Honeymoon Discussions

Sandals - Butler Suite Tip Question

Since we had a destination wedding in Vegas we didn't take a separate honeymoon trip.  So, we are doing a Sandals trip for our first anniversary - so excited!

Has anyone done a suite with butler?  We booked one and I'm not sure how much to budget for the butler's tip.  I asked our travel agent and she said it was to our discretion.  Even when she visits and asks the butlers they never give her an amount.  

If you've had a butler suite how much did you tip?  Also, do you tip each day or at the end of your stay?

thanks!
We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 

Re: Sandals - Butler Suite Tip Question

• Hi, in our five (six next year) Sandals stays we've never done butler (we do club level) but a quick search on TripAdvisor points toward an average of $20 a day per butler can be given each day or at the end of your stay.

Also, do not forget tips for your driver from and to airport (we do $10 each way for both of us) as well as any tour guides (we do $10-$20 depending on the tour) and tour driver ($10-20). The other one would be luggage handler at the airport (red cap), no need for them to take your luggage, they are just going from point A to point B, you can simply take it yourself, unless of course you want them too. Once at the sandals lounge and your luggage is taken while you wait for your transport, that person is an employe of Sandals and does not get tipped. Sandals has a strict no tipping policy (exceptions are butlers,spa services and cabana butler if you rent a cabana for the day*different than regular butler and only at certain resorts*).

On average (non butler level) 6-7 nights doing 3 excursions we budgeted $100 for tips.

Which Sandals are you going too? We have been to Grande St. Lucian twice, Antigua once, Negril once, Whitehouse once and going back in a few months.

Hope that helps and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
  • ktbabe530ktbabe530 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014
    double post
  • Thank you for the info!  I was thinking much more, so I'm glad I asked!  I guess it depends on how much you ask them to do as well.

We are going to Grenada, the short drive from the airport appealed to us.  We got a swim up room with a tranquility tub - really looking forward to a relaxing vacation.  

Have you ever done any of the add ons?  We were considering doing a candlelight dinner on the beach for our anniversary dinner.
  • We would love to go to Grenada but flights are horrible (Philly area and even NY...trust me, I've look) so for now, that one is out. When we went to Antigua that was the appeal to that resort ('round about 15min from airport).  All the others have been about 1 1/2hrs from the airport.  

We've done the candlelight dinner twice (on or hm in St. Lucia and then our 1yr anniversary in Negril). It was very lovely but, turns out, it's just not our thing. We felt "watched".  You are right on the beach and people are just walking by (not many though as most are at dinner) plus your server isn't far away.  It just felt strange to us although it was very nice and romantic. 

The only other add on we did (wasn't really an add on exactly) was when in Antigua, we rented a car and drove around the island on our own.

Other than that we've just done the normal excursions from the resort.  

• I'm considering Sandals for our honeymoon next July. I like all of the resorts pretty much so I'm having a hard time deciding. Would you recommend splurging for the Butler level rooms? I feel that they are expensive, but I definitely want to make the most of our honeymoon and feel pampered. I'm wondering whether to stay in a standard room and save money for extra expenses like spa, golf, excursions, etc. or to go for the fancier room.
  • We went to St Lucia but did a standard room. Those do not come with an in room bar. To be honest the drinks at the bars are severely watered down. We saw them pull a new bottle out and there was no seal on it. In the concierge rooms and butler rooms that have the in room bar the bottles are sealed. Obviously wine and beer were not watered down.
  • edited October 2014
    I'm considering Sandals for our honeymoon next July. I like all of the resorts pretty much so I'm having a hard time deciding. Would you recommend splurging for the Butler level rooms? I feel that they are expensive, but I definitely want to make the most of our honeymoon and feel pampered. I'm wondering whether to stay in a standard room and save money for extra expenses like spa, golf, excursions, etc. or to go for the fancier room.
    Only you can decide what room level is right for you. 

Personally, we won't go less than club level as we want the added amenities that club level affords us and it must be ocean view or front (depending on what that particular resort offers).

We've never done butler it's really just not our thing nor are we prepared to spend the extra money.  I will say, if we were upgraded to butler at no extra cost (we were just upgraded this year at no extra cost but it was to another club level *penthouse suite instead of club level grand luxe room*) we'd go for it. Keep in mind, upgrades are solely on an availability basis and can be given to anyone whether they are a signature member or not (we are). 

Think about how much time you will spend in your room vs not in the room and what amenities are a "must have" and then go for the room you can afford and will be happy with.   

As for the post about drinks being watered down at the bar.  i guess in our 32 paid nights at 4 different resorts, we've gotten lucky and never had that problem, Food not being so great, yes, other minor issues and disappointments yes, but never watered down drinks. 

Providing the link still works above my siggy pic (Our Website), I have reviews and a ton of pics if you would like to check them out. 

• Hi! Did you end up going to Grenada?. If so, how was it.
  • I'm interested in this as well.
  • We are going in a few weeks!  Super excited.  I will write a review when we get back!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards