Getting in Shape
Options

Lifestyle Changes

Has anyone else adopted any lifestyle changes to get in shape?  I've started juicing, I cut out all meat except fish (I cheat once in awhile), and getting back into MMA.  I'm starting to take some vitamins and stuff for my skin and hair too.

Oh and I'm working on quitting smoking which hopefully won't make me gain weight, but I want to stop.

Has anyone else made changes in their daily life to shape up for the wedding?  Share! :) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Lifestyle Changes

• Options
    I started juicing too. I went gluten free (which I should have done YEARS ago because I have a wheat allergy). We started eating more meal at home, instead of eating out. At home I stick to cooking fish, chicken and turkey. I've cut out red meat and pork. 
  • Options
    I've started cooking a lot more too, and gotten really familiar with different seasonings and spices.  I think a lot of people fall off their diets because the food is repetitive.  Seasonings are my favorite way to change up a meal without adding extra calories.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I went mostly primal/Paleo. I've found it helps me keep my weight in check, especially when I'm not working out.
  • Options
    I'm cutting out carbs, including beer. Loving the lack of bloat at the moment.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    For breakfast I've been having a protein shake (I just cut out milk and I'm now using water) I stick with vegetables and protein for lunch and dinner. I haven't cut out red meat (god it's so impossible... I love steak) but I'm making sure my meals don't include starches like pasta/rice/potato.  I also try to drink a lot more water. I find that when I stay hydrated I just feel so much better and I get sick less. As of right now, I spend my weekdays really focused and use my weekends to cheat a little so I don't go crazy.  Cutting out gluten made a huge difference for me.  Also, I don't eat more than 2 fruits per day because they are very high in carbs and sugar.  Besides that, just trying to stay active! Good luck! 
  • Options
    I have changed my diet completely.  I eat clean and cook every night.  Meal prepping has helped a lot.  Sometimes on Sundays I'll cook for the next few nights if I know I will be working later than usual.

I'm not a breakfast person during the week because I wake up so early for work, I drink a meal replacement shake and add fruits to it.  

I also drink either almond or coconut milk, but I also have a slight intolerance for milk. 

I'm not completely gluten free, but there are certain things that I don't mind eating that are gluten free.  

I haven't really cut out certain foods, though I do try to minimize my pork and red meat intake.  I also cook in coconut oil.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have cut out all wine for the time being.  I used to love it too much on the weekends but I just needed to step away from it for a month.

I have a veggie with every meal.  I cook more.  I drink more green tea.

I've had fast food a few times but I forgive myself for it.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Yes!  I have used the 21 day Fix program and shakeology to turn my lifestyle around!

It's awesome to have a nutrition plan and a workout plan that works!

I have lost 20 lbs since September 1st and plan on keeping this lifestyle change!  I feel amazing!
  • Options
    Dang, you guys are warriors. I have a really hard time saying 'no, you  must never' about anything because then my brain tells me 'YOU MUST HAVE ALLLLL OF IT"  there are definitely things I haven't eaten in awhile simply because I know it's not the greatest for me, i.e. a big bowl of lucky charms.   I would like to cut my alcohol consumption on weekends, and my biggest goal right now is to stop buying lunch.

• Options
    Thankfully I had already started changing my lifestyle about 6 months before I got engaged. I was recovering from some injuries that had really messed up my fitness regime and I had gained more weight than I wanted/realized. So I decided to get back on track and started using MyFitnessPal to help me figure out what my caloric intake and output were. 

Now I've set up a particular fitness routine that gives me a good variety (to help decrease possible injury again) and I've changed how much I'm eating. It also has given me an awareness of just how many extra calories can come from non-nutritious foods (like alcohol, desserts, etc). This has helped me make smarter decisions about how often I indulge and has motivated me to really work out a lot. I am also cooking more at home and measuring/calculating/watching portions more. I'm not as rigorous as I was when I was using MyFitnessPal, but the knowledge I gained there has helped immensely. 
  • Options
    Try the book "Fit For A Bride" by Greg Doyle.  You can download it from amazon and it's pretty cheap.

I read it and tried out his plan for a week and was amazed at both how great I felt, and how much weight I lost.  I would have continued on after the first week but I have over a year till my wedding so I am taking it easy for now and just trying to figure out what works for my body.

Remember- it takes 21 days to form a habit, so find what works for you and stick with it.

I cheat all the time (Halloween was way more than cheating) but I don't get upset about it.  I try to allow myself a treat once a day because it cuts out the "I NEED TO EAT EVERYTHING BAD FOR ME IN SIGHT" feeling.  Also, once you start figuring out what works for your body and start losing weight, you will want to stick with it.
  • Options
    What vitamins are you taking for your hair and skin?

I changed some habits about two years ago and feel great! 

Nutrition: whole food; at least half my plate is taken up by vegetables at lunch and dinner; I have a source of protein at every meal and snack (I have low blood sugar so I have to eat every three hours or so); I only drink water, herbal/green tea, and morning coffee (and some alcohol every once in a while); I have some flaxseed oil in shakes/oatmeal/salad once a day

Exercise: stretching or yoga (once or twice per week), strength training (once/twice), and running (twice)

Supplements: iron (diagnosed iron deficiency) and vitamin D in the winter
  • Options
    ljealba said:
    Yes!  I have used the 21 day Fix program and shakeology to turn my lifestyle around!

It's awesome to have a nutrition plan and a workout plan that works!

I have lost 20 lbs since September 1st and plan on keeping this lifestyle change!  I feel amazing!
    I love Shakeology! I love BB programs, too. Highly successful.

Keep it up, girl!
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Water water water!  Supposedly if you drink water before every meal it curbs your appetite.  I keep a bottle with me all the time.

Someone once told me that you should wait 20 minutes after each helping of food.  This is the time it takes to realize if you're full or not.  I find it helps a lot.

Any time I need to lose weight I walk (in addition to other exercise).  A lot, like at least one hour per day.  It's the best way to burn fat.  I also recommend parking far from the entrance every time you go somewhere, always taking the stairs vs. escalators.

Not eating anything after 7PM.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards