Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Kind of Confused

I am no stranger to Vegas having gone so many times, but when it comes to trying to plan a wedding my head is running around in circles. Newly engaged and trying to figure it all out. I really wanted to have at least the ceremony at Lake Las Vegas, but then where to go after that baffles me. Reception prices out there are a lot and for that I can stay in my hometown. The other annoying this is, we know we are going to invite about 50 people, but not really knowing how many people are gonna come can make or break what to do for a reception. I want to have the traditional first dance and tosses and speeches, but trying not to spend an insane amount of money. The other idea we had was renting a house and having everything there, but then my dream of the lake goes up in flames lol. Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, anything would be helpful.

Holly

Re: Kind of Confused

• Options
    What is your budget for the reception?  I would also start asking around and see if you can get a soft count on how many people would actually go.  We sent out about 40 (which many were for 2 people) invites, and I think we will have about 20 people total attending.
  • Options
    We figure with everything minus airfare this was gonna cost about $10,000, but I really don't want to spend that much on just one day if I don't have to. We have asked around a bit and of course folks are saying yea we are going to come, but until it gets down to it, I know minds will change. From reading this board I see things get booked up quick, so I am glad I am looking well in advance. There are so many great options that it is confusing lol
  • Options
    when i mean everything im also not talking about a dress and all that just that one day
  • Options
    I think in total, including 1st class airfare, we are spending about $13k but we really overspent on our clothing.  We definitely could have done it cheaper.  You really just have to shop around to find what you want.  

We are going during Christmastime, which apparently makes everything more expensive too.  
  • Options
    And we planned everything in about 5 months.  
  • Options
    Vegas has its moments when its cheap. Finding hotels on the cheap that are nice is easy especially if you sign up directly with the hotels. I also recently was there and saw all the new things that opened up like the Brooklyn Bowl and the new hotels and wondering how those were for receptions and what not. I noticed SLS doesn't have any wedding package stuff up, but their suites are tiny. I also looked at the Palms Cribs suite because it has a dedicated DJ booth, but finding accurate pricing on that room hasn't been easy either.
  • Options
    We ended up deciding just to have our ceremony in a big suite and having a friend officiate.  In the long run, I don't know if that really ended up saving us anything or costing more, but we got a discount on our suite with our room block.  

If you use catering for anything, Masterpiece is very reasonably priced.  We are having a cocktail hour in the suite then heading to dinner. We are planning on buying our beer and whatnot from Vons and having it delivered to the hotel.  
  • Options
    I am also wondering if anyone has had any experience at Lake Las Vegas, or renting a home, or even over at the Rio, from what I have seen they have some huge suites.
  • Options
    If you look at littlevegasweddings.com they have some great ideas.  I think I've seen a few weddings at private homes on that site too.  It really depends on what atmosphere you want.  We wanted a Vegas wedding because it's Vegas, so being on the strip was important to us.  
  • Options
    I checked out their site, I didn't see any actual wedding packages. Do you know how much they cost for about 50 people? I figure I would work off our invite number and if people don't come it will just get cheaper lol. Does it include a cake? I also saw a company called Diamond Events and they have a package that includes a wedding cake and DJ. Not sure if they are good though.

Which suite did you pick?
  • Options
    yea i have been reading that site. It is like a wedding bible lol. they don't really tell you what houses they are at. i found some great ones, just wondering if it is worth it. On the plus side you have accommodations for you and some of your guests. Also is there a site for these DDB tours everyone is talking about? Can't go to Vegas and not have any Vegas like pictures too
  • Options
    That site isn't a place to order packages.  They just highlight weddings so you can get ideas.  

We aren't doing a package.  We are doing everything individually ourselves. 

For cake, we used Drago Sisters Bakery.  Again, very reasonably priced.  

We booked the Aria panoramic suite.  We could have gotten a larger suite off strip, but like I said, we wanted to be close to everything.
  • Options
    We booked our suite through VRBO. I don't have experience with renting out a home but my father did for a vacation recently through Homeaway/VRBO and it all went well, it was a lovely home.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @aggiespartan oh i know i meant the Diamond Events, their site has packages that include a cake and DJ with food and drinks that seem decent, just not sure if anyone has used them. I will have to check out Drago Sisters. Are you going to have a DJ?

@vegasbride nice what suite did you get? Nice it seems like a great alternative.
  • Options
    Nah.  If we want to do anything like that, we will probably just go to a club.  We are just going to hook up the ol ipod to the sound system in the suite.
  • Options
    I wonder if it is possible to hold a space in the club without spending a fortune and party it up in your wedding attire.
  • Options

@vegasbride nice what suite did you get? Nice it seems like a great alternative.
    We rented a suite at the Trump. It was hefty, about $1400 for a week, but not bad, considering other Vegas prices. I'm excited.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    $1400 for a week isn't bad at all! especially considering it is a suite. That is awesome
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    @ lglepper thanks...that is amazing! is everything DIY or are you getting a coordinator? Are you doing any of the traditional things? I have to check out all these great things you mentioned!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    @lglepper WOW, you are planning a wedding for under $6k with 55 ppl coming? My budget blew up to $11k. I started at $5k. Can I know your secrets? LOL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with @vegasbride2015.  I have no clue how you stayed at $6k.  We are doing all the work with the vendors on our own too and I have no idea how we could cut our expenses basically in half. 
  • Options
    I'm trying not to stress about it now as I have 10 months to pay stuff off, and be like Hakuna Matata! LOL! It's tough though, when I start looking at how much I am spending. I created an Excel spreadsheet with three columns: Estimated Cost, Spent to Date, and Final to keep my eyes on the budget. I could scrimp and go cheaper on certain things and I am considering it (like not getting the ring I would like, just a "starter" ring), but we will see.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I want to know the secret too! Mine is like $15000!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @vegasbride2015 I think if you can then get the ring you want. That is something you will be wearing everyday the wedding and reception is one day.
  • Options
    @nyhollyday our reception and wedding are lumped into one, and it's not horribly expensive, but still...everything is adding up fast. I'm looking at alternatives for the ring I want, but nothing compares.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We have several pages on a spreadsheet going including budget, RSVPs, vendors, packing list, grocery list, and a daily schedule for the week.  It's getting out of control!!
  • Options
    if anyone hasn't gotten their plane tickets or want to help their guests...take a look at airfarewatchdog for cheap flights. I have a travel blog site so the travel stuff is the easy part to me
  • Options
    We have several pages on a spreadsheet going including budget, RSVPs, vendors, packing list, grocery list, and a daily schedule for the week.  It's getting out of control!!
    Wow. I don't feel so bad now...I have a daily schedule for the week (or itinerary, if you will). Thank god, I thought I was being type A. LOL!

@nyhollyday thank you! I will take a look at that when it gets closer. I see that Alaska Air (who I fly through - miles and all) has already begun booking flights for when we need to be in Vegas...which isn't but 10 months out, but I am holding off for a bit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @aggiespartan -  I've got 9 sheets on our spreadsheet!  Out of control is right!
    We had our dream wedding in Las Vegas - 11.29.2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards