New York-Hudson Valley

Thank you Cards

Hi all,

I got married in June of this year and am currently waiting for my photographs so I can do my thank you cards. I am getting worried that people may think the thank you cards are not coming since it's been over four months now (the photographer is almost done with them). What's the latest that you send out your thank you notes? Am I worrying over nothing? Also, could I do a post card type thank you (pictures of us on the front and a sincere note on the back) or is it more acceptable to a thank you card in an envelope? Thanks in advance!

Re: Thank you Cards

• I'd get them out asap!   Can you just get 1 pic from the photographer to use so you can get them printed and out?  I think postcards are fine, as long as the back is hand written not a generic thank you message.  
  • I have a few....I kinda wanted more of a selection so I could do a collage on the front..I really don't want to use the ones I have for a thank you...I'd rather have more of a selection, you know? Nobody has asked if I was doing them, but I don't want to wait too long either..the 3 photos I have are group shots of us and the wedding party and then a shot of me and my husband walking down the aisle, but he doesn't like that photo, so I guess I'll just have to wait :( the photographer told me that they are almost ready and I don't want to bug her again as when exactly that would be...My goal is to get them out by the end of December at the very latest....
  • My friend got married in May and hasn't even started her thank you cards.  And the last couple of weddings I went to I didn't receive them for quite a while after.  I don't think people are actively checking their mailboxes for your thank you cards.  Get them out by the new year and you are fine! It's better to put the time and effort into them rather than rushing to get them out to people.

• You need to get them out now. I got married 9/27 and mine are going in the mail tomorrow. And I can guarantee you that if I (and most of the people I know) went to a wedding and didn't receive a thank you after four months, I'd be wondering what the hell happened.
  • I went to a wedding about 5 months ago and haven't received any thank you and in my mind am thinking wow how rude that they couldn't even send a thank you note!   I completely don't expect one at this point.    I think it's more important to get them out and not wait for the perfect picture to go on it.  Other than maybe immediate family members, its most likely going to go into the trash after they receive it.  
  • kk111415 said:

My friend got married in May and hasn't even started her thank you cards.  And the last couple of weddings I went to I didn't receive them for quite a while after.  I don't think people are actively checking their mailboxes for your thank you cards.  Get them out by the new year and you are fine! It's better to put the time and effort into them rather than rushing to get them out to people.

I'm sorry, but this is TERRIBLE advice. People took time of our their lives to attend your wedding and gave you a gift. The least you can do is send a thank you in a timely fashion, not six months later. That is so rude!
  • Sorry, I guess I just understand that after the wedding it's back to your real life.  And I guess I'm just a very easy going person and highly understanding.  My friend hasn't sent hers out and I totally don't take offence to this because right after her wedding she ran into some serious family problems (her younger brother has cancer and is extremely sick) that have consumed all of her time.  And my other friends who sent them out a little late were in fact waiting for their professional photos to come back so they could use them for their thank you cards.  I actually like the cards with all of the wedding photos on them rather than a generic thank you card.  It shows that they put some time and effort into sending something that can remind you of their special day and all of the fun that you had.  

You can't rush your photographer and the hi-res touched up images are much better than what comes straight from the camera.  

Your thank you letters aren't late because you don't feel like doing them, they are late because you want them to be special and that it totally understandable!

If you want them to be special and have pictures from your wedding, then talk to your photographer and see what they can do about sending some of the touched up images early.  And get to work on them asap.   
  • Yes, do get them ASAP.  however, custumerily six months is the appropriate time. - but I will send my thank yous about 2 months after the wedding since I will be away and want to order thank you magnets to go along with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards