Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Hair and Makeup for Engagement photos?

Hi! My first time posting here! My fiance proposed in July (at the top of a mountain in Colorado!) and we are getting married in June 2015. I just booked our photographer and we are having engagement photos done later this month. Just wondering what others' experience/opinion is on whether to have your hair and makeup done for engagement photos. I've honestly never had my hair and makeup done for anything so I'm nervous that might like overdone. At the same time - I'm not so great at doing my hair or makeup myself. Thoughts? Thanks for any advice!

Re: Hair and Makeup for Engagement photos?

• Options
    I don't wear makeup on a regular basis, so I just did it myself bc I wanted to look like me. I had my hair trimmed and blown out, I had really long hair and the time and I wanted it to look like me, but on a good hair day - no frizz and straight.

For me it was most important to look like myself and not over done. GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options

I didn't get mine done, but we only even did the engagment shoot sinc it was included in our packag.  We actually did them only about a week before the wedding and while I am happy with how the pics came out, I haven't had any prints made or done anything with them.

• Options
    Thanks for the input, ladies! I talked to my mom about it today as well, and I'm pretty sure I'll skip the hair/makeup for engagement photos. I'm really into photography, scrapbooking, etc. so the pictures are really important to me, BUT I mainly want to look like myself. Thank you again!
  • Options
    I got my hair done for our photos and that is mainly because I normally keep it tied back in a ponytail for work (hospital and working in a GI area with poop all day) I wanted something more and I'm not good at anything and if I blow dry it, it because a big friz ball. I never wear make up except for 2 high school proms so I met with a friend who does Mary Kay and she helped me with some make up but still natural. For me it was about wanting to know how id look on my wedding with hair and makeup done early on rather than waiting til last minute.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I did my own hair and makeup, especially since I normally don't wear a lot of makeup. I had my hair down with soft curls and I played up my eyes with black eyeliner and I wore some light colored Chanel lip gloss. The most important thing (besides having beautiful photos) is recognizing yourself when you look back at those photos.
  • Options
    I have to get my hair recolored and trimmed anyway, so I just put it off for two weeks and will be doing it the morning of my engagement shoot so it has that glossy and freshly blown look. (Keep in mind I have no hair skills whatsoever!) Something to consider if you have a hair appointment coming up, but don't want to overdo it with hiring an actual stylist.
  • Options
    I think it's really up to you and what you feel comfortable with. If you don't wear makeup or do it yourself and feel good and comfortable about how you look in photos, then I would say having your makeup isn't necessary. If you're concerned about how you might look without it, then get it done, but tell them not to be too heavy-handed! I for one love doing my own makeup, so I did my makeup, but had my hair done. I just got a blow out at a blow dry bar and was pleased :)
  • Options
    Do what makes you feel comfortable! I had a friend do my makeup and I got a blowout done at a nearby salon.  Gave my hair a little volume and I didn't look overdone at all.  I had her put in a few curls which fell nicely around my face for the engagement session.  My hair is pin straight and looks pretty flat, so getting a blowout was my best bet to look natural without going over the top.  
  • Options
    I had my makeup done and I'm really glad I did. I told the woman what I was wearing and that it was for photos. When I first looked in the mirror I was HORRIFIED... I didn't even think I looked like myself. I normally don't wear a ton of makeup, and it looked SO horribly overdone to me. I called my BFF near tears, she said to not worry about it, it won't look as dramatic in photos, if I hate it I can re-take them (it was only $95 for our engagement shoot).

Fast forward to getting my photos back, my makeup looks AMAZING. My face looks flawless and my eye makeup looks like just enough. I'm so glad I did it. And that I didn't get frustrated and just wash it all off.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Thank you for the tips, everyone! I ended up doing my own hair and makeup, and basically just did what I do on a normal day. I am pretty happy with how they turned out! I think the best decision I made was choosing a photographer that we really love and are comfortable with - she is so fun and made us feel relaxed. 
  • Options
    A good way to make sure you look like yourself is to go to your normal hairdresser. They know what you like best and you are already used to them :-) And they might be cheaper since it is just styling, not someone that specializes in weddings (can you say price markup?). Last time I was in to see my hairdresser we booked for our engagement shoot date and he recommended one of the other ladies there who does makeup that he thought I would like based on what he knows about my style. 

Just a suggestion :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I scheduled the trial wedding makeup & hair on the morning of our engagement photo session which worked out perfectly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards