Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

Caterer took extra wedding cake

Our wedding went great- everything went as planned and the vendors were great. The only issue we had was the wedding cake. It was made by one of the bridesmaids- the only involvement the caterer had with the cake was cutting it up. Someone claimed they saw the catering staff cut a very large portion of one of the layers (like 80% of the 2nd layer) for themselves and took it in the back. We received a fairly small portion of what was left to take home.

Question is, is it normal for a caterer to do something like this? I'm upset that she didn't even ask, but the person who made the cake is extremely upset. How should I confront the caterer about this?

Re: Caterer took extra wedding cake

• Options
    Our wedding went great- everything went as planned and the vendors were great. The only issue we had was the wedding cake. It was made by one of the bridesmaids- the only involvement the caterer had with the cake was cutting it up. Someone claimed they saw the catering staff cut a very large portion of one of the layers (like 80% of the 2nd layer) for themselves and took it in the back. We received a fairly small portion of what was left to take home. Question is, is it normal for a caterer to do something like this? I'm upset that she didn't even ask, but the person who made the cake is extremely upset. How should I confront the caterer about this?
    Unless you actually saw this for yourself then you really have no recourse because right now it is heresay.  Sure you can ask them what happened to the rest of the cake but other then that there is really nothing you can do.  Are you sure that the rest of your cake wasn't cut up and served to your guests?  Are you sure that this huge chunk wasn't taken into the back to more easily cut up and put on plates for your guests?

But really, at this point you just need to let it go.  You have no proof as to what happened and if you ask it will be the caterers word against the person who claims they saw them do this.

• Options

I would totally talk to the caterer about it. I don't think it matters if you didn't see this happen yourself. It's still perfectly fine to ask them about it. It's not like you're suing them in court and heresay rules apply. You're just contacting the catering manager and saying, "We noticed there wasn't a lot of cake left over for us to take home, and one of my guests noticed your staff taking a large piece of the second tier into the back. Do you know anything about that? Was it served to our guests? I'd hate to think all of our cake wasn't served or given to us to take home."

She'll either apologize, or explain that it was served. At least you brought it up and maybe she'll keep a better eye on her staff at the next wedding and you'll spare the next bride the same annoyance.

• Options
    Meh, its cake.  Most couples I know end up throwing away a massive chunk of their cake a week after the wedding because it is old and they're tired of eating it.  

Weird that they took it without asking? Yeah, kinda.
    Should you care? No
  • Options
    Weird. We got a tier of our cake to freeze and eat next year on our anniversary. My venue gave us instructions and everything along with it. I'd ask.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards