Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

S/Os on the invitation

bwybwy member
First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its
edited October 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
SO FMIL sent me a list of people and gave every 'single' person a +1. I asked FI about who has SOs and who doesn't. I guess two guests do indeed have SO's, I just don't know the SO's name and I had never even heard of these people before I got the list. Is it okay to just write "and guest" or do I need to get the names?

Also, are labels on an invitation really rude? Why? 

Re: S/Os on the invitation

• Options
    If they are actual SOs find out the person's name and write it on the invite. 
    If you don't know the names, ask FMIL, the aunt, whoever, someone will know
  • Options
    Try Facebook stalking. Usually you can get the SO's name that way, without having to spend a lot of time on it. 

I've heard that labels are rude. Not sure why though. Lazyness? 
  • Options
    I would definitely get the names. Putting "and guest" can make the SO feel unappreciated or insignificant. It's much better to put their name.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I did labels - for our STD, Invites and am doing our RD invites with them today. Sorry.not.Sorry.

BUT - I found every name of every person invited to our wedding - even if we hadn't met them, ,they were new to someone's life, etc. Facebook stalking and asking friends and family works well. FI's boss's wedding invite said "FI and Guest" -yet at the wedding they said how excited they were for our wedding and how they felt like they had already met me with how much he talks about me at work. I was going to say "Oh really, yet you didn't know at least my first name to invite me to your wedding? Or to look at his FB page and see "engaged to Ms. FI." 

So yeah...find out their names.
  • Options
    If you and your FI got invited to a wedding and you were addressed as "and Guest" would that make you feel appreciated?  Probably not.  Find out the names.

• Options
    In this day and age, finding out their names shouldn't be difficult. If you can't FB stalk, have your FMIL find out - they're her guest list additions. 

Labels are technically against etiquette. They're impersonal and meant for business correspondence. 

Personally, I find (clear) labels to be a victimless etiquette crime. However, people will think your wedding is more informal. If you won't be writing on the envelopes yourself, I think printing directly to the envelope (we did this - sorrynotsorry) is less cringe-worthy than using clear labels. Don't use white labels.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    In this day and age, finding out their names shouldn't be difficult. If you can't FB stalk, have your FMIL find out - they're her guest list additions. 

Labels are technically against etiquette. They're impersonal and meant for business correspondence. 

Personally, I find (clear) labels to be a victimless etiquette crime. However, people will think your wedding is more informal. If you won't be writing on the envelopes yourself, I think printing directly to the envelope (we did this - sorrynotsorry) is less cringe-worthy than using clear labels. Don't use white labels.
    I find that more and more business go the print directly on the envelope route so really if you want to significantly distinguish your mail from that of a business then you need to hand write it.  But seeing as most business mail is sent via a business envelope, not an invitation envelope (two different and noticeable sizes) then I really don't see how the two can get confused for the other.

I also don't see how printing directly on the envelope is any less impersonal as labels are.  Both are printed by a printer so both are equally impersonal.  But alas it is an envelope that gets ripped up and thrown into the trash so really, in the end, it doesn't matter.

• Options

I find that more and more business go the print directly on the envelope route so really if you want to significantly distinguish your mail from that of a business then you need to hand write it.  But seeing as most business mail is sent via a business envelope, not an invitation envelope (two different and noticeable sizes) then I really don't see how the two can get confused for the other.

I also don't see how printing directly on the envelope is any less impersonal as labels are.  Both are printed by a printer so both are equally impersonal.  But alas it is an envelope that gets ripped up and thrown into the trash so really, in the end, it doesn't matter.
    My handwriting is bad, and my husband's is even worse. I think printing on the envelope can look nice, and labels don't.

I also put my money towards the food and open bar rather then a calligrapher, sorrynotsorry. 

• Options
    Labels are a victimless crime. And one the post office will appreciate if you have poor penmanship.

And guest on the other hand has a victim, get the SO's name. You'd want them to do the same for you :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards