Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Photo copyright questions? (video too)

I'm just beginning to search for a photographer. I have 3 questions - 1. Getting copies of all the digital photo files sans watermark is fairly standard these days, right? 2. Is it possible to find a photog who will sell you the copyrights (and still be an insured vendor as our reception venue requires)? If not - 3. What language should I make sure is in the contract so the photog can only use the photos to promote their business (as in, not to sell for stock image/video use, news stories, etc.)?

The whole copyright issue freaks me out. And once I figure that out, I have to find someone actually talented, yikes :)

Re: Photo copyright questions? (video too)

• Options

My photographer gave us copyrights - i didn't purchase any prints or a book through her, I just paid for her services for the day and copyrights to all the prints. She was a insured vendor.  Some photographers i looked at charged a lot more for copyrights (some of the bigger companies that have been around as wedding photographers for awhile) the girl i used worked for herself not a larger company.   

• Options
    I'm just beginning to search for a photographer. I have 3 questions - 1. Getting copies of all the digital photo files sans watermark is fairly standard these days, right? 2. Is it possible to find a photog who will sell you the copyrights (and still be an insured vendor as our reception venue requires)? If not - 3. What language should I make sure is in the contract so the photog can only use the photos to promote their business (as in, not to sell for stock image/video use, news stories, etc.)?

The whole copyright issue freaks me out. And once I figure that out, I have to find someone actually talented, yikes :)
    I receive printing rights with my photos. My contract stated that they could use the images to promote their business, but not for resale or commercial use outside their business. I would not hire a photog that did not give me print release and full personal use of the images. I can't sell the images or use them commercial. It is common to only receive watermark proofs until you have paid in full.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    From what I've seen most photographers retain copyrights but give people some kind of print release, and large photos with no logos. I think most won't give up copyright completely- that would mean they had no right to use the photos they took and you could do whatever you wanted with them. Key words in the contract should mention "print release" or some kind of "license" you are getting as a client to use your photos personally.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards