Wedding Woes
Options

I hate my wedding...

nixa104nixa104 member
First Comment
edited October 2014 in Wedding Woes
FIrst thing's first; my wedding day was October 4th 2014, 6 days ago. I have done nothing but cry and feel angry about it since then. First off, I wasn't able to have the day I wanted (the 5th, rather than the 4th). Second, my day happened to be the first so far this year below 60 degrees, and also happened to be the day that broke the local drought, with what the weatherman (whom I would love to smack for his terminology) called a "much needed, saturating rain". Friday was beautiful, Sunday was gorgeous! And Saturday was 40, rainy and absolutely miserable. Then 3rd, nothing, and I mean NOTHING went right. I spent 5 months (it seems like a short period of time, but I'm a stay at home mom) putting every available moment I had into planning, and designing my perfect wedding. I had the perfect dress, rings, party attire, table settings, tableware, flowers, centerpieces - everything. 

Then is comes down to the day before the wedding. In a rush, I got my nails done, spoke to DH's aunt who is a cosmetologist who was doing my hair the next morning - and finalized with her, didn't meet with the officiant bc he said "we didn't need to". Rode an hour to pick up my fiance, then went an hour back to our "rehearsal" (for which we were almost an hour late). The plan being; I was getting married in a pavilion at a state park - at noon. The night before, we were supposed to arrange the tables (they were already there), and do simple things like; clean the tables, put down the runners... That's really it - doesn't seem like much right? Well, we get there, it's full dark, 2 out of 3 of the grooms party that were there were drunk and "weren't moving any effing tables, don't even effing think about it!", so we decided to meet early on the morning of to do "all of that". 

Fast forward to "D-day" (this is not intended to be a bad thing, my fiance and I lovingly referred to our day as D-day from the beginning). I wake up at 6:30 am; half an hour earlier than I had to, to shower, drink coffee and wait to get my hair done. About 7:30 I sit down, and get my hair done - this takes maybe half an hour? And it was perfect. Now, I did not get dressed in my dress. I was supposed to then immediately go to the pavilion to set up and do all the things that  weren't done the night before - this is 9 am or so. 

No one else (besides my party) were up, or ready to go anywhere or do anything. SO I have to wait until 11:30 to even leave to make the 20 minute drive to the site - watching the hours tick by, and having waves of nausea, and panic the entire time. "My ceremony is supposed to start in __ minutes and no one's even there, nothing is set up or done!" - every 5 minutes or so. Meanwhile - it started raining at around 5 that morning and it was POURING. 

I finally get there at about 10 minutes to noon, and about half of my family, and my party and a few guests are there running around like crazy in a desperate attempt to get SOMETHING at least HALF-WAY set up, and decent. To absolutely no avail. The centerpieces I slaved and agonized over planning and creating for FOUR MONTHS - never got set up. My memorial table for my grandmother and son - was never set up. Head table - never even SAT at, none the less set up. My candy buffet which my fiance and I argued over selecting the right candy for, for over a month, was a soggy disaster. I had no aisle. My cake was NOTHING like it was supposed to be, I couldn't even put the topper on it! And! It was at least twice what it was actually worth! Everyone is yelling and screaming at me to do this or how do I do that, and get dressed! Omg, and the only bathrooms within a 10 minute drive were OUT OF ORDER that morning - we were supposed to get port-a-potty's and NEVER did. My 2y/o dd's dress was hand made and I never even laid eyes on it, or my veil until about 10 minutes before I walked. And she did NOT want to cooperate; fought to get dressed, then kept wiggling out if it - and even refused to walk! Which we'd practiced for over a month!

Then the fun stuff. No one will listen as I finally say eff it - this is a disaster, but I am getting married damn it. So it takes 20 minutes just to line up the parties to walk. Again, I have no aisle, since we were flooded in, and no room at the head of said imaginary aisle, so everyone was crowded. And if you remember, as I said we had no rehearsal, and never met with the officiant bc "we didn't need to". So everyone is confused and just everywhere, then starts the damned ceremony. First off, we wrote our own vows, and were not supposed to have a reading of any sort, since we wanted a totally non-religious, non-denominational ceremony, and the officiant starts reading a FOUR PAGE SERMON - the groom, and his party are yawning, rolling their eyes and hysterically laughing the entire time. Oh, and I almost forgot the BEST part. The officiant didn't even have my DH's name right! First he had the first name "Dom"; right and last name wrong, "A***s" instead of "A***i". So amongst everyone laughing like hyenas, I'm mortified and try to correct him, and instead, he switches to "Dommy A***s" - which a lot of people are still joking about - but I was so upset, I almost broke down crying, and want to everytime someone brings it up. 

So finally, we get through that disaster and onto the reception. As I said, it was about 40F - raining and miserable. SO everyone is in light, comfy clothes (I shopped in July and August - there was nothing else) and FREEZING - at least half of us ended up sick. The majority of our guests and party had to leave within half an hour bc it was just too cold and wet. I had my first dance with my pretty hair, awful cried through make-up in a flannel shirt and jeans with wool socks. I didn't get professional pictures bc it just wasn't in the budget. Half of them are too dark, I look miserable and fat and again - cried through make-up is always fantastic. Especially next to my ridiculously photogenic family and in-laws... 

No one even got my daddy-daughter dance on video for me, or my DH's mother-son dance. And my garters that I took so much time picking just the right ones, we didn't really get to do the garter toss. There was no song, no fun - he reached up, took it off under my dirty, soaking wet dress, and kinda flung it to no one standing behind him. I then tossed my bouquet to my sisters and my daughter. Then a couple people had a couple beers - a few family members got so wasted that there was even more drama after the wedding. 

Then we went back to my in-laws house, and fell asleep, with our DD in between us about 9pm. 

I hated my wedding. I hate everything about it. I don't look back on any of it with fondness, I want to scream and cry. Everyone keeps saying "well, you got married, that's the important part, right!?" No. Not right at all. We have been together for 5 and a half years. We were practically already married - nothing changed that day or since, other than my last name. This was supposed to be a day to celebrate, have the party we wanted and planned - and it was a disaster. 

I think for our "anniversary" the date we started dating; June 5th - I want to plan just a reception re-do. And I don't want anyone to criticize me for it. I had my "real" wedding - it was "really" awful. And I will keep all my decorations (thank god I decided to go with fake flowers) and do my re-do reception the way the original was supposed to be. I didn't write this post for advice, or anything like that - I'm sorry. But I desperately needed to get it all off my chest. Thank you to anyone who reads through my horror story lol. 

Re: I hate my wedding...

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I'm sorry you had an upsetting day.

I HIGHLY recommend that you get your husband's full name out of this post. It makes it VERY easy for internet creepers to start creeping. And change your user name to something without any part of your name in it.

Internet safety, yo.
  • Options
    Oh no! I'm so sorry, that must have been stressful.  You know the saying "When it rains, it pours" and it seems that it happened to you both literally and figuratively!  The good news is, it's done and now you just get to be married.  

I totally understand why you are upset right now but over time it will hopefully turn into a funny story "Hey! remember when we got married and the wedding was a complete disaster?" :) 

Try to relax, I highly recommend a honeymoon, even something inexpensive to get some alone time and wind down.  Sounds like you need it :)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    *Also, have some wine. And chocolate! They make my world round in times like these.
  • Options

Seriously edit the identifying stuff out of there.

I'm sorry you had a crappy day.  I hope venting helps.

• Options
    nixa104nixa104 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2014
    DixieNormous330 Thank you, I didn't even think about it - but did fix :)
  • Options
    bahamabride2015 Thank you, We had a few days, yesterday we got our daughter back, and he had to go back to work, and we went through a bottle or 2 of moscato lol. I keep trying to laugh about it - and I really hope I legitimately can eventually.
  • Options
    Wow, that's quite a wild ride!  It actually makes for an amazing story.  

I'm so sorry that your wedding wasn't your vision, but it sounds like an adventure and you and husband survived together.  Don't ever say you two can't face a challenge!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Thank you goldchocobo :) That is very true. Awesome name and signature btw! 
  • Options

Can we compare notes?!?!!?  This is why I come back and frequent this board...  The only detail to have gone right with our day was we both showed up and got hitched!  Focus on that part and only those details that did go right for you.  You'll drive yourself batty thinking about the negatives for years to come.  But also, recognize where you made mistakes too so when you're doing events in the future (birthday parties, family milestone anniversaries, showers, etc.) you don't make those mistakes twice!  In years you'll look back on your day remembering people that are no longer with you, how your 2-yo was just feeding off of your stressed out energy, how exhausted you were that you got back to the IL's place and all snuggled in together asleep.  How fantastic your hair looked.  How much you loved your dress (at least you got that!).  Looking at your groom with a WTF face together at the officiant in only a nonverbal communication that the two of you could share.  That's the stuff to focus on and remember. There's also a saying "Rain on your wedding day is considered good luck!"

Hiring a coordinator would have eliminated the decorating and lack of practice for the ceremony.  Restricting the alcohol until after the rehearsal.  Choosing an indoor venue would have eliminated the fact that you were outside, cold, and wet (and many would have arranged the tables for you).  Hiring a photographer to come in for a few key pictures (which doesn't break the bank) would have ensured that you had decent pictures. 

So it wasn't your "dream day" - but maybe your dream days are yet to come.  The day your 2yo is fully potty trained so you can go out for a few hours without a diaper bag/extra change of clothes, the day you welcome a sibling (should you choose), the day they're old enough to go to an amusement park and go on the "big kid rides" together, the day she does her homework without you having to nag her,  the day they graduate from school, the day they come home and say "Mom!  I found THE ONE!", the day you live vicariously through your daughter's vision of her dream day to make sure it comes together the way SHE wants, the day any future children would arrive to this world, the day you get to spoil grand-babies then send them home.  Your dream days are yet to come and you'll realize just how much bigger they are. 

Also - don't waste money on a "re-up" - use that money for a honeymoon or trip to Disney instead.  Maybe get some formal family pictures of the three of you.  You sound like you need the R&R more!  Do something like recite your vows together wherever you are on your anniversary in the future or plan the 25th Anniversary as a re-up...

• Options
    For your pictures, would you consider a "trash-the-dress" photo shoot.  I'm not saying trash your wedding dress (personally something I would not do), but it is a photo shoot where you get back in your wedding clothes and take some pictures, possibly in an alternate location than where you got married.  You could do it for your one year anniversary (as in do it on a nice fall day that is not raining).  You don't need to get an expensive professional, and a photo session isn't too expensive and you can have some nice pictures then.  Just a thought . . .
    I'm thinking of doing one, not because my pictures didn't turn out, but because I got married in the winter and pictures were limited.  Darn it, I want a picture of me climbing a tree in a wedding dress!  Or something equally fun. 

• Options
    nixa104 said:
    bahamabride2015 Thank you, We had a few days, yesterday we got our daughter back, and he had to go back to work, and we went through a bottle or 2 of moscato lol. I keep trying to laugh about it - and I really hope I legitimately can eventually.
    One day, you'll laugh. Not now, obviously, because things went wrong and that sucks. 

It's like having a shitty Christmas, only x 100. I spent all month getting ready and baking and wrapping and decorating and fussing over the menu, and then my best friend doesn't come and my kids got the evil heinous crapping and puking flu and so my parents couldn't come, and my beautiful Christmas dinner was me, crazy Uncle Bolshevik, a ten pound prime rib that nobody else could eat, and major fucking disappointment. 

Of course, it's worse because you only have one wedding, and I genuinely am sorry, because it bites.

On the practical side- you can't change it. It's done, the ship sailed, and it was a frikking disappointing cruise.

The only thing you can change and actually have control over is how you go forward from this. I say, go forward like a champion. When you start feeling shitty and sad, have a list of good positive affirmations to read to yourself, and say them out loud. "This is one day, not my whole life." "Things can only get better," "We're married and we have each other," that kind of stuff. Say them until it happens naturally, replacing the sad thoughts with better ones. 

One of the things that would be making me saddest, in your position, is the idea that typically, in our lives, the wedding and reception are a once in a lifetime opportunity to throw a huge beautiful party.

But that needn't be so. Start planning a beautiful anniversary party. Maybe for your fifth. Start putting a little money aside. Even if it's only 10 dollars a week, in five years you'll have a couple thousand- enough to buy a beautiful dress and have a hell of a nice party. (Indoors.) 

Or something similar. You see what I mean? Give yourself something to look forward to, something to plan, something romantic and beautiful to be excited about. Because a wedding day doesn't have to be the only beautiful and romantic day, or the only fabuloso party of your life. 

Hugs to you. And yes, wine and chocolate. 

• Options
    Wow. I was reading this and almost envisioning everything happening. I'm so sorry that your day didn't go as planned. No one can say anything to make that feel any better. DO IT AGAIN. Seriously, save a bunch of money and on your 10 year anniversary as a couple, RENEW your vows and have a perfect ceremony that you'll be able to remember forever. The biggest thing to spend on with a wedding is your photographer. Those photos will make your event last for a lifetime and will be something you can look at for years and years to come.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards