Wedding Party

What DID your bridal party do?

This board gets so much traffic for "bridesmaid / MOH duties" and we always say there really are no duties besides showing up in the appropriate dress on time and sober.

So, let's discuss. What DID your bridal party do? Maybe a good discussion will help set reasonable expectations.  

I had one MOH and two BMs. They:
a) Planned a great bachelorette party
b) Found dresses
c) showed up on time
d) took pictures
e) stood at the altar with me
f) offered general help with anything, though I never needed to take them up on the offer
g) my MOH also helped me during the day get my high heels on and carry the train of my dress when I kept tripping over it. She also helped me navigate the stairs. 

That's really about it. We didn't have any toasts and we didn't have a rehearsal.  They choose to get their hair professionally done, and willingly wore the hairpieces I chose (though I didn't dictate a style to go with the piece).  

How about you? 

Re: What DID your bridal party do?

• MOH planned a low-key bachelorette party and gave a kick-ass toast that included everyone serenading us.

BM 1 came with me to my bridal portraits, and BM 2 came with me to one of my fittings.

All 3 of them bought their dress, showed up at the wedding, got ready with me, and had a jolly good time.

BM 2 had to leave halfway thru the reception, and I hardly noticed.
  • My MOH (also my sister) went wedding dress shopping with me.  I don't know who was more excited about it, me or her.

My MOH and BM (only had two girls) planned a lovely shower for me.  

We went shopping separately (due to them living in different states) for BM dresses.  

My BM and I went to Universal Studios for my bach party (my MOH had to work).

My BM helped me to book hair and makeup since she worked at a salon and were friends with the hair and makeup ladies.

My MOH helped me get dressed (along with my Mom), helped me with my train and held my bouquet during the ceremony.

They both showed up on time (for both the rehearsal and wedding), stood next to me during the ceremony and were in pictures.

That is it.

• I had two bridesmaids and one MOH.  We all lived in different states, so we shopped online together.  They each bought a dress they liked (after I told them color/length) and had it altered.  (They actually all ended up loving the same dress, so they ended up matching.)

They came to rehearsal.

The night before the wedding, my MOH and her mom (who is like a second mother to me) offered to give me a pedicure.  

The day of the wedding, they got ready with me.  One of my BM's took it upon herself to make sure I ate something (bless her, I would've never made it down the aisle if she hadn't been firmly pushing a plate of fish and chips in my hands).  

They walked down the aisle and stood by my side.

They took pictures with us after the ceremony.

They joined me at our king's table (along with their SOs). 

MOH gave a hilarious, beautiful toast.

They had a kickass time at the rehearsal.

BM was my partner for beer pong at the after party.

Best bridal party EVER.
    Anniversary

• 1) My MOH/sister threw my wedding shower at her house and planned my low-key bachelorette party after asking what I wanted to do.  My 4 BM that were friends all attended both.  My 1 BM that is my cousin attended just the shower.
    2) My 4 BM friends went dress shopping with me one night and my MOH went with me on another day.  I selected the dress designer & 3 colors I wanted (2 BM in each) and they sorted out who would wear what color and each chose a different style.
    3) When I ordered my dress & all the BM dresses from a cheaper online retailer, ALL BM paid me immediately.
    4) My MOH/sister said she'd help me with things (had I needed her - like invites, flowers, etc), but living 75 miles apart made it easier for me to do it myself.
    5) All came to the rehearsal the night before, to the salon to get hair done (I chose a beauty school where it was $25 each), and we all got dressed at the park together.

My girls rocked, but that's why they're my friends!
  • My sister (MOH) went shopping with me for my dress and BM dresses.  

BM#1 threw me a small and awesome shower for my side of the family in our hometown (My sister asked her to coordinate this for me as she lives overseas - but she participated as much as she could from there)

BM#2/#3 (DH's sisters) helped throw a shower for DH's family (it's huge) in their hometown.  

MOH planned a low-key bachelorette that a few friends and BM#1 attended.  

All BM's 1,2,3,4 and MOH attended the rehearsal and dinner, got ready with me (I paid for hair and makeup), stood next to me at the ceremony, took pictures after, and then partied with everyone at the reception!  BM#4 was only able to attend the rehearsal and wedding although she was invited to everything else. 

My sister (MOH) also gave a toast/speech. 
  • I had four bridesmaid and no MOH.

One of my BM (SIL) organized my bach party and helped the MIL with the shower.  Only one other BM made the Bach party and the three of us ran all over NYC being crazy/shopping/getting pics with random people...it was a blast.

One BM lived across country so I didn't see her until the rehearsal.

One BM offered to help, but I didn't need any.

All of them came to the salon to get ready (their choice) and got their hair and/or makeup done.  Some of them gave me money to cover it...I just paid the rest.  I was fully prepared to pay it all on my own but they insisted.

All of them arrived to the venue with no issues, posed for photos, walked down the aisle and stayed sober for most of the night.  One of them held my flowers, and one helped pin my dress after the little hooky/latch thing at the top of the zipper went missing!

• My sister (MOH) kept offering to do things but she was living several states away and I'm a type-A planner, so it just didn't make a ton of sense. She planned a "bachelorette" which was really just "let's go bar hopping" with a co-ed group of people. I ran a lot of ideas by her when she asked how stuff was going. She also came dress shopping with me when she was home on holiday.

The other BMs attended the shower (hosted by a family friend), came to the rehearsal and RD and came to the wedding. I asked them to buy a dress - there were about 5 style options. One offered to throw me an engagement party but it was like 6 months after the engagement so I declined.

I bought all of them shoes, a Coach bag, a pearl necklace, pearl studs, and a pashmina. Then I bought a bunch of hair accessories and just let them choose anything (or nothing) they might want to use in their hair. I also bought them flip flops to wear at the reception.
    *********************************************************************************

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014

I had 1 MOH and 5 BMs. 4 were local and 2 were on the other side of the country.

MOH went wedding dress shopping with me and 2 BMs went with me to the dress fittings (their request, not mine)

The local BMs/ MOH came to try on dresses, gave opinions and selected a dress. All purchased the dress on the early side to get an additional discount.

The locals attended my engagement party.

All flew to FL for my bach party.

All attended my rehearsal and rehearsal dinner

All got ready with me the morning of the wedding (I paid for hair and make up)

All stood by my side during the ceremony. And all party with me during the reception.

I did have a bridal shower but it was not hosted by my MOH/ BMs. They offered to help with crafts and DIYs. But I really didnt have any, since I am not crafty at all. And got married before the pinterest craze. I also had a wedding planner who took care of the crap jobs that BMs normally get saddled with.

edit: there=/= their

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My MOH is 1500 miles away, but she's been super-enthusiastic! So far all I asked her to do (and totally expected her to say no) was to listen to the wedding dinner playlist since FI and I are putting it together ourselves using Spotify. Turns out she was more than willing and had some really good suggestions on the music.

And she's been a fantastic listener when I've been stressed, which doesn't last long. Usually saying it out loud makes me realize I've been petty, and if I'm not being petty, she helps me figure out what to do about it.
  • Planned a multi-venue bachelorette party and one of them came with me to my floral appointment and final fitting, attended the rehearsal and dinner and then volunteered to set up the reception stuff the morning of the wedding.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    I had 3 BMs plus my MOH.

MOH threw a shower and a b-party.  She also helped me drink wine and assemble invitations and went with me to a cake tasting.

My local BM came to the shower and b-party.  

One of my OOT BMs came to the b-party.  (Which is huge.  Flying for a b-party is a BFD.)

The other OOT BM came to the wedding only.

All of them got their dresses, showed up vaguely sober, and smiled for photos.  They also had a blast with me, which was the important part.  I have to stress that I was thrilled that they did this much.  I didn't expect anyone to throw parties, and I certainly didn't expect anyone to travel for them.  
  • I had 1 MOH and 5 BMs. My MOH came dress shopping with me once, as did another of my BMs. All of the girls surprisingly (and awesomely) checked out BM dresses with me and ordered the one they all agreed upon.

They all worked together to host an awesome bachelorette party, and helped our moms plan a bridal shower.

Then they came to our rehearsal, hung out at the dinner we hosted afterwards, and hung out with me while we all got ready the next day! Then they took photos with us before enjoying cocktail hour and the reception. They were pretty amazing.
  • I decided to only have a MOH (second wedding, and I had already done the whole big bridal party thing before). 

She came dress shopping with me, along with my mom and MIL. I mentioned I was going and told her she was more than welcome to join us - her choice. And she really wanted to come. 

She threw me a really awesome bachelorette weekend/party. I told her I wanted something easy and low-key, but she and the rest of our friends took me away for the weekend. 

She helped me pick out songs for the wedding. 

She attended the rehearsal and dinner the day before. 

She helped me get ready the day of. And she gave the sweetest toast that made me cry all the tears. Oh, and because we got married on my birthday, she had them bring out a small cake for me right after they toasted us. It was really awesome. 
  • I had 1 MOH (sister) and 5 BMs 

-All came to my engagement party
    -MOH and 1 BM went dress shopping with me (3 trips actually.. but I think they wanted that more then me!)
    -All 6 met at DB to try on dresses (each picked their own) and go to lunch after.
    -They all threw me a very special shower
    -MOH and 2 BM hosted an AWESOME weekend away Bachelorette with 10 guests!
    -MOH and 1 BM helped with invitations
    -MOH and 1 BM (different then previous BM) helped me with favors
    -MOH and 2 BM went to get pedis and manis the day before and massages (massages were my treat!)
    -They all went to the rehearsal and dinner
    -Slept over with the MOH in her room (while she helped me finalize the seating for the caterer)
    -They all came over they next morning/day of for breakfast and to have their hair and make up done (provided by me)
    -Helped me get dressed
    -Rode in the Limo with me and then walked down the aisle and stood by me
    -MOH signed my Ketubah
    -Posed for photos
    -Great speech by my MOH
    -MOH and 2 BMS stayed up till 4am at the after party with me celebrating!

I also want to note my mom was a part of almost all of this as well.

Wow going back to read that they did so much! I feel so blessed and loved! <3

Anniversary
  • I had 3 BM's and 1 MOH:

- MOH went dress shopping with me and came to my fittings
     - MOH planned and hosted an amazing bridal shower at a winery
     - MOH also planned and hosted a fun bachelorette spa day, dinner, and dancing
     - 1 BM helped me bottle wine for our wedding favors
     - All the girls went BM dress shopping and bought their dresses 
     - All the girls got ready with me the day of (I paid for their hair and nails)
     - All the girls went to our wedding after party
     - MOH and 1 BM bustled my dress at the reception
     - All the girls took pictures and stood at the altar for the ceremony
     - MOH spent the day before the wedding with me helping me run errands and get stuff ready
  • This is for my daughter's wedding:  her BMs helped keep her calm when she became momentarily stressed just before the ceremony.  We all sand "Goin' to the Chapel of Love" in three part harmony.  It made her smile.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • penguin44penguin44 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Answer
    edited October 2014
    My MOH and BMs did some great things for me. 

Favorites: 
    -feeding me grapes while my manicure dried. 
    -picking bugs out of my dress while we took pictures before the ceremony. 

Both things I told them not to keep doing, and they still did. Love them. 

ETA:
    Anniversary

• My sister was my MOH & I had 2 friends as BMs.

MOH came wedding dress shopping with me & our mother, bridesmaid dress shopping, and helped me decide between 2 pairs of shoes when I emailed her the photos. She came to my fitting (which we scheduled at the same time as hers for convenience) and learned my bustle. She also made a toast at the wedding. Oh! She & my BIL also picked me up at my house after I got my hair done & drove me to the venue since H was already gone & we didn't want 2 cars.

One BM offered to help with wedding planning & prep stuff, but I never took her up on it. She got the dress & chose to get pro hair with her own hairdresser.

The other BM handled getting her dress on time, even after the stupid store shipped it to the wrong address and she had to fight with them when they tried to blame her.

The 3 of them, together with my mother, threw me a terrific shower. And the three of them threw me an awesome bachelorette party.

They showed up to the venue early, got ready, carried their flowers down the aisle & stood there for our ceremony. And then had a blast at the reception & afterparty.

• I had 1 MOH and 1 BM.

BM came dress shopping with me- found it first time shopping. She also came to one of the two fittings just to learn how to do the bustle. MOH out of state, could not attend.

Both- Went shopping together with me and picked out their dresses and out to lunch.

MOH- planned a small beach day bachelorette for 4 people. BM came.

Both- offered great advice when I freaked out about the wedding 2 months prior, and canceled the huge venue in favor of immediate family only event.

MOH- came to the salon with me to get hair done the morning of the wedding and drove me to the wedding. BM did her own hair and met us there.

Both- took pictures, stood by my side, had a fun time!

• One thing I wanted to add - I did a lot of DIY stuff for the wedding. My MOH didn't help me, my now-husband did. He helped me stuff all of the invitations and he helped me make all of the centerpieces. My MOH and many other friends offered to help, but I didn't take them up on it. 
  • I had 2 MOHs (my sister and my BFF) and 1 BM (his sister).

All 3 came dress shopping with me, and to get their dresses, and my fitting. One MOH came with to pick up dress and learn how to bustle.

Both MOHs threw me a shower and b party. All three were at the shower, BM did not come to b party due to health issues.

Both MOHs helped with printing the DIY invites, plus addressing and stuffing envelopes.

All came to the rehearsal and dinner.

All got ready with me the morning of the wedding.

All took pictures with us and the bridal party.

All walked down the aisle and stood by me as I got married.

MOHs bustled my dress after the ceremony.

One MOH kept track of my lipstick and phone, and picked up our signed and completed marriage license from the table where we left it without thinking when DH and I went to do more pictures after the ceremony.

MOHs gave a joint speech that was awesome.

MOHs were out on the dance floor whenever I was.
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014
    My MOH planned and hosted my bachelorette.  She also went to one of my fittings with me, but not the second. She also came to both of my showers.

My two BMs came to one of the showers, which was two days before the wedding. One of my BMs also helped with my hair. 

All three helped out with setup and decor and afterward with cleaning up when the wedding was over after my H and I left.

I was a MOH for A, a BM for B and am currently the MOH for an upcoming wedding for C. 

I co-hosted a shower and hosted a bachelorette for A. I helped a bit with the shower for B. I helped with decor and setup for A's and B's weddings, and helped with the cleanup afterward. I am planning to host a shower for C, and I will likely help out with setup and decor and cleanup afterward for C's.

I never went shopping with any of them, and not with C either. I would have loved to, but was not in the same city where they went shopping. BM dresses were made by my mom. C is remaking her mother's gown, and I think BM dresses will be made as well for her wedding.
  • I had 3 BMs no MOH.   2 of them came dress shopping with me (before I even asked them to be in the wedding).    We all went dress shopping once together for them, but they ended up each going on their own to buy their dresses since they were wearing what they wanted.  They throw me a shower and planned a bachelorette party for me.     They all offered help throughout but there wasn't really anything I needed help with.   They got ready with me (two came to the salon to get their hari done where i was, the other met us at my house to get dressed), posed for pics and had a fun time.    

• These are so nice to read :)

• Simky906Simky906 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    I had 1 MOH and 2 BMs. MOH and BM A were more hands on as they were local and BM B was not.

MOH and BM A went shopping for BM dresses with me (texted pics to BM B)

MOH planned and hosted an awesome bachelorette (we went to trapeze school!) with help from BM A 

BM B offered to throw me a shower in our hometown (where she still resides) but I couldn't make the timing work 

MOH offered to help me address wedding invitations 

All 3 attended the rehearsal and dinner 

MOH and BM A spent the night with me before the wedding and got ready with me the morning of; including MOH helping me with my makeup 

All 3 looked lovely in their dresses, stood by me at the ceremony and partied the night away 

MOH also signed our Ketubah, gave a lovely toast and went with the hotel staff to take our gifts to our room (venue requirement). She also grabbed the tip envelopes while she was up there.

In short, my ladies are amazing and I feel so lucky to have them in my life!
  • ahyatt87ahyatt87 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    I had 1 MOH (my sister) and 2 BMs. MOH lives 90 minute drive away from me, one BM was on the opposite side of the country from me, and the second BM lived in a different country.

1. MOH went dress shopping with me for my dress to different stores in different cities also
    2. MOH went shopping with me to choose aBM dress designer (got her budget and other two BM budgets individually, before this trip)
    3. MOH planned and co-hosted a bridal shower with my Aunts (only MOH attended)
    4. All slected and bought their dresses then had them altered
    5. One BM and MOH planned/coordinated a bachelorette party (dinner and then kareoke)
    6. All attended the bachelorette party
    7. All attended the rehearsal and rehearsal party with their partners
    8. All got ready with me the morning of
    9. All had pictures taken
    10. All stood by me at the ceremony
    11. All partied with me at the reception

They were amazing! I still can't believe all the work they put into making me special :)

ETA: forgot the rehearsal

1. MOH and BM1 went wedding dress shopping with me (they're my sisters and would have gone regardless of WP affiliation).
    2. All BMs chose their own dresses at one of 2 shopping trips we took (all couldn't make one date due to their own lives) and had them altered.
    3. All chose their own shoes in whatever shade of nude/gold they wanted, in whatever style they wanted.
    4. MOH and BM1 hosted my shower and planned my bachelorette party. BMs 2 and 3 attended.
    5. BM4 (then-FSIL) co-hosted my second shower with her mother (then-FMIL).
    6. They all attended the rehearsal/dinner.
    7. 4 of them chose to have their hair and makeup done with me the morning of. BM2 did hers herself so she could spend more time with her child that day.
    8. BM3 picked up our flowers since the florist shop was close to her home.
    9. MOH stayed with me in the hotel the night before the wedding.
    10. They all smiled for the camera.
    11. They all stood by my side as H and I said our vows.
    12. MOH gave a toast.
    13. They all partied with us at the reception.
    Here's what'll kill a lot of the SSs on here. 3 of them didn't give us a wedding gift. Not even a card. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. They were there with me and that's the biggest gift I could ask for.

• I had two bridesmaids, one MOH (my sister), all of whom live 9+ hours away from me.

They came dress shopping with me when I was in the area (for my sister's wedding), and one bridesmaid is the reason I picked out the dress that I did.

They threw me an amazing shower in my hometown that I attended via Skype.

They all helped decorate the hall, which turned out about 1000x better than I ever could have imagined, thanks to them.

They got ready with me the morning of the wedding and helped cinch me into my dress.

They stood up with me while I married my love.

They danced their ASSES off.
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
    1. MOH and BM1 went wedding dress shopping with me (they're my sisters and would have gone regardless of WP affiliation).
    2. All BMs chose their own dresses at one of 2 shopping trips we took (all couldn't make one date due to their own lives) and had them altered.
    3. All chose their own shoes in whatever shade of nude/gold they wanted, in whatever style they wanted.
    4. MOH and BM1 hosted my shower and planned my bachelorette party. BMs 2 and 3 attended.
    5. BM4 (then-FSIL) co-hosted my second shower with her mother (then-FMIL).
    6. They all attended the rehearsal/dinner.
    7. 4 of them chose to have their hair and makeup done with me the morning of. BM2 did hers herself so she could spend more time with her child that day.
    8. BM3 picked up our flowers since the florist shop was close to her home.
    9. MOH stayed with me in the hotel the night before the wedding.
    10. They all smiled for the camera.
    11. They all stood by my side as H and I said our vows.
    12. MOH gave a toast.
    13. They all partied with us at the reception.
    Here's what'll kill a lot of the SSs on here. 3 of them didn't give us a wedding gift. Not even a card. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. They were there with me and that's the biggest gift I could ask for.
    My MOH didn't give me a gift either, or a card. And I honestly didn't even realize until I read your post. And I really don't care. She already went above and beyond. 
  • I am very opinionated about the wedding party - it's a massive privilege but they are also there to help you through the day, right?! Everyone did quite a few bits and bobs to help with setting up but their job was mainly done after the ceremony (I really didn't want help going to the loo....)

I wound up with 5 bridesmaids (2 best women but I think you call them 'MOH's' in the States...?), 1 flowergirl and the groom had 4 ushers, 1 master of ceremonies and a best man. Phew.  It looked lovely, though a lot of suits and dresses to sort.

They were all fab, were really helpful with the guys parking cars, helping the elderly and paying the band etc.

Read my Blog at http://bridechiller.blogspot.co.uk/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards