Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Gift for Wedding Party

Just wondering if the gift to the wedding party has to be a "thing"?  I was thinking of doing a spa day for me and my wedding party (plus my mother and FI's mother) the day before the wedding as the gift.  Was thinking massages and man/pedis at a nice spa.  

Acceptable?

Re: Gift for Wedding Party

• Options
    Eh, I am a fan of presents that have zero to do with the wedding.  To me a spa day the day before the wedding is not really a gift, because it is more 'lets get pretty for my wedding day' type of thing.

And are all your friends into spas?  What happens if some can't make it?  Do they just not get a present?

• Options
    Could you maybe get them something small in addition to the spa day? Like a 10 dollar Starbucks gift card or a paperback book? Going to the spa as a group gift is nice, but kinda awkward in my opinion.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Or if they're into spas, maybe a spa gift card. Or even make your own gift cards for after the wedding like getting nails done, spa day, etc where you go with them and pay. You can still have a girls day, but it has nothing to do with your wedding. Again, if they like that.
  • Options
    Shop for their WP gifts like you'd shop for them individually for a birthday present.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    beethery said:
    Shop for their WP gifts like you'd shop for them individually for a birthday present.

THIS.  Get your girls something they would like that is not related to the wedding. 

All of my BMs are huge coffee drinkers so I found them all different travel mugs and stuffed them with gift cards to their favorite coffee places (starbucks, dunkin donuts, wherever), then I got them each an individual gift around the same value that was completely different.  Some of the girls used their mugs the morning of the wedding!

• Options
    I think I would love getting treated to a spa day. I might still try to do something so that you're presenting this as their bridal party gift, such as maybe making a little gift box or bag with a brochure of the spa, bottle of nail polish, little bottle of champagne, maybe even a robe, along with a note to each maid thanking them for being in your wedding. I would give the gifts to your maids and even just say something like "I'm giving you your bridesmaid gift early instead of at the rehearsal dinner/day of wedding..." (just in case someone thinks that you're just treating them to a spa day and then are expecting a tangible bridesmaid gift later on).

I think it's a really thoughtful and useful gift idea. Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I only have 2 bridesmaids, my sister and my best friend who I know are both into spas/massages/ pedicures/ pampering as I have done them with both several times.  No concerns about them not being able to make it as they are both flying in the week before the wedding. 

I've thought about doing gifts, I was initially thinking of doing custom made kaftans (beach cover up style) by a local designer, which run about the same price as a day at a fancy spa.
  • Options

beethery said:
    Definitely agree with this, for my friend's last birthday we went for mani/pedis and facials (on me) and I got her a sweater.  For my sister's last I took her to an outdoor Scandinavian spa place with hot/cold pools, saunas/steam rooms and we had massages, wine and cheese.   
  • Options
    Personally, I would love this. So it really depends on your girls. I agree that you should purchase gifts like it was their birthday. So if this is something you'd treat them to on their birthdays, go for it. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree with PP. I love LOVE going to the spa. So, for me, this would be a fantastic treat. I think you mentioned that they enjoy it so it could be a nice idea, also, budget-allowing, with a little something more personal on the side.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love going to the spa, but I don't necessarily want to do it as a precursor to your wedding.  Maybe I'll want a massage or something AFTER the hullabaloo of the wedding is over.  Maybe I need a deep tissue massage right this very second.  I like the idea of a spa day, but I like it on my own calendar.
  • Options
    Spa day could be a great gift, but I think it needs to be a gift certificate for whenever your bm want to go, not on your schedule.

Doing it the day before the wedding is too close to paying for hair and makeup the day of the wedding. Paying for hair and makeup should not be their present, and neither should nails being done the day before the wedding, because it's more like a present for you.

• Options
    Well the idea was that it was going to be a nice thing for us to all do together since it is a destination wedding for them (not for me).  They're coming in a week in advance so I know they will be here then.
  • Options

I also think something small (completely unrelated to the wedding) would be great in addition to the spa. 

I'm taking my bridesmaids, mother, and MIL for manicures the day before the wedding, but then also giving them all some gifts the day of the wedding - some are kind of wedding related (necklaces I hope they wear at the wedding and embroidered robes with their names on them in my wedding colors) and others are not (monogrammed tumblers and restaurant gift cards).

• Options
    ssautter said:

I also think something small (completely unrelated to the wedding) would be great in addition to the spa. 

I'm taking my bridesmaids, mother, and MIL for manicures the day before the wedding, but then also giving them all some gifts the day of the wedding - some are kind of wedding related (necklaces I hope they wear at the wedding and embroidered robes with their names on them in my wedding colors) and others are not (monogrammed tumblers and restaurant gift cards).

We're also doing custom tumblers for our wedding party (their names, not anything about the wedding) We're doing THESE, people down here love them.  It's hilarious, when you go to a bar here, half of the people are drinking out of their own tervis that they brought.  They also get traded around  and  left at people's houses etc.  It's a running joke here, half of the ones I have in my cupboard aren't ours and the ones we have bought are nowhere to be found.
  • Options
    I agree with PPs that if it's "a nice thing you're doing because they're there for the wedding," I wouldn't really consider that a BM gift. It's a really nice gesture, but for a thank you gift I would prefer something I could use on my own time.

• Options
    ssautter said:

We're also doing custom tumblers for our wedding party (their names, not anything about the wedding) We're doing THESE, people down here love them.  It's hilarious, when you go to a bar here, half of the people are drinking out of their own tervis that they brought.  They also get traded around  and  left at people's houses etc.  It's a running joke here, half of the ones I have in my cupboard aren't ours and the ones we have bought are nowhere to be found.

@BahamaBride - that's so cute!  I'm sure they'll love them :)

I'm one of the first of my close friends to get married, and those that I asked said they would use the tumbler at work or something.  I want the gifts to be a surprise for most BMs, so I didn't ask them all.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards