• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Offbeat Weddings

Do what you want.

I thought I'd stop in and encourage brides/grooms/anyone to just do what they want for their wedding. My husband and I were stressed while planning a wedding because we hate dancing. Hate, hate, hate. But, we thought we had to because, hello, wedding. Then, randomly we decided we wanted to bowl and do games. At first, we were like, "Oh, this is a terrible idea no one will like it."

Then we realized it's our wedding and our day to do whatever we want.

So we did "fancy bowling" as I called it. We got married in February and I still have random family members texting/calling/e-mailing me to tell me how our wedding was the best wedding they've ever been to. 

If you're debating doing an offbeat wedding, don't even debate anymore. Just do it. You'll be happy, your guests will be stoked that they're not forced to listen to the same ol' speeches and watch people do the same ol' dances. There's nothing wrong with traditional at all, but if that isn't what you want, then do what you want. I wish I'd spent less of my planning time worrying what people would think and more time being confident in my decision. It's your day: just think, "What will I look back on in 40 years and be overwhelmed with joy about?" Because I know I'll think about destroying my husband during our first game as husband and wife. 
AussieCat42mrsk616

Re: Do what you want.

• It's fine to do what you want with the caveat that you have also taken your guests' comfort into account. I would guess you did that since you're still getting compliments. We also still get compliments on our relatively traditional wedding with a 50s diner themed reception.
    chibiyui
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards