Wedding Reception Forum

Sig Drink Opinions

This had me thinking while reading the other post on the Etiquette board. A signature drink/welcome drink is included in the price of our reception, and my Fi and I chose a Mint Julep. I am a whiskey fan and he is not, but he loved this drink as it kind of reminded him of a mojito. During our menu tasting, they will also pour us the Mint Julep so we can make it to our liking.

How do you feel about this, and welcome drinks/sig drinks in general? I know everyone will have their favorite liquor, but as far as for the masses, in your opinion what would make a better received drink over one not as much?

imageimage

Re: Sig Drink Opinions

• I think signature drinks can be really fun, but it's nice if you have two or three instead of just one so that you don't end up wasting the money on a drink that conceivably will be disliked by a large portion of your guests.  You know your crowd.  Will this drink be enjoyed by your guests?

At the weddings I've been to, usually the popular drinks are vodka-based (some sort of juice/vodka martini combo), sangria, or soda mixed with some sort of alcohol.  They seem to be the safest options.  But, this is your signature drink.  If you really like the mint julep, do it.  As long as there are other hosted drinks for guests to choose from, people should be happy.

One thing to think about--make sure the drink is simple enough that the bartenders can make them quickly, or have batches of the drink already premade.  The last thing you want is to have your guests rush the bar all wanting to try the signature drink, which takes the bartenders forever to make (muddling, blending, etc.).  It's not fun waiting 20-30 minutes in a line just to get a drink when you first get to the reception.
  • Love signature drinks because it get me to try something I wouldn't have ordered.  If it's bad, I just go back and get something I know I like, a glass of wine or a vodka tonic.  

An orchard julep was one of my drinks at my Kentucky horse farm wedding.  Mint juleps can be really strong.  The bar service added a bit of orchard apricot liqueur to it.  It made it a lot more mellow.  And it didn't taste like apricot, just smoother.  See if you can try a julep, and a julep with some apricot liqueur.  And consider not having these as super sized.  Either lots of crushed ice or a reasonable sized glass since juleps really don't have mixer in them, so they'll hit hard.

Whatever you do, just don't make cheesy name(s) for any drink(s) you have.  Call it a mint julep, orchard julep, etc.  That lets people know what it is and cuts down on the ad nauseam aspect of wedding cutsey-gone-wrong.  It pains me to read and say "I'd like a JimmyLovesJaneSunshine" when I walk up to the bar.  
  • It's a nice way to have liquor without having a full bar, especially if you choose something you actually like instead of making up something to match your wedding colors or whatever. We had dark 'n' stormys and gin and tonics.
  • I like signature drinks. 
  • Mint juleps are very hit or miss.  People who like them love them, and people who don't like them hate them. I wouldn't do it unless you know a large number of your guests like them.

That said, a mint julep conjures up images of Kentucky Derby and horse farms to me.  (Probably because I'm from Kentucky). I wouldn't serve them unless your wedding is somehow tied to Kentucky or horses or at least the south. They'd seem really out of place in a Midwestern ballroom or a Northeastern hotel.
  • LOVE signature drinks.  Ours was included in the price of our open bar.  I wish they would have been served when people entered the ceremony, but this was an extra cost.  They were served on trays as people entered the reception space for cocktail hour and were a big hit.
  • I the signature drink should be whatever you want.  I've never had a mint julep, but i'd probably try one if it was handed to me at the door!  
  • I think signature drinks are fun and a nice way to add a personal touch to a wedding, even when there is an open bar
  • Thanks all. We're having an open bar but the Mint Julep will be handed out on trays by servers during cocktail hour, just for the first 15 min or so. If people like them, they can order more at the bar.

atlastmrsg. We like ours with the simple syrup and soda added (I know some bartenders don't use soda) so when we try them at the tasting we can change if necessary.

@mynameisnot My mother's side of the family is very small and comes from Kentucky, my grandparents on my mothers side passed a few years ago and felt like this would be appropriate. I picked up my grandfather's love of all things bourbon, and figured this would be the easiest drink so to speak for nonwhiskey lovers.

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards