Flowers

Flower Cost NJ/NY..am I getting a fair deal?

Hello All, 

I recently went to a florist and was quoted $3,200 for 6 BM, 6 GM, 2 Flower Girls, 2 Ring bearers, 3 Mom corsages, 3 dad boutineers, My bridal bouquet and 2 grandparents as well as 18 Centerpieces I am doing half low and other half tall for the centerpieces. Nothing for the church since cathedral not needed. 

Opinions? Good Deal? 

Re: Flower Cost NJ/NY..am I getting a fair deal?

• lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014
    How much are your centerpieces? With out knowing individual prices and the type of flowers you picked and without doing the math, it sounds okay to me, but not a fabulous deal. Average.

I'm in CT, near the NY border. Prices are generally pretty high here. I just received a quote of $1700 (plus tax) for a bridal bouquet, a groom boutonniere, 3 bridesmaids bouquets, 3 groomsmen bouts, corsages for 2 moms and two grandmas, bout for 2 dads and one grandpa, a chuppah with flowers, 10 low centerpieces, some cake flowers, 6 little bouquets for the chairs by the aisle, and some flowers for the card table and the bathroom. Now, I went over the flowers I wanted, and for the most part they were purposefully inexpensive choices (baby's breath, stock, wax flower, some hydrangea.) For the bridal bouqet, I also specified I wanted in season flowers and I was more tied to a "look" and color palette, not individual types of flowers-- I want to avoid out of season and expensive flowers.

BUT, you are getting 8 more centerpieces than I am, all of which would be "tall" centerpieces, as well as 3 more bridesmaid bouquets and flower girls/ ring bearer stuff. I'm sure the tall ones cost more, and maybe you want more expensive flowers. So... basically, the price doesn't sound wrong or obscene, but we can't make too much of a judgement without knowing details.
  • Wow yours does seem to be a good deal! I am in north NJ so things are pricey up here since just 30mins outside of NYC. I went with yelp florists with no more than $$ so hoping to look at another. The short centerpieces came to $900 for 9 of them (short ones, bird cages to keep) and $1,100 for 9 tall ones. The bridesmaids are $80each i am doing peonies, roses in blush and ivory color scheme my wedding is in July so not sure if in season of not. 
  • lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, I grew up in Fairfield County, CT which is very pricey and near NYC, so I know what you're talking about. I chose a florist from upper Fairfield County, in a much less expensive town. Remember, I asked for purposefully inexpensive flowers for the bulk of my order. My centerpieces (low, stock, baby's breath, hydrangea) were $55 each, so $550. $900 for 9 still seems like a lot to me though, even though you're asking for more expensive flowers. Have you gotten prices from other florists? I would do that before signing on the dotted line. And if you want those flowers no matter if they're in season or not... then you just won't have as much wiggle room. So, if it's in the budget, and most florists are charging you at that rate, then go for it.
  • I live in MD so not as expensive as the NY/NJ area but pretty close.  Your price sounds about right.  I am guessing that also includes delivery as well?

The reason why your low arrangements are a bit on the high side is probably because the birdcage container is more then a typical glass vase.  Also, peonies are not in season in July (they are only in season for about a month, May into early June) so that means that they are costing a good deal more then they typically would if they were in season.

Just be aware that peonies not in season will not be as large or full or as pretty as the one's when they are in season.

• Thank you for your advice! it was helpful, I did not know which flowers were in season as the florist did not even make me aware of that. I will see if I can get cost down with other flowers. 
  • @Futuremrsteixeira - I would look into garden roses to replace the peonies.  They give you the same look and are typically readily available unlike peonies.

• I recently just got my first quote and I am in Portland, OR. It was much higher than I anticipated, and my requests are similar to yours. 4 BM, 4 GM, 3 corsages and 3 Dad bouts. Grooms bout and my bouquet. Also have 18 centerpieces, half high and half low. Also included aisle petals, and a few tiny arrangements for 6 cocktail hour bistro style tables. I was quoted $4,300 and I tried to stick with flowers in season. My wedding is in August. I think this quote was pretty high and I'm going to shop around for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards