Outdoor Weddings

Best time of year for an outdoor wedding like this?

Obviously a backup plan in case of rain will be made, but ideally I'm looking to have a wedding and reception that are completely outdoors, using a campsite as a venue, which has a gorgeous stone amphitheater for the ceremony, and a big bonfire pit.  I want to have the bonfire going during the reception, which I'd like to plan to start around sunset (So the timing of that would vary based on the date I choose) Clearly I have more planning to do, but that's the general idea.  The wedding would be in Connecticut.

So what's the best time of year for that?  I'm worried about doing mid-summer because I don't do well in too much heat, but I've been thinking that maybe if I fiddle around with start times (Maybe have the ceremony start at sunset instead of the reception?) I can plan it late enough that heat won't be so much of an issue.  I'm a bit hesitant to rely on it cooling off when it gets dark though, because there were plenty of nights this summer where I still needed the AC going at 1 am because it was so hot. Of course I also have to think about ways to deal with bugs if it's during the summer.

I've also been thinking about late september/ early October, because for the last few years, that has been really nice in terms of temperature- I didn't start wearing a jacket outside until late October this year, plus there are no bugs to worry about.  But I'm worried that might end up being too cold when it starts getting dark.  

Re: Best time of year for an outdoor wedding like this?

• I would go with mid to late September. Early September it's still pretty warm and I definitely had the AC on at night. 
  • I'm not all that familiar w/ that area but here's some info that might help:

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/connecticut/united-states/3176

I would look into times of year when mosquitos aren't bad. That is a total buzz kill.

Also, when we planned our wedding, we picked a time when the moon rise was going to be happening as the reception ended. I realize now that's kind of crazy over-planning, but it's a fun memory. You might try to work something like that out if there's something like that you care about.
    *********************************************************************************

• June or August 15-September 15. I grew up in that area, and every year in mid-August, the weather turns from ghastly humidity to pleasant warmth. Once you get further into September, your risk of rain increases and you get chillier nights. We had an all-outdoor wedding on Aug. 24, starting at 5 pm, and it was perfect.
  • Check out weatherunderground (clicky). We had our entire wedding outdoors this past weekend, and the site was super helpful as to getting an idea for trends. I'm ashamed to say I may have looked at the weather on our date for over the last 20 years.
  • Good point about the mosquitoes. I'd also take into consideration the bees. 
    emmyg65 said:
    June or August 15-September 15. I grew up in that area, and every year in mid-August, the weather turns from ghastly humidity to pleasant warmth. Once you get further into September, your risk of rain increases and you get chillier nights. We had an all-outdoor wedding on Aug. 24, starting at 5 pm, and it was perfect.
    The only reason I think you should skip August all together is because 

The bees in the late summer months, especially August, are fucking crazy. We went to a few outdoor events in August and I was attacked by bees every time. Even when we took our engagement photos at the beginning of September, they were bad. 
  • I'm voting for Mid May - early June or after Labor Day
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards