Snarky Brides

Prank proposal

Has anyone has their fiancé prank them before proposing? As in get them a crappy ring and then later say, "Just kidding babe, here's your real ring"? Or act like they aren't going to propose at all and then propose?

Re: Prank proposal

• bride2b71614bride2b71614 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    FI had the ring for two months before proposing. There were a few times that he would get down on one knee and look up and say "bride2b, will you...wait by my side while I tie my shoes?" I would give him an annoyed look followed by a playful shove when he got up. 

Did your BF propose? If so, based off your NEY posts, I really don't think that he will say JK here's your real ring. 

• I had a dream FI proposed with a twist tie with an LED light on it.  When we got engaged a few months later, I said "Well I was expecting an LED light..." and he laughed and said "Dammit!  Opportunity missed!  Oh well, I think you like this one better."
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• FI proposed with a fake ring in Chicago and then took me down the street to Jewelers Row to have me assist him in picking it out. It ended up that I narrowed it down and he choose everything from what I liked. It was a pretty sweet set up!

I have to think of something to do with this goofy ass fake ring. I might sew it to dangle on my bra or panties for under my wedding dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• DH would say things like, "What's this shiny thing in my pocket???? Oh just a quarter. "

But the true proposal was all romance.
  • Nope. 

Although we did have an interesting conversation a month before he proposed. We had both talked about marriage and I knew we'd be headed there eventually. Little did I know, he already had the ring and had everything planned out. We were at a friend's wedding, and after a little too much champagne, I asked him, "When do you think we'll get married?" And he was all, "Uh. I don't know. Maybe in a few years?" He totally threw me off. I was shocked when he proposed a month later. 
  • My husband and I had a conversation about 6 months before he proposed that ended with him saying "Well, maybe we should just get married." I just looked at him and said, "Well that was the worst proposal ever..." We laughed about it, but I really wasn't expecting him to propose so soon after the conversation!
  • Considering I had told DH several months before he proposed that I didn't want to get married ever, he was smart enough to never try to prank me. He was fortunate that I was distracted enough to say yes when he did propose, a fake proposal beforehand wouldn't have gone over well.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• DH did this a few times before we got engaged. I remember one time we were out with some of my family, and he jokingly got down on one knee (just to tie his shoe) but made a big joke about it.

Another time, we were at a Cubs game with friends, and he grabbed me during the 7th inning stretch and said, "look babe!!" and directed me to look at the board where people's birthdays, anniversaries, etc were being announced. I was just sitting there frozen because I was like, "ummm... he knows not to propose to me at a Cubs game, right????"
    imageimage">
  • DH did this a few times before we got engaged. I remember one time we were out with some of my family, and he jokingly got down on one knee (just to tie his shoe) but made a big joke about it.

Another time, we were at a Cubs game with friends, and he grabbed me during the 7th inning stretch and said, "look babe!!" and directed me to look at the board where people's birthdays, anniversaries, etc were being announced. I was just sitting there frozen because I was like, "ummm... he knows not to propose to me at a Cubs game, right????"
    Have you seen the video of the prank proposal at a baseball game? Dude's friends put up a proposal and the girl was so happy and so excited and boyfriend was like, "umm...no, I didn't do that" and she hit him. It made me LOL but I'd be PISSED if those were my friends.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • klk111415klk111415 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Answer
    edited October 2014
    My Fiance fake proposed a couple of times.  Once while we were hiking, another time at a hotel, but he never said "will you marry me"  He would just get down on one knee and look up at me, then pretend to tie his shoe.  He told me a few weeks before he proposed that it wouldn't be for a while (because he wanted me to be surprised when it happened).  When he actually proposed, he got down on one knee and said "Will you marry me... JUST KIDDING..." But with that I saw the ring in his hand and he said "But really, will you marry me?" I was totally shocked! And not mad at all for the "just kidding" part.  I thought it was funny (and very him).  I was happy he didn't do a long speech because he totally caught me off guard.
  • Nope. 

Although we did have an interesting conversation a month before he proposed. We had both talked about marriage and I knew we'd be headed there eventually. Little did I know, he already had the ring and had everything planned out. We were at a friend's wedding, and after a little too much champagne, I asked him, "When do you think we'll get married?" And he was all, "Uh. I don't know. Maybe in a few years?" He totally threw me off. I was shocked when he proposed a month later. 
    Hahaha, same thing kind of happened with H and myself but it was actually at dinner about 3 hours before he proposed.  I said something like "Are you ever going to ask me to marry you?"  He laughed and said something bratty and silly like "Maybe if you pay for dinner I will."  He was amazingly super cool for someone who was about ready to propose a few hours later.

• I do have one friend who opened the ring box to find not a ring, but he gave her the real ring a few minutes later. What was in the box was a reference to an inside joke. 

• My BFF and I were texting and she said, "I bet he's going to propose while you're on your trip!" and I said, "Nah, he's trying to wear me down until I'm ok with eloping."

He asked what we were talking about, and when I told him he did a Mr. Burns-style "eeeexcellent!!!!"

And then when we got there and got settled in the room, we went out on the porch and he asked.

He's a b-hole but I'm gonna keep him.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• This is what my FH did...
    We were boating with close friends and went to eat at Ryans Steak house (let me preface this by saying I HATE HATE HATE buffets), but I went along as a good sport, ate, went to the bathroom and came out to find my friends, their daughter & my FH near the front waiting on me, near the game machines.
    I walk over to them, my FH turns to me, gets down on one knee, holds up a tiny gold metal ring from the $0.25 machine and asks if I will marry him. 
    My neighbors are laughing, I'm horrified b/c i think this is the real thing and I immediately start hyperventilating. I was in shock, then he stands up and says i was just joking and starts saying he is sorry, and i start crying and walk out.
    I was horrified b/c i hate buffets and he did it in the lobby of a buffet, I didn't even care about the ring at that point, & when I realize it was a joke my feelings are crushed b/c I had ACTUALLY been waiting on a proposal...
    He never did that again...needless to say when he really did it, I still didnt even look at the ring until it was already on for about 30 minutes, and I cried shamelessly, w/o stop for about 5 minutes and then realized I hadnt said yes or no...lol... so i got my payback...& then said yes!
  • I thought FH was joking or I was dreaming when he proposed. In my defense, it was 8am on a Monday morning and I was half asleep.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• FI never joked about it, but he did totally take me by surprise. I think I even said "Holy shit" when he got down on one knee. It's kinda funny because that whole day I had been SERIOUSLY bitching about him not proposing yet. I had a good 45 minute conversation with my BFF that day about how I was sick of having to wait around for him to propose when I was ready for us to just do this already. And then we got engaged about 6 hours later lol
    Anniversary

• My fiancé flew me to Paris and then "fake" proposed at the top of the Eiffel Tower by grabbing my hands and telling me he couldn't wait anymore. Then he dropped to one knee and tied his shoe! I was so pissed. He really proposed the next day at the Luxembourg Gardens at a wishing well. He is always playing pranks on me so I wasn't really that surprised that he fucked with me before actually proposing.
  • FI and I like to go "urban exploring" - aka going to spots around CT to check out some very mind blowing graffiti by some famous underground artists. We were in this abandoned factory that was covered, every inch, by some of the most amazing urban artwork I have ever seen. We get to one part of the factory and "WILL YOU MARRY ME" is on the wall in all these neon colors - he proceeded to prank me. Got down on one knee, said "baby, look up there!". It took me about 30 seconds to realize he was kidding, but before I did I definitely got the full world spinning, butterflies, blood rushing to the face experience. 

You have to laugh at it, and of course give them a good playful punch. 
    We are having our engagement session at that same factory in May, so it's a good memory anyway :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This is why we can't have nice things.
  • Dead thread!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards