Chit Chat
Options

Whatcha making for dinner?

sarawifenowsarawifenow member
First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
edited November 2014 in Chit Chat

Because I am obsessed with y'all and like to know what you are eating...

It is faaaarreeeezing today! I am making homemade chicken noodle soup. I put a whole chicken in the crockpot this morning with some carrots, celery, onions, and spices and covered it in chicken broth. I'll shred the chicken when I get home and add some grandma noodles. Voila! It is H's BF's bday today (he just moved from out of state), so I will be having him over for dinner and booze.

You're turn!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Whatcha making for dinner?

• Options
    We have sirloin steaks in the fridge that we are gonna grill up tonight. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    That gif is cracking me up. 

I picked some of this up yesterday at Fairway. I looooooooooove it and it's so good. 

So I'm grilling up some chicken, and cooking brown rice pennes and mixing it all together. I'll maybe make some sweet potatoes too. 
  • Options
    Making some salsa chicken in the crock pot tonight! I like to make it super spicy with hot salsa, extra chili powder and cayenne pepper, then top it with shredded cheddar, sliced avocado and sour cream. It's one of FI's favorite things that I make and he won't be home until super late tonight (he gets off work at 8:30 and then has to drive 2 hours to my place), so I figured it would be nice to have it waiting for him. 
  • Options
    Copycat Cracker Barrel grilled chicken tenderloins, cheesy potatoes, and spicy green beans.
  • Options
    I made a turkey on Sunday so last night I made the biggest batch of turkey and noodle soup in the world!!!! This way all of our food is gone by the weekend and we won't need to go grocery shopping before the wedding/before we get WEDDING FOOD LEFTOVERS!! 

Right now I am baking some pumpkin muffins. I totally forgot the baking soda in the first batch…whoops. Oh well, they still taste fine haha

• Options
    loro929loro929 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2014

It is faaaarreeeezing today! I am making homemade chicken noodle soup. I put a whole chicken in the crockpot this morning with some carrots, celery, onions, and spices and covered it in chicken broth. I'll shred the chicken when I get home and add some grandma noodles. Voila! It is H's BF's bday today (he just moved from out of state), so I will be having him over for dinner and booze.

You're turn!

This sounds delicious. I didn't know what I was going to make but I think you inspired me. Right now, I am sitting at my desk staring out the window at the freezing pouring rain outside and dreaming of being in cosy pyjamas melting away with a steaming bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Haha, it's the overly attached girlfriend from Youtube! That's so ambitious making soup from scratch, I'm impressed.

Last night I made a Dijon-maple glazed salmon, kale salad and roasted potatoes, yummm. Tonight I will be out and about till late so I may just grab a quinoa burger topped with avocado and sprouts from my favourite vegetarian restaurant, soo good! Now that I've typed it out, that's definitely what I'm gonna get.  

Formerly martha1818

• Options

@birdybride2014 you are so close!!

We're having steak and potatoes for dinner - yukon gold for me and sweet potatoes for him. Nothing fancy but it'll be good.

• Options
    Chicken sausages stuffed with Gruyere and garlic (not homemade by any means), pretzel rolls because DH loves them, probably some broccoli or maybe green beans.  Nothing super adventurous but definitely quick since traffic has taken a nose-dive lately and my commute has sucked.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I'm making tagliatelle with tuna and mushrooms in rosee sauce. With a good drizzle of olive oil, grated garlic and parmesan on top.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh. I don't know. I have an acorn squash that needs to be cooked... I don't know what to make with it. My sister has been staying with us til she finds a place (got a new job, sold her house) and it's thrown me off my dinner game.

• Options

@lolo883--Do you have an immersion blender?

Roast the acorn squash with some butternut squash and sweet potatoes. Then throw it all in a heavy pot and add heavy cream and chicken broth then blend it all until it is creamy. Top with toasted pine nuts and another splash of cream. I like to roast bone in, skin on chicken breasts while I am blending everything and some times top it with shredded chicken or just have it on the side.

• Options
    ^^ That sounds amazing...I want to make soup now.

But we're going to have sauteed chicken breasts in garlic, broccoli, and quinoa.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hurray for leftover spaghetti! No cooking, just reheating.
    Tomorrow is my youngest's birthday, so cake baking today.

In our house, you get to choose whatever you want for your birthday dinner. So I ask what he wants. Get this. Cinghiale ragu and pappardelle. 
    WTF, Moosey. Really?
    The pappardelle part is easy enough. I can make pasta with my eyes closed.
    The cinghiale....I don't have a frikking clue. Where the hell do I get wild boar? They must sell it, someplace. 
    I wonder if I could use a beef chuck roast and fool him. Probably not. He's the kind of kid that at ten, looked at me and said, "I think Grandma used frozen crab in the manicotti," and was right. I handed him a piece of cheap mozzarella when he was seven, (trying to save money) and he took a bite, handed it back, and said, "What was that?"
    Damn it, Moose. 
    Has anybody ever cooked wild boar? Where do you find this? And don't say in the woods. There are enough smartasses in my life.
    Whole Foods? Or - I know this place ships but it's quite expensive. http://www.dartagnan.com/meat-and-game/Wild_Boar,default,sc.html 

• Options

Roast the acorn squash with some butternut squash and sweet potatoes. Then throw it all in a heavy pot and add heavy cream and chicken broth then blend it all until it is creamy. Top with toasted pine nuts and another splash of cream. I like to roast bone in, skin on chicken breasts while I am blending everything and some times top it with shredded chicken or just have it on the side.

I do, and that does sound good. But I don't get home until 6 and we like to eat around 6:30 before we both get hangry. That would be a good one to do after I roast a crock pot chicken so I have some meat and stock ready to go.

• Options

I do, and that does sound good. But I don't get home until 6 and we like to eat around 6:30 before we both get hangry. That would be a good one to do after I roast a crock pot chicken so I have some meat and stock ready to go.

Definitely. It is actually really quick (like and hour, hour and a half).

You could always just microwave it tonight and top it with brown sugar and butter. =)

• Options
    @ohannabelle sounds like your youngest has good taste in food :D Ragu' di cinghiale is one of my favorite dishes. It is not so challenging to prepare, in fact, the steps more or less are the same  as a regular beef/pork ragu' - just subsituting the beef/pork for wild boar.

Here are two recipes that are good and can be modified quite simply.

In regards to finding wild boar, I know that if I ask my butcher ahead of time, he can get me a piece of it. Perhaps you have a speciality meat shop in your area? But, if you have never worked with it before - be prepared - it has quite the interesting aroma :P

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Our offices are closed for Remembrance Day, so I have time to make something interesting (good because FI has been living on, like, spaghetti and meatballs and fish tacos for the past few days.) I have some 00 flour so I think I'll make pizza crust and make him a pizza with white sauce, roasted garlic, shrimp, basil, and roasted red peppers, finished with some balsamic glaze. If it's not still -20 outside I'll even do it on the grill.

I bought some giant scallops the other day, though, so I might make him a salad and some bacon-wrapped scallops instead and clean out our front closet with the extra time.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

In our house, you get to choose whatever you want for your birthday dinner. So I ask what he wants. Get this. Cinghiale ragu and pappardelle. 
    WTF, Moosey. Really?
    The pappardelle part is easy enough. I can make pasta with my eyes closed.
    The cinghiale....I don't have a frikking clue. Where the hell do I get wild boar? They must sell it, someplace. 
    I wonder if I could use a beef chuck roast and fool him. Probably not. He's the kind of kid that at ten, looked at me and said, "I think Grandma used frozen crab in the manicotti," and was right. I handed him a piece of cheap mozzarella when he was seven, (trying to save money) and he took a bite, handed it back, and said, "What was that?"
    Damn it, Moose. 
    Has anybody ever cooked wild boar? Where do you find this? And don't say in the woods. There are enough smartasses in my life.
    Pikes place?!?!? @ohannabelle
    Anniversary
  • Options

In our house, you get to choose whatever you want for your birthday dinner. So I ask what he wants. Get this. Cinghiale ragu and pappardelle
    WTF, Moosey. Really?

I don't know a single one of these words.

• Options
    Mini BBQ turkey meatloaf cups (I add shredded zucchini and chopped bell peppers for added veggies), roasted red potatoes and garlic string beans!
  • Options
    It's taco Tuesday in our house! (But with ground chicken and iceburg lettuce wraps for wedding diet purposes). Still good!

• Options
    peachy13 said:
    It's taco Tuesday in our house! (But with ground chicken and iceburg lettuce wraps for wedding diet purposes). Still good!
    @lolo883- make this!! I made it last week and I'm craving it again. Once you roast the squash, it's pretty fast to cook the stuffing.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sunny-anderson/sunnys-italian-sausage-stuffed-acorn-squash.html

It's Taco (salad) Tuesday in our house! DH went to the store this morning and bought ground turkey, tomatoes, cute little taco bowls, guacamole, and tomatoes. Can't wait!
    imageimage">
  • Options
    peachy13 said:
    @lolo883- make this!! I made it last week and I'm craving it again. Once you roast the squash, it's pretty fast to cook the stuffing.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sunny-anderson/sunnys-italian-sausage-stuffed-acorn-squash.html

It's Taco (salad) Tuesday in our house! DH went to the store this morning and bought ground turkey, tomatoes, cute little taco bowls, guacamole, and tomatoes. Can't wait!
    Oohhhh... I wonder if DH would eat that if I got chicken sausage.

• Options
    Ugh. I don't know. I have an acorn squash that needs to be cooked... I don't know what to make with it. My sister has been staying with us til she finds a place (got a new job, sold her house) and it's thrown me off my dinner game.

I made this last week if you're looking for an acorn squash recipe:

http://www.hgtv.com/design/make-and-celebrate/entertaining/quinoa-stuffed-acorn-squash-recipe?soc=pinterest

It was really good! I didn't have goat cheese on hand though so I'm sure that will make it even better. Also, forgot to make the quinoa with some kind of stock so it was a little bland.

Formerly martha1818

• Options

I made this last week if you're looking for an acorn squash recipe:

http://www.hgtv.com/design/make-and-celebrate/entertaining/quinoa-stuffed-acorn-squash-recipe?soc=pinterest

It was really good! I didn't have goat cheese on hand though so I'm sure that will make it even better. Also, forgot to make the quinoa with some kind of stock so it was a little bland.

DH refuses to eat quinoa. :( I would love it though!

• Options
    Dinner with my MIL every night this week (she's in town for work).....that should be interesting since DH is OUT of town for work all week.  I think he scheduled this trip on purpose.....

Also, I'm cooking at our place on Thursday and it will be the first time that MIL sees our new place, AND the first time I've ever cooked for her. Any good recipe suggestions???!?!?!?!?!? 
  • Options
    @cafarrie--Pasta is always a winner! What's the weather going to be like where you are?
  • Options
    Lemon pepper chicken and mashed potatoes.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards