Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Tips for searching for and choosing Photographer

I'm now within a year of our wedding and have started planning again. I bought a Groupon for a 2-hr photography session. It was cheap enough and we need to practice putting our camera faces on. We're terrible at posing for pics! This is really a pre-engagement-photo-shoot photo shoot. If that makes sense. 

I'd like tips or list of criteria to consider when searching for a photographer. Also, what factors are critical when choosing between the good candidates.

Re: Tips for searching for and choosing Photographer

• A Practical Wedding has a good post on choosing a photographer: http://apracticalwedding.com/2014/02/choosing-a-wedding-photographer/

When I was looking, I googled our area and "wedding photographer," and checked the vendors here and on sites like A Practical Wedding and Offbeat Bride. 

The single most critical factor for us was style: we wanted photos that look essentially like what your eyes seem just more polished (no filters, vignetting, etc.) and a photojournalistic style (minimal posing). 

Philosophy was also important. We wanted a photographer who'd focus on capturing our wedding as it felt. We didn't care so much about details or posed family shots. 

Photography was our top priority, so we were ready to spend whatever it took to get what we wanted, but if your budget is tighter, then price will definitely be a factor. 

We wanted someone we got along with—you spend sooo much time with them, it's nice if you actually like them. 

And we wanted all our digital images with printing rights.
  • Here's my quick suggestions…
    - Look for a number of wedding, not just one good wedding. Look at the composition of the photos. 
    - Take a good look at group photos, everyone LOVES the photojournalistic poses of the B&G - but they often overlook the group images. You know the one of your whole family that you mom wants on the mantle. Don't get caught up in the still life pics - anyone can put a ring on a heel of a pretty shoe or take a photo of a dress in a window - just tell them you want it.
    Ask about back up cameras. What type of lenses do they prefer and why. How do they deal with lighting. 
    - Do they have experience at your venue?
    - Do they offer Second shooters?
    - Do you get the digital rights? Do you get ALL the photos or how many? Are they edited? What does edited mean to them? How big will you be able to print them/ how large will the files be?
    - What's the turn around time.
    - And above all - are you comfortable around them??

When you look at their portfolio pay attention to the average looking couples with average venues. Some people are so gorgeous every photo looks amazing, I'm not one of those people so I like to look at images a more real couple when critiquing. I also look at photos of a location isn't over the top gorgeous, like the couple, a location that is so stunning that every photo looks like a postcard isn't going to help unless you are getting married at the same location- KWIM?

Consider these things to start when selecting a photog and ask on your local board for recommendations. Also search for reviews of ones your considering. GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• This is great! Thank you both for your advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards