Wedding Invitations & Paper

Help with invitation wording please!

Hi all, we're having a destination wedding in January 2015 with immediate family (parents, our siblings and their SOs only) and we'll be hosting a cocktail party for our family and friends a few weeks after we return (80 or so people). I'm playing around with the wording on our invites for the cocktail party and would appreciate your feedback. 

Some details: the party will begin at 8pm and is being held at an upscale restaurant in our city. We will have music, an open bar, passed hors d'oeuvres and a sweet table. Since it begins at 8pm, do I need to mention anything about cocktails, no seated dinner, etc.? I've had a few invites recently that stated 'beverages and hors d'oeuvres will be served'...this is what I'm thinking:

The pleasure of your company is requested to celebrate the marriage of

Bride
and
Groom

Date
Time
Venue
Address

Re: Help with invitation wording please!

• No, you don't need to mention anything about the type of entertainment in the wording.

I wouldn't use the phrase "celebrate the marriage of" because that could confuse people into thinking that you're inviting them to the actual wedding (which, BTW, you should do if you're going to invite anyone to "celebrate" it later) with this invitation.

I think @CMGragain can recommend good wording for you.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    Bride's Fuil Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
     were united in marriage
    January date, 2015
    City, State

The pleasure of your company is requested
    to celebrate their marriage
    Date
    eight o'clock in the evening
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @Jen4948 - thank you, noted! 

@CMGragain - thank you, that sounds great :)

One question - our wedding is on January 31st and our cocktail party is on February 21st. I expect to send the invitations prior to our wedding to give people enough notice, so should I put 'will be united in marriage' instead? 
  • That would be acceptable, but remember, this party is not part of your wedding.  It is simply a celebration party.  You do not need to send the invitations six weeks in advance.  Word of mouth is a good idea.
    Calling your party a "cocktail party" is a misnomer.  You can certainly serve cocktails at 8:00 PM, but a true cocktail party is before dinner, not after.  Traditionally, cocktail parties were at 5:00 PM, so that guests could attend the theater or restaurant.  Just call it a celebration party.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Call it a cocktail party. I wouldn't be confused in the slightest by a cocktail party invite for 8pm. Celebration party is two synonyms next to each other. 

The first "cocktail party" was held at noon. 
  • Call it a cocktail party. I wouldn't be confused in the slightest by a cocktail party invite for 8pm. Celebration party is two synonyms next to each other. 

The first "cocktail party" was held at noon. 
    Really?  I learn new things every day.  Tell me about it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards