an additional $100 tip. So he cost $800 in the end. I felt like he went outside to smoke every 30 min and did notice some down times without any music playing. My DOC said he asked for his money right when he arrived at the venue and complained that we didn't have his table ready (we just didn't have a table cover on it). When the party did get started, he did a great job with the songs and kept the dance floor hopping. He provides a great planner for all the reception events and you can add your requests.

·         Catering-Thornhill Catering, A+ http://www.thornhillcatering.com/

I found Thornhill after hours on the internet. We went for a tasting at their location near Baylor hospital in downtown. For about $10/person we were able to serve the guests a 6oz. sirloin or chicken piccata with green beans almondine, fettuccine Alfredo, salad, rolls and tea. About a week before the wedding our guest list grew to 200 (an additional 50 RSVPs) and they were very nice and brought enough for 250! Everyone loved the beef, and we had plenty of leftovers. Alberto was easy to work with and one of his servers even jumped behind the bar to help serve drinks!

·         Cake/Cupcakes-RedRaspberry, A+ http://www.redraspberrycakes.com/

We also found RedRaspberry at the free Plano bridal show. My husband and I love many of their flavors so in the end we decided on cupcakes and a small 6" cutting cake. Plain cupcakes were $2.50 and cupcakes with filling were $3.50 and the cake was about $65. The company is run by 2 sisters and since they work out of their home they are able to cut costs for their service.  Everyone loved the beautifully decorated cupcakes. Brides, if you decide to have cupcakes make sure to put a sign for the guests to not eat them until your cake is cut! By the time we cut the cake, there were no cupcakes left and our table looked empty! 

·         Ice cream surprise-Gypsy Scoops, A++ http://www.gypsyscoops.com/

We surprised our guests with ice cream to go with their cupcakes! It was a hit and didn’t damage our budgets. Julie is so sweet and process was very easy. We paid for guests to enjoy 2 scoops in a cup or cone for $3.50. We paid for 100 guests and were invoiced for any additional servings. The ice cream was delicious and had many flavors!

·         DOC-Amy Lacey, B http://amylaceyweddings.weebly.com/

I found Amy through another knottie and met with her months before the wedding to discuss what I wanted. Her enthusiasm will definitely reel you in! I am a major planner and was excited about someone taking over for the big day so I wouldn’t stress out. Hiring Amy had some pros and cons. I liked that she checked up on me every couple of weeks to see where I was with the planning. I liked that she contacted the vendors the week of the wedding to make sure all of them were showing up and to clear up any questions. I liked that she met with me and my husband and talked about every detail and scenario that could happen on the wedding day.

My husband and I didn’t like that she didn’t visit the venue before the wedding to help us figure where everything should go (her car had broken down, but when it was fixed she didn’t make time to go to the venue). On the day of the wedding, I am so glad I had a very trusted and organized friend go to the venue to help Amy! Amy was an hour late (she was getting some additional table cloths) and by the time she arrived my friend already had everyone working. Those who came to help setup agreed and told me that my friend did a lot more work than Amy.

She said 2 things that kind of got under my skin: 1. ‘I couldn’t remember if it was your wedding or another wedding that I was going to do…’. It wasn't very comforting that she was confusing our day with someone else’s. 2. ‘That’s not the way it’s supposed to be done!’. I felt at times she didn’t go with the flow well and showed her frustration to the guests. While she was cutting the stems for the boutonnieres she cut herself and was super freaking out. I needed a calm presence and her energy did not always provide that on the day of.

Also, for our sparkler exit I had bought many lighters like she suggested and they were nowhere to be found once we needed them. I felt that she should have checked on where they were at some point in the day to make sure we had them. My friend that helped with the setup might have moved them, but Amy should have followed up. I liked working with Amy, but she wasn't as thorough as I hoped she'd be.

Alcohol from Total Wine, A+

Flowers-DIY from Kroger and Costco.com, A+

======================================================= 

In the end, we still had a great time, minus a few bumps. All the things I mentioned above no one probably noticed and guests still said they had fun. Keep an open, relaxed mind on your wedding day and know that everything might not go as planned.

Re: Vendor reviews, Carrollton 09/20/14

• almorine2014almorine2014 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2014
    A DJ that requires a tip before his services are complete is outrageous. Our DJ actually told us that if we feel he deserved a tip at the end of the reception that is fine but did not want us to feel obligated to give him a tip. And did he really only meet with you once? That is a little fishy. Our DJ met with us several times to make sure our planning was on track.
  • We only met the one time to discuss placement of the uplighting and so he could see the venue space. He communicated well via email and he sent a very detailed planner for us to fill in that covered everything during the reception. He didn't do our ceremony so I felt that all our emails and the one meeting was enough.
  • OK. I felt better meeting with my DJ a couple of times to discuss everything face to face. I like the personable aspect.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards