October 2014 Weddings

The name change game

I just find if funny how every credit card/etc. I contact about changing has completely different standards, all from a nice "congrats!  we're sending you a new card" to you have to send us XYZ before we will change your name.  Anyone else experience this?

Re: The name change game

• Yep! The bank just took my word for it, but sprint wants the marriage certificate brought into a store before I can change it on my account.  
  • We just got back from our honeymoon, which means its time for me to start to name-changing process. And the best part - I dont even know where to start!
  • My employer won't change my name until they see it on my new social security card. So I'm waiting to visit the SS office before proceeding with anything else (credit cards banks, etc.)

• Here's what I've done so far:

1. After getting my marriage license, I got my driver's license and social security changed.  The DL was instant gratification, even gave me a new picture instead of just carrying around some stupid additional paper showing my new name with my old license.  As for the  social security card I have to wait to get it in the mail.  

2. With my new DL I was able to go to the bank and change it on my accounts - plus they needed my copy of the marriage license.  (now i need to order new checks)

3. Then I sat down online and went to all of the credit cards, utilities, and loan websites to determine what documentation they would need, and addresses to send it all to.  As I said above, I've encountered GREAT variation in what each place needs.  Some places have said "congrats, we're sending you a card with your new name". For those that want documentation, it seems like most places want either the DL or the social security card, not both, and/or most want a copy of the marriage license.  

4.  Next I have to change it at work, which I was told by a co-worker that they want to see a copy of my new DL and marriage license, so I was going to submit that next time I'm back in the office.  
    5.  I'm not in a hurry but I need to send off for name changes on my car registration as well as for my state professional license.

For one thing, I realized sometimes you want to change one thing before the other - for instance, I get a discount for my Verizon phone service through work, so I need to change my name at work so that when I change my Verizon stuff it will be easier to link to  my employee status at my work.

@LaPeanut1018 - many places are just as accepting of your new driver's license as they are your social security card, so you don't necessarily have to put it on hold if you want to start with the other stuff.   
  • I'll post my story here later of how much/little I've gotten finished:

For Employer Insurance - Many companies you MUST switch over within 30 days of your ceremony; if you do not you have to wait until an open enrollment period.

My H and I are just going to combine at Open Enrollment, but I thought I'd mention it for others who do not have it at the top of their list.

Anniversary
  • So far - here's been my name change story:

I took Friday off to get my name, change, I got all ready and was out the door to make it to the SSA office by 9AM (when the opened), I was just about to pull in their driveway when I realized I only grabbed a COPY of the marriage license/certificate.  So I went home to grab it (that SSA office is about 30 minutes away with no good way to get there, lots of side streets and a bad neighborhood).  So When I got my license, I tried putting in a different Zip code and I found a different SSA office that was much easier for me to get to - so I went there.  I arrived around 9:45 and was done around 10:10 - before my number was called there was another lady there who was complaining she got there right at 9:05 and hadn't gotten called back yet, so I got a little worried.

After that, I went to get my driver's license changed.  They were not able to re-do my vision correction on my driver's license, only my name change.  I was there for like 30 minutes.

After that I saw the bank that my HSA is at and I figured, I'll just stop in and get that switched over.  Nope, they couldn't do it because the HSA is through my employer, so I have to go through the website.  There was no way for them to do it in the office.

I then went to another bank that I have an account with from my childhood - so I updated my name and my address (as my mom was tired of getting the yearly statement). 

I went to the next bank - pretty easy, but my H and I had a joint account, so I had to send in some paperwork that he had to sign off on.

Last bank was easy as well.

I started my day at 8:30 (which turned out to be 9:45), and didn't get back to my house until around 2:30.  When I got home, I ran a credit report on myself, but I have yet to call my credit card companies to change my name, I've been exhausted from the wedding adventures and then from work stuff.

I put in my name change for my work on Thursday.  Today I have an email from them saying they need my new SS card.  They don't make things easy!!  I told them I have the receipt of change and won't have my new SS Card for about 2 weeks.

Anniversary
  • @Pepperally In Georgia I can't change my name on my DL until I have a new Social Security card so everything pretty much is on hold until that's done. We're able to do other things like insurance and adding each other to our bank accounts so I'm honestly good. I'm not in any huge hurry to rush through the SS card process.

• Ahhhh UTILITIES... another thing I forgot. We seriously need to write up a master list of things to change. I thought I was done!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Just an update that I applied for my new social security card last Thursday and I got it today...pretty quick!  Quite a contrast to the two hours I sat in their waiting room!!!!
  • I took off work today to try and get a lot done. I got to the SS office 5 minutes after they opened, but still waited for 40 minutes. Then I went to the DMV about 25 minutes away, to find out that they only do new ID photos on Mondays, and nothing else. But one good thing I discovered today is that I don't need to get new checks. They told me at the bank that I can just cross off my maiden name, and write my new one! Which is awesome, because new checks cost money, and I have a ton of old ones. So while I was at the bank, they processed my name change with only my duplicate certificate in hand, and they sent out for new debit cards. Then, I made one phone call to change my name on one of my credit cards. And then I lost interest and went food shopping and got my oil changed. At least I was still productive! I think I'm just going to do it little by little. It's just so not fun. Lol. 
  • I changed my Visa today (name and address) and it was so easy! AmEx, however, won't allow me to transfer my points (DH added me to his AmEx and we don't need 2 accounts!), so time for some e-shopping!
  • I'm just wondering if I need to order multiple copies of my marriage license. I'm not sure which places will need a copy to keep, and which just need to see it. I don't want to give away my only copy!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • PepperallyPepperally member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    Thus far they either want to view my official license and they will often copy it and give it back to me. Most others want a copy, I don't think it needs to be an official copy, just a photocopy of the one you have. At least that's what I plan to send them. Some places I've faxed it to.
  • Today I called to change my name on my health insurance, and one department store credit card, and neither of them asked for anything! They just said I'd get new cards in 7-10 business days. I was surprised. 
  • I still have SO many places to go change my name.  I feel like I've gotten 4 done (it's been more than 4, but the list of 'new last name' vs 'old last name' is pretty short).

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards