Just Engaged and Proposals

Does anyone have a moissanite stone with a diamond setting?

leighstar10leighstar10 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
edited October 2014 in Just Engaged and Proposals
My boyfriend and I are in our early twenties and want to get engaged soon. We went to look at rings and the jeweler noticed how young we were, she suggested a moissanite stone. The setting I fell in love with has over 1 carat of diamonds in it already and over $5,000 so to spend another $4,000 would be a large expense for us. We were thinking of getting the moissanite stone now then upgrading to a diamond for a five year anniversary. Does anyone have a moissanite stone with a diamond setting? Experiences? Thoughts? Opinions? 

Re: Does anyone have a moissanite stone with a diamond setting?

• I'm going to say buy what you can afford and what you like.  If a moissanite is what you want, then go for it :)
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This might just be me, but I kind of feel like buying a ring with the intention of changing it is...I dunno...rude? I put a lot of value in physical objects and my e-ring will always be special and amazing because it's my e-ring. I wouldn't want to change a thing even if it were plastic!
  • I would use the original stone to create something unique such as pendant for a necklace, so I would still have it.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    My boyfriend and I are in our early twenties and want to get engaged soon. We went to look at rings and the jeweler noticed how young we were, she suggested a moissanite stone. The setting I fell in love with has over 1 carat of diamonds in it already and over $5,000 so to spend another $4,000 would be a large expense for us. We were thinking of getting the moissanite stone now then upgrading to a diamond for a five year anniversary. Does anyone have a moissanite stone with a diamond setting? Experiences? Thoughts? Opinions? 
    Is this setting really in your budget now?  You can buy a nice quality smaller diamond and have it set in a simple Tiffany style mount.  For your 25th anniversary, you can have it reset into the expensive mount.  After 25 years, your ring will be needing some major repair work, anyway.
    A nice quality smaller diamond will hold its value, but nobody knows about Moissanite value in the future.  The patent held on moissanite jewelry expires next year, and prices may not stay stable.  I have the small diamond that my mother received in 1943 from her fiance.  I had it made into a necklace, and it is worth  many times the original cost.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Moissanite, lab diamonds, and white sapphire are all great options if you don't want a diamond either right now or ever.

I always tell people to check out this funny (but with NSFW language) CollegeHumor video on why you really don't "need" a diamond... http://youtu.be/N5kWu1ifBGU I think the most pertinent part starts around 2:00, but basically (and this info is widely available, it's not a secret and it's definitely not a myth), the price of diamonds is kept artificially high and their resale value is terrible unless they're antiques. If you can't or don't want to spend the money on one there is zero reason to do it.

If you like and can afford a diamond, far be it from me to tell you it's not what you should spend your money on. But if it's out of the budget you should NOT feel bad for getting a different stone! Get whatever you think looks the best.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • amelisha said:
    Moissanite, lab diamonds, and white sapphire are all great options if you don't want a diamond either right now or ever.

I always tell people to check out this funny (but with NSFW language) CollegeHumor video on why you really don't "need" a diamond...
     I think the most pertinent part starts around 2:00, but basically (and this info is widely available, it's not a secret and it's definitely not a myth), the price of diamonds is kept artificially high and their resale value is terrible unless they're antiques. If you can't or don't want to spend the money on one there is zero reason to do it.

If you like and can afford a diamond, far be it from me to tell you it's not what you should spend your money on. But if it's out of the budget you should NOT feel bad for getting a different stone! Get whatever you think looks the best.
    This, exactly. De Beers owns almost all of the diamond mines on Earth, so they can control supply and raise the price any time they feel like it. Aside from a wildly successful marketing campaign, diamonds aren't actually all that rare or valuable. See also: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/05/fashion/weddings/how-americans-learned-to-love-diamonds.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Get whatever ring you want, whether it's a diamond or not. My E-ring isn't a diamond, and I love it to death. 
  • fwtx5815fwtx5815 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2014
    esstee33 said:

amelisha said:

Moissanite, lab diamonds, and white sapphire are all great options if you don't want a diamond either right now or ever.

I always tell people to check out this funny (but with NSFW language) CollegeHumor video on why you really don't "need" a diamond...
     I think the most pertinent part starts around 2:00, but basically (and this info is widely available, it's not a secret and it's definitely not a myth), the price of diamonds is kept artificially high and their resale value is terrible unless they're antiques. If you can't or don't want to spend the money on one there is zero reason to do it.

This, exactly. De Beers owns almost all of the diamond mines on Earth, so they can control supply and raise the price any time they feel like it. Aside from a wildly successful marketing campaign, diamonds aren't actually all that rare or valuable. See also: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/05/fashion/weddings/how-americans-learned-to-love-diamonds.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Get whatever ring you want, whether it's a diamond or not. My E-ring isn't a diamond, and I love it to death. 

----------------------
    I can't answer the questions about moissanite, as I have diamonds in my e-ring. But at one point, my fiancé and I went to Robbins Bros. because he wanted me to try on different settings to get a feel for what we liked. We looked at some diamonds with a sales rep and he went into his whole pitch about what to look for in a diamond, yada yada. At one point he began talking about the rarity of diamonds and how expensive & time consuming it is to even begin to mine for diamonds (he said something like 3 years and ~*MILLIONS*~ of $$). It was so tempting to explain that no, they aren't that rare. The supply is controlled by so few and on top of that, they're marked way up by retailers. Margins are ridiculous. But of course I smiled and nodded.

FI didn't buy my ring from Robbins Brothers because his cousin is a jeweler and so he went through him. I was there when my ring got appraised for insurance purposes; it was appraised for double what FI paid since his cousin didn't mark the price up. Diamonds are my fav, but I couldn't imagine paying retail for them.
    Get what you like that is within your budget.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• klk111415klk111415 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Answer
    edited November 2014
    leighstar10 I have a 1 carat round brilliant solitaire moissanite ring.  You can't even tell it's not a diamond and everyone comments how beautiful and sparkly it is.  It's almost as hard as a diamond and will last multiple generations.  

I looked into alternatives to a diamond because I didn't want my FI to buy a diamond and spend a ton of money when we could be putting that money towards the wedding or a down payment on a house.  I found moissanite and it's so close to a diamond, the human eye can't even tell the difference. 

You don't even need to think of replacing the moissanite with a diamond in the future.  The only difference you will notice is that there is less sparkle in a diamond and the clarity of a diamond might be less than perfect.  Moissanite is created in a lab and the clarity is perfect! 

My fiance got my ring from http://www.moissaniteco.com/

Lots of options and they are all beautiful! If you have any other questions about moissanite, let me know!
  • http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/moissanite-moissanite-show-me-your-moissanite/

That board has soooo many examples of moissanite rings.  As you will see- they all look like diamond rings and all of them are stunning! 

• I don't think changing your ring is "rude". I'd you fall in love with a setting in your budget and want to upgrade the stone on an anniversary then do it! I love the idea of making the stone into a pendent or another piece. Everyone has different priorities when it comes to where they spend their money. Some people want a nice diamond ring that can be passed down, others want a huge wedding and a 5k dress, others want a big honeymoon. I say if you both want that setting and want to upgrade down the road, go for it. Always remember this time is about you two and your marriage. Do it your own way :)
  • Moissanite and lab created diamonds are gorgeous and cruelty free, which is a huge draw for me.  I have a lab created diamond, but I could have just as easily and happily gone with moissanite.  It's a beautiful stone, and in reality, I would see no reason to change it later.
  • Moissanite and lab created diamonds are gorgeous and cruelty free, which is a huge draw for me.  I have a lab created diamond, but I could have just as easily and happily gone with moissanite.  It's a beautiful stone, and in reality, I would see no reason to change it later.
    That was one of my reasons (besides the cost) for going with moissanite.  I didn't want to support blood diamonds.  That's me, though.  I have a ton of friends who weren't concerned about that at all and I don't judge them for their decision.  I also liked that it's created using science.  

BOOOOOX
    I have one too, and I love it.
  • I actually just got a ring with a diamond setting and halo and a moissanite center and I love it. I don't feel the need or desire to eventually "upgrade" I've never been a jewelry person and honestly don't know how many people or who can tell the difference just by looking, or if it even matters! Its your ring. Forget them :)image
  • So I'm no longer engaged but when my ex asked me it was with a diamond surroundings and a 1.5 carat moissonite. I absolutely loved the stone. I got to see it before it was placed in the ring. Absolutely gorgeous. It's true what they say about seeing fire in a moissonite stone. 

The other reason I wanted a moissonite is because it was way cheaper (1.5 carat diamond - oh dear god that would have been expensive). The stone was $400. I have always been of the mindset that I would not want my significant other to spend way too much on an engagement ring. I'd rather that money go towards a house BUT that is my opinion. 

Go for what you can afford and want. If you want a diamond, chose a smaller setting and stone. It will save a lot. Also, from what I've researched, you can get a cheaper diamond depending on many different things. It doesn't have to be as clear, cut a certain way, etc. It's all up to what you and your SO can afford AND want to invest. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If you get a moissanite make sure you get the "forever brilliant" variety.  These are more clear and keep their clear color long term.  Those that are not FB can have a yellow or other colored tinge or develop one over time.

Also, you may want to look into Lannyte.  It's even cheaper (so you could save more for your upgrade now) and it is often thought to look more like a diamond.  The main difference is that it won't fool a diamond testing machine, whereas a moissanite can.  Plus, Lannyte comes with a lifetime guarantee.  No matter what happens you just pay the shipping cost and they replace your stone if anything happens (though it's not likely as they are very sturdy).  It's what I would go with if I couldn't afford a diamond, hands down. 
  • 5k for a setting is outrageous. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to other forums, but there is a diamond forum (pricescope) and they have a forum (rocky talky) that if you post a photo of the setting, they should be able to find you a dupe for much cheaper, it will just not be designer. Even if you decide to go with a mossy center, you will still save thousands on the setting. If this gets censored because it is against the rules (sorry!), please PM me. Please do not spend 5k on a setting so you cannot afford a diamond. 
  • So I just got mine a few days go - and its center stone is Moissanite w/ the setting in diamonds. Love it. So much.

In certain lights you can see a little bit of a yellow tint (It is a forever Brilliant) and in others it seems 100% clear. I love the fire in it though. That was a big draw to me. That and the fact that Fi wants a meteorite wedding band - so I thought it would be cool to have a stone created with the same "DNA" as meteorite. 

Anyway - here it is:

Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Thanks for the advice everyone! I just fell in love with the setting and my boyfriend did too. We did decide to go with the mosissanite for the center. I gave him my top three setting choices and he's going to pick from that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards