Honeymoon Discussions

Budget

What is your honeymoon budget and where are you going?

Re: Budget

• You'll find a wide range of budgets on here, ranging from under $1K to over $20K. You'll also find a range of destinations.

I have been married twice. I didn't have a set budget per se for either HM, but I went to French Polynesia the first time and Australia the second time. I spent ~$20K on the first honeymoon and over $20K on the second. These destinations can be done for much less and for much more.

• We spent $15k on 10 days in Hawaii.
  • We are doing 2 weeks in Hawaii but trying to keep costs down by doing the whole resort thing at the very beginning and very end of the Honeymoon.  We are also doing some off the beaten path stuff in between like hiking/camping Mauna Kea during the new moon and using VRBO.com.  

Fortunately, we have racked up tons of points through credit cards and we also have AAA which will keep the costs down a bit.  

Soooo hoping to keep it under 10k?  Hopefully much less, though.
  • We spent about $2,500 for a 7 night cruise plus 2 nights in San Juan prior to the cruise.  We had free airfare or else it would have been about $3,400.
  • We spent close to 20k for almost 2 weeks in Moorea and Bora Bora. 
  • We're doing Bora Bora for 11 nights. Our flights are free (thanks to frequent flier miles), but we're spending $12k on accommodations alone. I'm estimating our trip will be over $15k by the time we factor in food/activities/etc.
  • We spent $10K on 2 weeks in Sicily, Venice, and a Mediterranean cruise.
  • We didn't have a set budget, but we spent about $2500 for five nights in the Adirondacks and Montreal.
  • We knew what we were comfortable spending and stayed around that. We are spending about $5500 (includes airfare) for 6 nights at Secrets Maroma.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think we spent around $8k total for 10 days in Italy. Flights were a little over $2000. We rented an apartment for 10 days for $1000. And the rest we spent on eating and shopping and traveling within Italy. 
  • We're doing Peru (Inca Trail/Machu Picchu) and one other country yet to be decided (Argentina or Uruguay, probably)- for two weeks. I'm expecting it to ultimately cost in the $6000 - $7000 range depending on how hardcore we go with the backpacking. But we had the vacation planned before the engagement, so I don't know if we can truthfully call it a honeymoon.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had budgeted about $4500 and ended up spending about 3k on a 7 day western Caribbean cruise and a week in Orlando, FL. The money we saved on the honeymoon paid for another cruise next year!
  • We went to Thailand for 12 days and spent 15k. Most of that was on airfare. Once we got there, everything was pretty inexpensive.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We are going to South Africa. 7 nights in Cape Town and 2 nights on a safari. For airfare (including 1 intra-country flight), airbnb Cape Town rental, and the safari lodge, we are spending about 7500. The exchange rate seems to be pretty good though, so I am thinking we won't spend so much on dining and activities. 
  • We're budgeting about $4,500 for a two week road trip - starting in Chicago, heading south and spending a few days in the Great Smoky Mountains then going to FL for a few days and ending at a resort on the beach in the Keys for several days. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • edited November 2014
    OK, well I'm going to be on the total different spectrum of things. We had less then $1000. For our honeymoon, we went to Niagara Falls for 3 nights (it's about 3 1/2 hours away from where we live) and stayed on the Canadian side and thanks to Groupon got a really nice room overlooking the falls within walking distance to almost everything we wanted to do.  It would have been great to have done something bigger, but we didn't have the budget for it, but we still enjoyed getting away for a few days & being able to relax.
  • Fi and I are debating between two options dog sledding in northern MN or resort in FL keys. Both put us at about $2500 to $3000. I'm leaning towards the keys though :) Much warmer!
  • We spent ~$16k on a week in Rome. most of which went towards round trip in business class and a 5 star hotel.  We definitely could have spent less but it was a once in a lifetime trip.
  • With Fi Hilton points and my employee discount, hoping to stay around $4-$5k going across the country to Hawaii (BI).

imageimage

• We haven't finalized our plans yet, but we're going to Asia for three to four weeks. We're torn between Vietnam and Cambodia or the Philippines. We spent three weeks in Thailand a few years ago and loved it.

My mom generously offered to pay for our plane tickets using her credit card points and she's giving us $3000 towards expenses. It probably won't cost us much more than that. AMAZING!

(Other than that, we're paying for the wedding ourselves.)
  • We paid about $12000 for 3 weeks on a cruise and travel.  We did Italy, Croatia, Greece, Israel, Egypt and Turkey.  We also got a huge discount on our cruise cos it was on sale.  

I also agree with what CMGr said.  We're older and couldn't have afforded a trip like this when we were younger.  Your HM will be awesome cos it will be your HM and you'll be so excited to be married.  

• We budgeted about $5k. After we booked the flights, transport and resort, it came down to a little over $4500 for 5 nights in Antigua.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We spent about $4100 total on our 9 day trip to Ireland. Rented a car and drove all around the country and saw a ton of stuff. We're not shoppers, so I think we spent under $20 on non-food, non-sightseeing things. 

I've traveled before a bunch, but always on the suuuuper cheap side. It was really nice to be able to eat 3 meals a day and not stay in hostels this time! We got back on October 28th and we're paying the last trip cost off a credit card on friday. Yay!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards