Favors

Is this AW-ing? (related to donation favor)

peachy13peachy13 in my cubicle, doing very important work
1000 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary First Answer
Before lurking on TK, I was all about a donation favor until I learned that it comes off as AW-ing (especially using "in your honor" somewhere on the favor). This, among other things, is one of the great things I learned on TK that makes me very happy that I came here to lurk and ask questions.

Anyway, for favors I'm going with an edible, but my FI and I still want to make a donation to the org that we had in mind (ASPCA) mostly in honor of not our guests, but our rescue pup who we love so much. I wouldn't shove anything in our guests' faces regarding our donation (putting a print-out on their place settings, etc.), but I was thinking about maybe framing a picture of our dog along with other photos we'll have around the venue (of us, close ones we've lost, etc.), along with maybe a little blurb letting our guests know about our dog's story with a little tiny piece mentioning we donated to the org in her honor.

Or is that just tacky?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Is this AW-ing? (related to donation favor)

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 Ravens & Bohs & Crabs & O's
    10000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its 25 Answers
    I wouldn't do that.  I think it is great that you want to donate to the ASPCA but do you really need to let others know, especially at your wedding, that you made such a donation?  You donate because you want to, not to show off to your friends, KWIM?

AddieCakedoeydofwtx5815
  • peachy13peachy13 in my cubicle, doing very important work
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary First Answer
    Thanks both.. as I was asking the question I was thinking to myself that this isn't something FI and I would ever do...  we'll likely just quietly make the donation and have it not be wedding-related at all.

esstee33ohannabelle
  • AddieCakeAddieCake Beyond the Wall
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 25 Answers
    Yeah, there is no reason to tell your wedding guests you are donating.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
    doeydo
  • I agree with other, just make the donation & if you want to share the news, post it on facebook.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 Houston
    10000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its 25 Answers
    edited November 2014
    Just make the donation-that's great.

But, your wedding is not an awareness-raiser or fundraiser for any cause.  Your need to tell others about it, especially your wedding guests, turns them into a captive audience.  That's what makes it appear AWish-there is no graceful way for them to avoid hearing about it. 

It can also make them feel pressured into donating or backing a cause that they don't support.

hellohkb
  • Dumb question - what is "AW?"

Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Jen4948Jen4948 Houston
    10000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its 25 Answers
    edited December 2014
    Attention whore
  • I didn't know that either
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards