Wedding Etiquette Forum

"Creative Black Tie"...?

...Is this a thing now?? I just got a wedding invitation that states on the reception card that the dress code is "Creative Black Tie". What does that even mean? So far, all Google has taught me is that men can wear colorful and nontraditional suits/ties (so okay, completely defeating the point of BLACK tie). But what in the wide world of sports should I wear?

Should I just be thankful for this free pass to not wear a gown? Because while I'm sure this wedding will be very fancy and well hosted, I also know it's not really going to qualify as a black tie event. There will be a buffet, DJ, and bar is beer & wine only. I'm not judging those things at all, just saying I don't think it's actually black tie appropriate. Then again, I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. Help.

Re: "Creative Black Tie"...?

• This is not a thing. All it shows is that these people don't know anything about etiquette.

I would just wear a nice cocktail dress.
    *********************************************************************************

• Why do I feel like the bridesmaid dresses from My Best Friend's Wedding would be appropriate?
  • umm.... so I googled this because I've never heard of it and here's what I found: clicky

"Creative Black Tie"

Hosts

This designation is defined by Emily Post’s Etiquette as a “tuxedo combined with trendy or whimsical items” (usually related to the party’s theme) which most experts suggest be limited to the shirt, tie or accessories.  GQ’s Style Guy describes it as “Dressing like the fashion victims you see on the Oscars.  Tuxedos with black shirts.  Tuxedos with no ties.  Tuxedos with bolo ties.” 

However, the details are largely irrelevant because the code should be avoided by hosts out of consideration for their guests.  As Russell Smith points out, “If the words ‘black-tie optional’ on an invitation hit a panic button for most men, the words ‘creative black tie’ are even worse.  Who would want to go to a party, unless it’s a fancy dress ball, to be judged by his costume?”  

It appears that party planners are getting the message judging by a 2008 Wall Street Journal article titled “Uncreative Black Tie Please” which reported on a backlash brewing against “goofy” dress codes.  It quotes a spokeswoman for the Emily Post Institute as saying that “The range of options can often be more frustrating rather than helpful for the invited” and that good manners require a host to make guests feel comfortable, not insecure.  A Fort Lauderdale event planner who learned her lesson the hard way tells the newspaper “I would rather throw a party and receive 25 calls after, saying ‘What a great party that was,’ than [get] 25 calls beforehand asking, ‘What does this mean?’”

The moral of the story: leave the Black Tie code to its intended purpose of providing clarity, uniformity and sophistication.

Guests

Guests should be equally leery of this unfortunate by-product of 1980s glitterati.  The expert consensus is that only those men who are well versed in sartorial style and the fundamentals of proper black tie can ascertain what type of ensemble successfully qualifies for this category.  In the hands of the uneducated it can all too easily be used to degrade the venerable dinner jacket into a sophomoric gimmick.  As Smith so succinctly puts it, “There is nothing more pathetic than a failed flamboyant.”  Black-tie aficionados should instead heed the advice of A Gentleman Gets Dressed Up which reminds us that when confronted with such “clever” dress codes as Creative Black Tie, “a gentleman has every right to dress as traditionally as he chooses.”

So basically wear a cocktail dress. 
  • Ugh, just dress like you would for any other wedding. 

• umm.... so I googled this because I've never heard of it and here's what I found: clicky

"Creative Black Tie"

Hosts

This designation is defined by Emily Post’s Etiquette as a “tuxedo combined with trendy or whimsical items” (usually related to the party’s theme) which most experts suggest be limited to the shirt, tie or accessories.  GQ’s Style Guy describes it as “Dressing like the fashion victims you see on the Oscars.  Tuxedos with black shirts.  Tuxedos with no ties.  Tuxedos with bolo ties.” 

However, the details are largely irrelevant because the code should be avoided by hosts out of consideration for their guests.  As Russell Smith points out, “If the words ‘black-tie optional’ on an invitation hit a panic button for most men, the words ‘creative black tie’ are even worse.  Who would want to go to a party, unless it’s a fancy dress ball, to be judged by his costume?”  

It appears that party planners are getting the message judging by a 2008 Wall Street Journal article titled “Uncreative Black Tie Please” which reported on a backlash brewing against “goofy” dress codes.  It quotes a spokeswoman for the Emily Post Institute as saying that “The range of options can often be more frustrating rather than helpful for the invited” and that good manners require a host to make guests feel comfortable, not insecure.  A Fort Lauderdale event planner who learned her lesson the hard way tells the newspaper “I would rather throw a party and receive 25 calls after, saying ‘What a great party that was,’ than [get] 25 calls beforehand asking, ‘What does this mean?’”

The moral of the story: leave the Black Tie code to its intended purpose of providing clarity, uniformity and sophistication.

Guests

Guests should be equally leery of this unfortunate by-product of 1980s glitterati.  The expert consensus is that only those men who are well versed in sartorial style and the fundamentals of proper black tie can ascertain what type of ensemble successfully qualifies for this category.  In the hands of the uneducated it can all too easily be used to degrade the venerable dinner jacket into a sophomoric gimmick.  As Smith so succinctly puts it, “There is nothing more pathetic than a failed flamboyant.”  Black-tie aficionados should instead heed the advice of A Gentleman Gets Dressed Up which reminds us that when confronted with such “clever” dress codes as Creative Black Tie, “a gentleman has every right to dress as traditionally as he chooses.”

So basically wear a cocktail dress. 

Since you're supposed to wear something trendy and whimsical... Do you show up in a burlap dress? ;)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm thinking meat dress. 

• When I hear "1980s glitterati" all I can think of is Patrick Bateman from American Psycho. I somehow doubt he'd be an appropriate Plus One.
  • How did I NOT think "meatdress" immediately??

I really need to do some soul searching if I couldn't come up with that one.

• I'm so mad that I just said to wear a cocktail dress after my awesome research.  I take back my comment and think you should wear this:
  • I'm thinking meat dress. 

That would work.. unless the buffet runs out of food. In that case, you'd better have an exit plan!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I think you should wear a black tie in a funny shape. That's being creative, right?
  • edited June 2015
  • I would dress normal. I expect 90% of the other guests will be equally baffled by this ridiculous request. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards