Budget Weddings Forum
Options

Extra Costs

We received the contract for our dj and they require we are charged for the meal for the dj in the amount of $50.00. I'm curious, will I be required to also feed other vendors like the photographer, etc. I would think that should be included in their pricing. Is this a common practice? It will be paid but I am curious how it works for my head count for the reception. How or when do they take breaks? Our dj will be with us from 3-12 am.

Re: Extra Costs

• Options
    All of our vendors required meals. The prices were never specified but they all needed to eat. Some venues offer "vendor meals" that are cheaper and easier to eat but we made the decision to serve them the same as other guests.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I paid for meals for all of my vendors, but the payment went directly to the venue as part of my per person costs for the reception. The vendor contracts just stated that a meal is to be provided. I would make sure you are not paying twice for a meal.

Usually the vendors eat when everyone else is eating, as there is usually nothing else really going on during that time. They are professionals and they will keep their break for their meal as short as they can. 

• Options
    Usually, yeah. Many reception venues have vendor meals for cheaper but you are certainly welcome to provide them with the same meal the guests get. Vendor meals are usually quick meals like sandwiches as far as I understand.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yep. Feed your vendors the same as everyone else. Nearly all will require it, and include them in your caterers final count.

Well fed vendors are happy vendors. Happy vendors work better.

Anniversary
  • Options
    vulpiepop said:
    Usually, yeah. Many reception venues have vendor meals for cheaper but you are certainly welcome to provide them with the same meal the guests get. Vendor meals are usually quick meals like sandwiches as far as I understand.
    I disagree with this statement.  Vendors are typically served the same meal as the wedding guests.  Many venues will offer the vendor meal at a reduced cost because it does not include the bar portion.  I personally think it is rude to offer vendors a cold sandwich if your guests are receiving a hot plated dinner.  My daughter's photographers were with her for at least 10 hours.  The least they deserve is a decent dinner.

@phat49firstime, it seems very unusual that a vendor adds a charge for the meal into his contract.  I would discuss with him that you will be providing him a meal through your venue, and will personally absorb the cost.

**I have no idea why my text is underlined at the moment.
  • Options
    jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    MobKaz said:
    vulpiepop said:
    I disagree with this statement.  Vendors are typically served the same meal as the wedding guests.  Many venues will offer the vendor meal at a reduced cost because it does not include the bar portion.  I personally think it is rude to offer vendors a cold sandwich if your guests are receiving a hot plated dinner.  My daughter's photographers were with her for at least 10 hours.  The least they deserve is a decent dinner.

@phat49firstime, it seems very unusual that a vendor adds a charge for the meal into his contract.  I would discuss with him that you will be providing him a meal through your venue, and will personally absorb the cost.

My guess is the specified amount (which is sort of a weird thing to do) is so that he's fed the same thing as everyone else or so that it's known in the case of say a $100/plate meal that a sad little sandwich and an apple isn't going to cut it, but he's certainly not expecting to be fed filet and lobster.  I'm sure he's not actually itemizing how much his meal costs.  Either that or he really is charging them because he's been stiffed too many times getting either no meal or a paltry sandwich and he'll be bringing his own food, but making them pay (I suppose I could see that if he had severe allergies or dietary restrictions, too).

But yeah, OP, you have to feed them.  These people are putting in long, hard hours for you with a minimal break.  You wouldn't work 9 - 12 hours without a lunch or dinner break, so they shouldn't either.  It's standard to feed them.

Also, those "vendor meals" are rude (where you're feeding them a sandwich and an apple while everyone else eats steak).  They need to be fed a hot meal that's reasonably equivalent, if not the exact same, as everyone else.  Here's a facebook page for where wedding/event vendors (photographers, DJs, etc.) in the DC area post their meals - I promise you they will be talking smack about you behind your back if you give them a sandwich, chips, and an apple (assuming you aren't serving sandwiches, chips, and apples to all your guests).

https://www.facebook.com/vendormealsDC

• Options
    Yes, you must feed your vendors (the ones that are contracted to stay through the dinner hour...for example, photographer, videographer, DJ, etc.). This will usually be written into their contract so read carefully! Ask your venue if they provide a "vendor meal" which is a sandwich or other simple meal. Your vendor does not expect to be fed filet mignon or whatever you are feeding your guests!
  • Options
    They can think its rude if they want- but sorry, they should not get a $100/plate meal when I am already paying them thousands of dollars to be there (for WORK)!
  • Options
    People can put whatever they want in a contract. Contracts can be negotiated also. So if you do not like what is in the contract either negotiate or find another vendor. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I've never seen a dollar amount associated with a vendor meal before, that is kind of odd. Although I have seen they have to get a meal the same or equal to what everyone is getting. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- If my DJ was at working from 3pm until 12am, I absolutely would feed them a nice hot meal. Not just a sandwich. Actually I served my DJ and 2 photographers the same meal as the guests (duet of crab cake and filet) at $90+ a pop. That was after I asked if they had any dietary restrictions.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I certainly wouldn't insult my photographers or musicians by offering them a sandwich and apple. 
    A: because the fact that they're employed for the evening doesn't make them less deserving of courtesy, and B: if I was treated like an inferior by someone trying to save a few bucks, I certainly wouldn't go the extra mile to give them my best work. People always do more for people who treat them well. Fact of life. 

At my second wedding, the caterer priced "vendor meals" which were identical to the guests, but at a discount. 
    At my daughter's wedding, when asked about a discount for vendor meals, the caterer said don't worry about it, and just added them into the final count at no charge.

I've never seen a contract with a specific dollar amount. It's odd, but maybe the DJ is sick of people offering him a cold sandwich. 
    Almost every contract I've looked at said "same as guests."
    I would be uncomfortable and embarrassed to offer less.

• Options
    I can't say I've seen an extra charge in a contract so far, but yes, it is typical to feed them. As far as breaks, you should talk to your individual DJ as some of this depends on their habits or whether they have an assistant with them -- our DJ told us he does not really take breaks, but I think this is unusual. 

Check your contract carefully to make sure you are meeting all requirements. We would likely not do vendor meals anyway, but our photographer specifically requires not only the same food but also the same seating as our guests. This means we have to factor him into our seating chart as well. This did not come up until the contract was mailed to us (not that it's an issue, but it was something we simply hadn't thought of), so if there are vendors you have yet to book, it can't hurt to find that out while you're meeting with them. 
  • Options
    I fed all of my vendors, but I paid for that through my venue, not to the vendor directly. I'm curious as to how that would work out in your case. So, the DJ tacks on an extra $50 for a meal, but then you have to pay for your venue or caterer as well to feed them? Or does the $50 mean they will cover their own meal? 

My venue did offer two options for feeding vendors. You could do a regular entree, which they offered at a reduced rate, or you could do a deli tray. 
  • Options
    Thank you for all your comments. I will contact the dj and ask the questions.
  • Options
    Your DJ is going to be working for 9 hours. I dont think its unreasonable that they get a meal and a few bathroom breaks. They are people too. And yes, we fed all of our vendors. They ate when we ate.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    They can think its rude if they want- but sorry, they should not get a $100/plate meal when I am already paying them thousands of dollars to be there (for WORK)!
    Yes they are working and you are paying them for that work.  But a nice hot meal that isn't some crappy cold sandwich will make your vendor want to work a lot harder for you.  Treat your vendors kindly and they will perform more then likely over what they are contracted for.

• Options
    jacques27 said:
    MobKaz said:
    vulpiepop said:

My guess is the specified amount (which is sort of a weird thing to do) is so that he's fed the same thing as everyone else or so that it's known in the case of say a $100/plate meal that a sad little sandwich and an apple isn't going to cut it, but he's certainly not expecting to be fed filet and lobster.  I'm sure he's not actually itemizing how much his meal costs.  Either that or he really is charging them because he's been stiffed too many times getting either no meal or a paltry sandwich and he'll be bringing his own food, but making them pay (I suppose I could see that if he had severe allergies or dietary restrictions, too).

But yeah, OP, you have to feed them.  These people are putting in long, hard hours for you with a minimal break.  You wouldn't work 9 - 12 hours without a lunch or dinner break, so they shouldn't either.  It's standard to feed them.

Also, those "vendor meals" are rude (where you're feeding them a sandwich and an apple while everyone else eats steak).  They need to be fed a hot meal that's reasonably equivalent, if not the exact same, as everyone else.  Here's a facebook page for where wedding/event vendors (photographers, DJs, etc.) in the DC area post their meals - I promise you they will be talking smack about you behind your back if you give them a sandwich, chips, and an apple (assuming you aren't serving sandwiches, chips, and apples to all your guests).

That page was interesting. A view from the vendor's perspective. Really appalling were the crappy sandwiches and bruised apples that the bride and groom paid 30$ each for. 
    And like Jaques27 pointed out, my daughter's photographers were with us all day. From noon to midnight. Damned if I would ever have offered them a cold sandwich and bottle of water while everyone else was enjoying their prosciutto stuffed chicken and pastas. 
    Good manners don't stop because you've contracted someone's services. No, they're not "guests," but they are skilled professionals working with you to make your event successful. And deserving of common courtesy. You don't have 100 people in a room enjoying nice food, and 5 or 6 banished to the cold and indifferent sandwich table. Be gracious. 
  • Options
    jacques27 said:
    MobKaz said:
    vulpiepop said:

That page was interesting. A view from the vendor's perspective. Really appalling were the crappy sandwiches and bruised apples that the bride and groom paid 30$ each for. 
    And like Jaques27 pointed out, my daughter's photographers were with us all day. From noon to midnight. Damned if I would ever have offered them a cold sandwich and bottle of water while everyone else was enjoying their prosciutto stuffed chicken and pastas. 
    Good manners don't stop because you've contracted someone's services. No, they're not "guests," but they are skilled professionals working with you to make your event successful. And deserving of common courtesy. You don't have 100 people in a room enjoying nice food, and 5 or 6 banished to the cold and indifferent sandwich table. Be gracious. 
    That page is very interesting (and appetizing for the vendor meals done right! OMG that steak looked bovine  divine) I feel really bad for the vendors who got stiffed, that poor vendor at the potluck wedding.

Anniversary
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    jacques27 said:
    MobKaz said:
    vulpiepop said:

That page is very interesting (and appetizing for the vendor meals done right! OMG that steak looked bovine  divine) I feel really bad for the vendors who got stiffed, that poor vendor at the potluck wedding.
    Holy crap!  Did you see that super thin slice of cake?  WTF was up with that?

• Options
    When I first entered the workforce, my dad told me to always be extra-thoughtful to the people you can't do without. From bringing cold bottled water to the garbage guys on hot days, pizza and beer for movers, dropping some of your homemade cookies off with IT, or giving your wedding DJ a good dinner, this has always held true.

Why would you want to run the risk of leaving a bad taste in the mouth of someone who you're counting on?
  • Options
    peachy13peachy13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    annakay511 said: They can think its rude if they want- but sorry, they should not get a $100/plate meal when I am already paying them thousands of dollars to be there (for WORK)! ----
    Real nice. Yes you don't need to feed them filet and lobster but you should provide a good hot meal for your vendors. They are working but they are also working
    hard to make you happy.

• Options
    When I first entered the workforce, my dad told me to always be extra-thoughtful to the people you can't do without. From bringing cold bottled water to the garbage guys on hot days, pizza and beer for movers, dropping some of your homemade cookies off with IT, or giving your wedding DJ a good dinner, this has always held true.

Why would you want to run the risk of leaving a bad taste in the mouth of someone who you're counting on?
    X100. If there's a contractor or crew in my house, I always offer something. Cold bottled water on a hot day, a pot of coffee and cookies on cold days, sandwiches or pizza if I can spring for it. And yep, like Maggie pointed out, the restroom really matters. "If you need the restroom, feel free." Because yes, some people are just dicks, and think that being gracious stops at the moment you're paying for services. 

• Options
    Absolutely agree with PPs. These people are working long hours to make "your special day" everything you hoped for. Sure, you're paying for their time... and the amount of their meal is a very small percentage of that, and of your overall wedding budget. It is well worth it to ensure that they're happy and on-point. My photographer buckled my shoes and cleaned my nephew's puke off the dance floor, and her assistant bustled my dress. Our entertainers played extra time because people were having so much fun. They went above and beyond their contract for me - might not have if I'd stuck to the letter of their contract and only given them the bare minimum meal.

And the same goes for other services. We tip our garbage collectors and mail carrier during the holidays. We fed the people building our barn a hot lunch every day and gave them some respite from the cold drizzle. My office feeds us dinner when we have to stay late, and sometimes brings in lunch just because it's snowing. People do better work when you treat them like PEOPLE.

• Options
    KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    Not to mention, we're talking about third-party venues here. A lot of times vendors (and anyone) are prohibited from bringing in their own food or drink, so they really are at the mercy of the hosts.

Even if they could bring their own food with them, they aren't always afforded the typical breaks (they can't just take off for forty-five minutes here, fifteen minutes there), and they may not even have any real space to call their own - none of the trappings they might have at an office job they could bring their lunch to, like a desk and chair, lunchroom, access to a fridge and microwave, vending machine, coffee, etc. Maybe nowhere to even store something like a lunch bag and thermos because everything in their "work space" is a part of the wedding décor - the hosts have paid for every table, chair, tablecloth, and so on, and everything has to look pretty and serve a purpose.

Just let them freaking eat like the guests do, when the guests do (you don't really need photos of people eating, and you don't need dancing music selected during that time either).
  • Options

I simply asked my vendors if they wanted a meal and if they minded being sat with the guests. Our photogs had no problem and offered a free hour if they could take half an hour to eat. I gave them the same dinner choices as everyone else. Happy vendors = great services. My planner and her asst had their own dinner arraingments with the venue as it was a place they work with almost daily, so I wasn't charged anything extra and have no clue what/when they ate.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    What if the venue doesn't allow vendor meals at all? I really love this one place but they do not allow vendor meals, I can not purchase them, I can not purchase them full guest meals etc. and I do not know how to handle that.
  • Options
    What if the venue doesn't allow vendor meals at all? I really love this one place but they do not allow vendor meals, I can not purchase them, I can not purchase them full guest meals etc. and I do not know how to handle that.
    Sorry but this makes no sense.  I would just include your vendors into your total headcount.  How will your venue know that one of those meals is for your DJ?

And if the venue really won't allow you to have a meal for your vendors then that is not a venue that you should go with.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards