Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Proper wording for widow & widower

I am planning to word my invitations as:

Mr. Victor Joseph Rollinger

and

Mrs. Robin Feenstra Swan

I am using 'Mrs" to designate that I am a widow (so is he)..  Is this appropriate?  Also, he is paying for the entire wedding.  Should I word the invitations as he is hosting; i.e. Mr. Victor Joseph Rollinger requests the honour of your presence at his marriage to Mrs. Robin Feenstra Swan (Feenstra is my maiden name)

Re: Proper wording for widow & widower

• Options
    Actually, and I think @CMGragain can confirm it and I believe it's in Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior, a woman who was addressed as Mrs. John Smith in her husband's lifetime continues to be so addressed in widowhood.

That said, etiquette also holds that Ms. Robin Feenstra Swan is correct as well.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Mrs. John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    and
    Mr. Aristotle Onasis
    Day, date
    time o'clock
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

This is the most traditional wording, but many feminists will point out that it is sexist, since it makes clear that you are a widow, but it does not do the same for your FI.  I suggest this more modern wording:

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Ms. Jaquelyn Bouvier Kennedy
    and
    Mr. Aristotle Onasis

You never directly invite people to your own wedding, even if you are hosting it.  Use this form instead.

Edit:  Mrs. Jaqueluine Bouvier Kennedy would indicate a divorcee.  Ms. Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy is neutral on marital status.  Mrs. John Fitzgerald Kennedy indicates the lady is a widow.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards